MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2002, 12:25 AM   #1
Tim C
Registered Member

Default I Broke my car at the strip !!

I launched at 4000 rpm (wanted to really show up Mercury), and I heard the pinion snubber hit under the car. After that, every time I would shift, and when I put the clutch in at the end of the run, the back of the car would wobble . I didnt find anything obvious wrong, and it would only do the wobble when declutching under full throttle above 5500 rpm. By the way that was thursday.

Friday at work, I put the car on the lift, and found the left lower torque box (which the control arms are bolted to)cracked and the spot welds tearing . Saturday, I welded the torque boxes down the seams (no more weak *** spot welds for me!), and noticed the bushings were moving on the left lower control arm only. Saturday night after cruising I was on my way home and the car was dog tracking BAD. If I were to have put my hands at 10 and 2 they would have been at 12 and 4 if you know what I mean. Sunday (today) I pulled the left lower control arm off, and found both polyeurethane bushings busted (I have Lakewood LCA and UCAs). Now I'm cruising with the stock left LCA and after market UCA and right LCA the steering wheel is straight again, but it still wobbles from the rubber bushings.

Im going to get the Wild Rides Battle Boxes welded in soon, and my car is now know as the Wobblestang

Tim
Tim C is offline   Reply With Quote