MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-2003, 05:37 PM   #1
OZ98Cobra
Registered Member

Default KYB AGX performance

I have recently installed a set of KYB AGXs on my 98 Cobra. I figured that they would be more versatile than non-adjustables on what is essentially a daily driver (on bumpy Dallas roads) that also hits the track about twice a year and takes the "scenic route" whenever possible.

These AGXs are at the cheaper end of the scale as far as adjustable shocks go, however, they appear to be well put together. The adjustment changes both compression and rebound damping simultaneously.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to be valved right at all, especially the rears? When set to low (soft) settings like 1,2 or 3 (the rears are 8-way adjustable) it bounces all over the show and rides worse than the worn out stock shocks - it feels like there is not anywhere near enough rebound damping to control the springs. If you crank them up to 4 or 5 to get enough rebound damping to control the bounce, then the compression side is way to hard for daily driving - any harder than that and they are clearly over damped and it skips over rough surfaces badly. The fronts don't seem too bad, but it is a bit hard to tell for sure with the backs so wacky.

I would like to know if anyone else has had experience with these AGXs, and if so, did you get them to work right, or have others found them to be inadequate as well? I have searched the forums and haven't found a whole lot on them which I guess could mean that either no one uses 'em or those that do don't talk about 'em?

For info, the springs are Motorsport B's (not keen to go any harder on Dallas' teeth rattlin' streets) and the rest of the rear suspension is stock but in great shape - the car has only done 40,000.

Finally, Tokico Illuminas also adjust both compression and rebound at the same time - do they suffer the same problem or have Tokico done a better job of getting the valving right for the Mustang?

Daron
A Falcon that's better than a Mustang?
A 4 door that's better than a 2 door?
Only if it's an FPV!
OZ98Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote