MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2004, 11:30 PM   #1
LM5000
Registered Member

Angry Overrev ?

Guys, I have just installed a rebuilt engine about a month and a half ago. The engine consisted of 308 cu.in. with ported stock head, and E-cam with forge piston, etc. After the car broke in at 500 miles, I decided to test the car (before that I was babying it) and took the car for a spin. First gear, rev the engine to about 5500 RPM and shift!! WAHHHH !!! gas pedal stuck on me, I shut off the engine right away and let the car roll down to stop. Pull the cable back to its position, started the car and found nothing wrong and drove the car home.
3 weeks later, normal driving to pick up my son but when I parked the car, I heard a loud ticking noise coming from the driver side valve cover. Drove for a couple blocks, the sound was getting louder so I stop the car and called shop owner who built and instlled the engine for me and he sent a tow truck to pick my car up.
The next day, he told me that I overrev the engine which broke lifter keeper damaged the lifter and destroyed the cam. My engine has 12000 miles or 12 months warranty from him unless the engine suffered from overheat or overrev. Another word he was trying to say that it was my falut. My question to you guys are " If I really overrev the engine, why my car still running good for another 3 weeks ?" If I floated the valve like he said, wouldn't the damaged be exposed right away? Are there any other reason for keeper to break like that ?
Any help, I would greatly appreciated because I am very upset right now.
93 coupe LX with procarparts cold air system, 4.10 gear,BBK headers, hedman X pipe, mac catback system, aluminum drive shaft, cobra tranny, king cobra clutch, march pullies, Edelbrok intake (port), 73 mm mass air, 3 cores radiator, nitrous works 125 shots, blue thunder shifter with aluminum knob, lakewook traction bars, and weld 15x6 front and 15x10 rear.
LM5000 is offline   Reply With Quote