MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2000, 03:56 PM   #1
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Question Side Exhaust...

I'm considering doing some suspension work which would preclude rear exiting exhaulst pipes. My choices are running turn downs or a side exhaust. I can't really run turn downs and keep it so it passes inspection.
So, side exhaust. I like my current exhaust and would hate to drop a good amount of money to buy a side exhaust set up. The Kar Kraft, SVO, and Roush, all using Borla mufflers, are the only ones I've found. The cheapest being nearly $500.

The other possible action I'm thinking of is fabricating a side exhaulst using my existing mufflers. The idea would be to cut the pipes connecting the mufflers to the x-pipe and moving the mufflers forward. It then appears that I would have enough room to run fairly sharply bending tail pipes out the side. Hanging the mufflers and pipes may take some minor welding and there's a shop which can fab the tail-pipes pretty cheaply.

Would this work? I've just eye-balled it, but there appears to be room. Is there any disadvanted to moving the mufflers closer to the x-pipe?

This is just an idea I'm kicking around, but any input would be appriciated.

Thanks!
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote