MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-06-2004, 01:52 AM   #1
Terrifson77
Registered Member

Question Curious T-5 swap...

Ok, we've all heard the questions about doing the 'ole AOD to T-5 swap... I've had several stangs with both gearboxes, and had them in and out several times, but never felt the need to exchange one for the other... Until recently. I have a '91 5.0 with the venerable old AOD in her. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the slushbox, except that it is just that... a slushbox.

Having made my decision to swap, I have since done hours of research on the net sorting out compatability issues, and I've come down to one ultimate question... If I use the SN95 style T-5 with the longer input shaft, is that little-bity 5/8 of an inch REALLY going to matter??? The FOX3 5.0s have a 1" shorter bellhousing than their SN95 cousins, so in theory, wouldn't that make up the difference, or is swapping the tailshaft to an older T-5 the only route...? Where would this place the tranny in relation to my crossmember?

I am currently looking at using the T-5 from a 3.8L, since they are VERY available from a local salvage yard and, while a little weaker than the WC, the gear ratios are the same and they're a fraction of the price. I know the '99+ V6 T-5s are pretty stout, but they have a lot of electrics in them, so I might steer clear of them.

Sorry to be long winded, but I have many questions. If anyone has seen or heard of the SN95 T-5 being put in a '93-older car, please let me know if it worked. Thanks for all the help, everybody.

Jeff
Old 09-06-2004, 04:12 PM   #2
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

Stick with a 5.0L t-5 and bell housing, and all components.. The v6's have differnet gear ratio's and are weaker..
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 11:20 PM   #3
Terrifson77
Registered Member

Thanks for the input, 88fivepointoh... I do realize that the V8 T-5s have a hardened input shaft and the carbon fiber lined synchronizer spacers, etc, but surprisingly the V6 T-5s have almost the exact same ratios as the V8 ones do. 2nd, 3rd, and 5th are different by about .005:1, give or take. Believe me , I would rather have a Fox's T-5 setup, and if money were no object, it would be done already. As a poor college student, I have to be able to stretch the dollar as far as it can go, so I'm doing my best to research every possibility for a compatable donor. I've got my eye on a couple of trannys on e-bay, but I'd almost trust one from a junkyard more. That, and the only shipping costs will involve loading it in my dad's truck and driving home. Still looking for anyone who has seen or heard of an SN95 T-5 being used on a Fox3 motor, and how they solved the input shaft length issues... Thanks for any help.

Jeff
Old 09-07-2004, 01:55 PM   #4
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

I am sure someone will reply on this.. keep a positive attitude.. You'll be fine.
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 05:49 PM   #5
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

You can pick up good T5's out of 87-93 5.0's all day for 300 bux.

You can use a SN tranny in a fox but if you put a fox tranny in an SN you will be punching the stereo when you shift into 1st, 3rd and 5th.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 01:12 AM   #6
Terrifson77
Registered Member

Yeah, I've seen a few tech articles on the SN95 guys using the Fox3 T-5,s and they end up swapping out the tailshaft... I hope that you're right Dark_50, and that I won't have any clearance issues... I'm gonna be picking up a tranny as soon as I'm done painting her. Thanks for the info, guys...

Jeff

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: