MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-02-2002, 04:45 PM   #1
Mustang Cain

Question Tuning the computer?

Well i just found out that the guy i bought my 95 GT had the computer "tuned" for a richer mixture so he could make some later mods (that he never did) to turn this car into a Saleen. This explains my Missfire at idle and the VERY black tail pipes. What im wondering is is there a way to tune the computer or does a person have to have a chip burned. Im assuming theres a burned chip in it. If thats the case were can i get a stock chip so i can get my mileage back until i have the money to do some mods to this car. Or is there a way to tune the computer with a scanner or PC? I know hypertech doesnt make a scanner for 95s. Would it be cheaper for me to just go ahead and make the mods (headers, exhaust etc) to lean out this rich mix?
Old 03-02-2002, 06:54 PM   #2
gtsr515
Registered Member

Well, the only way the former mentioned could have "tuned" the computer is as you mentioned, with a chip or piggyback unit, the only way to de-tune it is remove the custom chip. I'm pretty sure that if it was tuned with a piggyback unit the second that unit was removed and the car restarted, that info would no longer effect the car. Disconnect the battery overnight and see what it feels like after that.
Old 03-02-2002, 11:21 PM   #3
Mustang Cain

The engine computer is located behind the right hand kick panel right? If it is i looked at it and theres no piggyback chip such as a jet chip or anything like that on there. Only thing i could figure is that the guy put a saleen comp in there. If its not the computer than what could be causing the rich mix. There are no codes in the computer i checked it with a scanner. I have no idea what the fuel pressure is ill have to check it. Could the o2 sensor(s) be messed up or would it set a code if it was?
Old 03-02-2002, 11:34 PM   #4
gtsr515
Registered Member

Yes, the 02's could be "out of range" which is FORDspeak for bad, but, they would 100% code bad if they were. I'm with ya bud, waiting.........
Old 03-03-2002, 01:56 AM   #5
DRASTiK
Registered Member

This is just a thought, but what MAF is in your car? If he put a MAF or tube in it that is calibrated for different size injectors than you currently have, it would make it run kinda screwy.
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 11:31 AM   #6
Capri306

That's a good point, D&R Stang, especially if he has the stock MAF and bigger-than-stock injectors.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 05:21 PM   #7
Mustang Cain

The MAF looks stock but i have no clue as what to look for in differences between stock GT and Saleen. Does the saleen MAF use a huge black covering around it? The injectors are stock. They have the Yellow tops on them. Im going to call a shop today that can tune computers and see what they charge. If its more than upgrading the ignition system ill do that. Anyone ever heard of/used Performance distributor's Screamin Deamon coil, Dynamod, livewires? I figure ill get some more spark and burn all the extra fuel and get a few more ponies too.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:40 PM   #8
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Run the dog pee out of a 5.0 and the pipes will be black anyway. A bigger spark won't burn more fuel (you'll need more air for that). My fox car had a slight mis-fire at idle, I would tune up the ignition and it would go away for about a day and be right back.

I don't think the old EEC-IV's could be flash programed? So it seems odd to me unless he put a chip.If you've got no chip, injectors or mass-air and everything is bone stock, then I think its hip wadder time on that.
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 04:19 PM   #9
Mustang Cain

well as it turns out the thing is running lean and not rich. Fuel pressure test shows that with the key on engine off 20 psi (supposed to be 35-45 psi) and key on engine running shows 30 (supposed to be 30-45 psi) my auto teacher thinks that the lean condition could be caused by an exhaust leak thats letting air get to the O2 sensor. This doesnt make sense to me because i would figure the computer would richin the mixture, right? I put the car on a 5 gas emission tester and it showed an O2 reading of like 9.04 and Co2 reading of 8.01. There are no codes in the computer on either KOEO or KOER. any suggestions?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: