MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-25-2002, 10:56 PM   #1
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

Default Very fast idleing 3.8L T-Bird

I need some help here. My neighbor complained to me a week ago that when she would start the car cold it would die by the time she got down her driveway. die at stop signs and when it warmed up it would stay running. Yesterday she calls me says the engine started running real crappy so she put it in neutral and held the gas to keep it running. The next stop sign she said it started running real fast and lerched forward on her. I went to see the car started it and its running atleast 3000 RPM maybe more, no tach on the car and i dont have one to put on it. Found one vacuum leak, plugged it and it helped a very small amount. Bought one of those $30 crappy code readers from autozone and i cant figure out the codes its giving me. Cant tell if it 1 or 2 or 33, 333? Could this be the IAC stuck? the throttle blad is shut and i cant find any other leaks. By the way its an 89 auto. Thanks
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 05:25 PM   #2
GodStang
College Stanger

I would check the throttle and make sure that it is set right. It can be adjusted to throttle about 700 rpms when warmed up.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:40 AM   #3
Bake
Registered Member

Since thunderbirds use the same engine as us exept for the air filter unit and heads. im assuming the throttle link is stll in the same place. i would check to see if there is any lumpy crap on the calbe from the pedal to the throttle itself, after i cleaned my car one day i had rubbed down the cable and a peice of spunge got stuck under the little white jobby that controls the trottle so it was stuck at about 1/4 throttle, when i started it i noticed my pedal was a little far back and i check it, pulled it out then it was fine, maybe there is some kind of debri on it tht melts in the hot and slides easy and clumps in the cold.. i dont know, just a thought. probably so far off, but meh, you never know.
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: