MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-07-2002, 04:17 PM   #1
Blue01GT
Registered Member

Unhappy Speedcal install please help!!!

I got a 2001 GT (early 01) so that means i got the T-45

I changed my gears to 3.73s and got a dallas mustang speedcal from steeda. The first one they sent me didnt work and i thought it was defective, but now i got another one and it doesnt work either!

I used the scotch clip to attatch the red wire to the cigarette lighter blue/white wire. Then i attatched the speedcal wires to the tranny and connected the stock grey/red ground wire to the speedcal grey wire (in the little plastic connector)

When i reconnect the battery and put in the key, all the guages including the speedometer go all the way to the right then back to the left. so it looks like power is good. but my speedometer does not show ANY READING when im moving!

I took it all apart and did it all again according to the instructons and the install looks good. I am a computer tech so i think i know how to handle wiring, but this will just now work! If i put it back to stock then the speedometer works again (but too fast) so what the heckl is happening?? Has this happened to anyone before? Please help! Or maybe if someone knows a shop in the socal area that knows about this stuff and could take a look?

Someone please help im tired of having a wrong speedometer...thanx!
Blue01GT
Old 09-07-2002, 04:49 PM   #2
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Did you clip the wrong wire!!??

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 05:22 PM   #3
Blue01GT
Registered Member

According to the directions, the red speedcal wire clips to the cigarette blue/white wire. Thats what i did. And when i reset the battery the speedometer will move along with the other guages so i think that means power is getting to it.

Has anyone had problems before installing a speedcal box? How did those problems get fixed? any shops in socal that can help me?
Old 09-07-2002, 05:35 PM   #4
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue01GT
According to the directions, the red speedcal wire clips to the cigarette blue/white wire. Thats what i did. And when i reset the battery the speedometer will move along with the other guages so i think that means power is getting to it.

Has anyone had problems before installing a speedcal box? How did those problems get fixed? any shops in socal that can help me?
Chicane sport tuning is good...they're in socal.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 03:20 AM   #5
Blue01GT
Registered Member

FINALLY i got it to work!

I reinstalled it from step 1 for the hundredth time and this time i paid some extra EXTRA attention to the scotch clip and found that the red wire wasnt connecting enough with the metal clip (even though the plastic was beng cut through, making it look like a good connection). So i took the red wire and folded it over and stripped about 1 inch of plastic clean off. then i put it back together and now it works!!!!

Funny though, in reverse my speedometer jumpe quickly from 0 to 150 over and over. Also it sometimes does this if im rolling at less than 5mph in forward gear. Does that happen to anyone else? not like i care that much now that i finally have accurate speedo!
Old 09-12-2002, 10:17 AM   #6
stangman96
Ford Dealer Mechanic

sounds to me like you have a loose connection somewhere, i installed mine no problem, but then it didnt work right away, i read it agian and found my mistake, it works perfect now, but mine is a 96 and i dont have the HEC module like you do, but it still reads a digital signal. the things i can think of are in the first place, ditch those crappy connections (scotchlocks) and solder your wires in-line, and second, make sure all your switches are set in the correct position, otherwise, you encounter what you have now....
Old 09-12-2002, 10:22 AM   #7
stangman96
Ford Dealer Mechanic

the reason you needles move to the max (its called a sweep or self test) is most likely you tapped the wrong wire for power, i am not sure u sould have the power on the cig supply, it should be ignition only, so it is powered when key is on.. electrical add on cause havoc on all the rest of the electronics, hence your needle sweep, these cars are using multi-plex communications, in other words, modules "talk" to one another for info, speedo is considered the HEC module, or hybrid electronic cluster module, fords fancy way of a speedo with a brain. hope this helps you and you get your bug worked out...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: