MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-16-2004, 02:30 PM   #1
Solarassult
Registered Member

Default Boring/ stroking ???

Ok i might seem less then educated for asking this but i really need to know whatit means to bore an engine. Please if anyone could tell me whats involved and the benifits please do. Also I have seen stroker kits that take a 302 to 347 what is envolved in that and what are the benifits there. And can they both be done to the same motor? thanks
Old 09-16-2004, 09:32 PM   #2
sdd228
Registered Member

yeah iwould like to know these things too!!!! i need to know what to do to my car next?
Nitto DR's 245/50R16
NOS hopefully 100 shot
sdd228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:36 PM   #3
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Ok first off there are eight cylinders in a 302. From the factory they are bored out to 4.002" diameter. To bore out an engine is to make the diameter of the cylinder larger. For instance, .030 over would make it 4.032" diameter. The only reason for doing this is because or cylinder wear NOT to make more power. A .030 over 302 would calculate out to be a 306. 4 whole cubic inches of displacement. WOO HOO, your making some power now! The rings on the piston will wear the cylinder's diameter out larger, thus, they will not seal off. Lack of oil, hot temperatures will aid this in happening. The wear causes blow-by, poor durability, more oil consumption. The car will also blow blue smoke out of the tailpipe when the rings are shot. So you have the engine bored out, buy oversize pistons and matching rings, and you have yourself an overhauled engine. It is all about salvaging a block.

The stroke is the other part of the equation to an engine's displacement. The bore and the stroke combined make up a displacement. The stroke is the amount of travel the piston moves up or down in the cylinder. The piston is attached to a connecting rod with a wrist pin. The connecting rod is attached to the crankshaft with a bearing and a cap. Held together with two studs and nuts. The crank has an offset cast into it. A different offset for each cylinder so they can fire at different times. This offset along with the rod length is what determines the stroke. The stroke of a 302 is 3.00". The stroke of a 347 is 3.400". The increase of stroke is for making more torque. In turn it makes more hp too. A standard bore 302 with a 3.400" crank in it is a 342. Now that you have more stroke, when you bore the engine out it becomes a 347. When you want to stroke an engine, you'll need a different crank because it will have more offset or "throw" cast into it. Then if you put the same rod on it with a stock piston, you would be pushing it out of the cylinder into the head=not good. So you have to have a special length rod and matching piston. One motor where this is not the case is the 393W. You can build one of these using a stock 351W rod, 302 pistons, and an aftermarket 3.85" crank. The crank is all you have to buy.

I hope I have shed some light on this for you without confusing you. I was trying to hit the basics of this without typing way too much. I don't know what you know and what you don't. If need a better description, just ask. I am not the best teacher in the world.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:33 PM   #4
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Yeah, what he said! Awesome dude! Well thought out, and well put.

Although rod length itself does not have any affect on cubes, it merely sets the static distance between the piston and the crank. It IS however, a very important part of a stroker motor. It sets the total height of the piston in relation to the block, and as you stated, shoving the piston out the top if the block is NOT good.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 01:04 AM   #5
Solarassult
Registered Member

Ok i want to get more cubes from my 302 but it will remain a driver. I want 11's so i can burn street racers into the ground. Any sugestions about a stroker kit and otehr mods that will complement the kit well. Id like to get 350 hp before i used forced induction or nitrous. How do the strokers kits handle nitrous and an s-trim? Also as much as you want to tell/teach me i want to know/ learn so type as much as you want ill be very thankful. Thank for the explenation. Also boring doesnt matter unless the block is almost done correct?
Old 09-17-2004, 08:08 AM   #6
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Heh, heh, that was off the top of my head. Thanks for filling in the holes, jester.

Solar, I am not sure what you are asking in that last sentence. This is how 302 blocks handle nitrous and a s trim:
I don't know who's block that is, but I found it on the internet one time and had to save it for future reference.

350 rwhp will run in the 12's all day long. Put a 75 shot of nitrous on that and see some 11's. But you have to have the suspension goodies and slicks to acheive that. If all you want to do is burn ricer cars, a high compression 302 with good breathing mods(heads, intake, cam) combined with some 4.10 gears would smoke 90% of them. In my area, it would smoke them all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: