MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-29-2006, 07:20 PM   #1
Elvis
Registered Member

Default Power Steering Pump

My '67 has power steering which whines a lot especially when I first start it up. The system has had a few leaks in the past but I think I have them under control. The pump will whine even when the fluid is topped up. Do you think it is time for a new pump? I've had the car for about eight years so I'm not sure how old the pump is but it is at least eight plus years. Also, I'm trying to dress up the engine compartment a bit so I thought that a chrome pump would be nice. None of my catalogues have chrome pumps. Any ideas? Thanks. E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

Default Re: Power Steering Pump

Hmmm...this looks familiar. Did you repost this from earlier? I thought I replied to it...
DeltaMustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
Elvis
Registered Member

Nope. That was my only post with this question and you were the only response. The power steering seems to work fine - it is just an annoying whine. Time for a new pump? E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

Ah, geez...must've been thanks to my gf's stupid computer. It's been crapping out like crazy lately. It must have had a hiccup or something when I was sending my original reply.

Anyway, what was I saying?

1. You might have done this already, but if you haven't, check the belts and pulleys to see if they're aligned properly. You know how it's always the simplest things that make those crazy noises...

2. I'm not sure what "under control" means, but if it's anything short of a rebuild or replacement, it's probably just delaying the inevitable. Which of course might be why you're showing symptoms now.

3. I've had my '65 coupe for about 5 years, and I rebuilt the pump about 2 years ago. If you want, you can get replacement pumps for around $80 bucks at Mustangs Plus or a similar parts shop.

4. I wouldn't go with chrome, I've had bad experiences with it. I got a $125 chrome alternator that melted on me in 6 months. Apparently they have problems grounding which nobody saw fit to tell me before I bought it. Also, chrome is just a pain to clean. It attracts dirt and grime like crazy, and it likes to get these little scratches from nowhere. They're just a pain. If you want the pump chrome, that's fine. I'd try Summit, they might have something.

I think that was it. Whew...

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/deltamustang65/

If Nissan Motorsports = NISMO, wouldn't Honda Motorsports = HOMO?
DeltaMustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #5
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Make sure the return line is tight, so it doesn't suck air. If everything seems tight, replace the pump.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: