MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-10-2002, 06:34 PM   #1
Tod
Registered Member

Default another flesh wound for the stang :(

Wednsday i'm driving home from Cleveland with my girlfriend (went with her to buy books for her fall classes). it's about 3:30pm, medium heavy traffic but everyone is hummin' along pretty good (70+mph). I'm in the middle lane and in front of me is a sedan and in front of him was a truck about the size of a moving van, pretty decent size. big enough where you can't exactly see the road in front of you very well.

i'm at a nice safe distance behind the sedan in front of me (about 15ft or so). as i turn to look in my blind spot on my left to get into the left lane, when i hear a muffled *thump-edy thump* and i feel that something struck the side of the car on the passenger side. i look immediately in my passenger-side mirror to see a 2 1/2 foot long piece of shredded tire flopping down the highway. I immediately ask my girlfriend if she's ok and if she saw where the tire hit, but she couldn't really tell even though she saw the tire in the air but didn't think it would hit the car. after inspection at a gas station at the very next exit, i realize that the truck 2 vehicles up had struck the piece of tire, shot it up in the air and it landed just behind my headlight (scuffed the blackout), ran up over the the front fender, clocked my antenna, throwing it down again and got some more of the car right behind the passenger-side door leaving scratch marks and some black tire scuffs at each spot.

i was incredibly muffed off to say the least. WHAT NEXT? lately i've been finding more and more blemishes in the paint and now more than ever i need a touch-up job. i'm going in for an estimate on a rare free day on Monday and see if my insurance will take care of something like this. at this point i think the car will not see the highway for a little while, poor thing has enough to worry about people dingin her in the mall parking lot.

*sigh*

thanks for listening to the rant, i need a force field around the car that repels debris on the road/highway, doors, or anything else that might subject injury to one's paint. oh well, maybe a protective force field will be an option for the 2015 Mustang heh
Old 08-10-2002, 06:53 PM   #2
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Man, that sucks...I feel for you...and I definitely know what you mean about that forcefield thing!!

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 07:08 PM   #3
PKRWUD

Man, that really does suck!!! Sorry to hear it!

BTW, and I know it probably has nothing to do with what happened, but 15 feet at 70 mph is not even close to a "safe distance". Do the math*. At 70 mph, you need to be over 200 feet behind the vehicle in front of you to be at the very closest "safe" distance.

*You should always be at least 2 seconds behind the vehicle in front of you, regardless of speed. At 70 mph, you are travelling at over 102 feet per second, so in order to be 2 seconds behind, you would have to be over 200 feet back.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 08:47 PM   #4
LayanRubr
Registered Member

Man I know whatca mean! Seems like theres ALWAYS something wrong with my Stangs body. Theres this then this.... Oh well at least we have a mustang?
Rice Hater's Club member #20
LayanRubr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 10:00 PM   #5
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

I sucks that the tire hit your car but at least it was an accident. I know what you mean about having a force field around your Mustang...You could be the safest driver in the world but you still can't control how other people drive.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 11:29 PM   #6
Stang Obsession
Registered Member

Talking

If that would've been me...I think I would've chased that stupid driver down and beat him up...lol. I'm so feisty though. Actually, I would've taken my car to the emergency room...lol!
Stang Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 12:23 AM   #7
jj_jonathon
Trisket

our foxbody hit a tire on the highway once, smashed the left foglight to tiny pieces... those tires are horrible...they leave them all over the highways in FL...especially I-4...thats considered one of the very worst rated highways in the nation (cuz of disney...grr!...damn tourists..lol)....sorry about your car...this crap happens and paint gets buffed, at least it didnt cause a serious accident for you guys...now that wouldve been bad :\ just the other guy a guy hit a concrete support for a bridge in the median of I-75 at full force...i swear it was the first time id seen an accident like that where it went all the way up to the dashboard.... ...the highway is just not safe but whatcha gunna do?....

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote