MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-23-2003, 12:23 AM   #1
STR864
Registered Member

Default 87 5.0 questions

Hey guyz....Got a question....someone told me that the 87 5.0 motor was one of the worst fuel injected motors ford made?!?! in doing my swap (65 Mustang Inline 6 to 302) I was told I should just change the motor over to carborated instead of fuel injected. Is this true about this motor?? oh ya...the guy also mentioned that it is a SMOG motor?? Smog??? didn't understand..any help would be highly appreciated...thank you
STR864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:53 AM   #2
Mustanguy

Cool

Quote:
someone told me that the 87 5.0 motor was one of the worst fuel injected motors ford made
Sure is alotta mis-information floating around lately,there's absolutely nothing wrong with the '87 EFI motors that are in the 5.0 Mustangs. They come with forged pistons,roller cam,they were built right from the factory,made to take abuse and ask for more

What they meant by smog motor is,the EFI motors all have a smog pump system,for pollution control,but thats no big deal,take it all off,no worries,go for the swap,if you want carbed go carbed,but you can't go wrong by going EFI either
Old 04-23-2003, 07:39 AM   #3
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

going carb would be EASIEST... if that's what you're shooting for... but an EFI 65 mustang would be a nice swap... though If you're going to go through all the trouble of swaping you might wanna put some nice heads, intake and cam in there before you drop it in... 225 out of the factory isnt bad but it's nothing special...
-as
Old 04-24-2003, 08:45 AM   #4
STR864
Registered Member

Hey thank you guys....I didn't think there was anything wrong with the 5.0 I bought...and to putting the pistion and cam in is going to be hard...I'm only 20 working full time and going to college full time ;( Money sux! And the smog pump is what I figured he was talking about when he called it a smog motor, but I have already planned to pull it off. Same thing with the AC on the motor! So that should give me a little bit more of a kick ....but if you want to see what I've put into my baby check out my website Tom's Website !! please reply and tell me what you think of it!! thanks guys for all the help.
STR864 is offline   Reply With Quote