MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-26-2003, 01:19 PM   #1
MustangNewb
Registered Member

Default Captivated.

Background: I'm a 22 year-old college student from Queens, New York. I've always been turned on by cars, speed and mechanical engineering, I've just never got myself involved.

The Car: 1989 Mustang LX 2.3L 4-Cylinder Notchback, AT

The Problem: 1/4 mile in roughly 46 seconds

The Story: Well my '84 Regal kicked the bucket with a busted tranny, I picked it up for 800 about 5 years ago, it lasted long enough that's for sure. Point A to point B car. So I was in the market for a new car and I've always had a soft spot for the pony car. Wouldn't you know it? The day my Buick decided it was better to self terminate then have me drive it anymore a guy puts a blk on blk 1989 Mustang LX 2.3L 4-Cylinder Notchback, AT in EXCELLENT condition on my block with a for sale sign, $650!

Everyone I spoke to says I got this car for a steal, 105k miles on it and the tranny was rebuilt about 20k miles ago. The guy just wanted to get rid of it, was his girlfriend's car and she just bought a semi-new Grand Am. Anyways, I fell in love. This car was just what I needed to light the fire under my *** and give a damn about speed. Granted it's slow as **** but I find myself excited about owning a Mustang, sorta like that feeling you got when you were a kid on Christmas Eve.

Obsession. I spent an entire day washing and waxing this thing a week after I bought it (of course it rained the next 7 days after, including today). I'm looking to get started fine tuning this thing and I want to do a conversion to a 5.0 w/ 5-speed tranny.

My questions: Should I do a conversion? Or save up and sell this thing and just buy an LX w/ a 5.0 already inside? Is there anything I should do now to it besides the usual maintance? I know squat and **** about cars atm but I am very technically inclined, where do I get started?

My goals are to street race. I'm not a **** talker, I'm competitive, but friendly competitive. I'm not going to be starting any fists fights over anything.

I have a Ford upbringing so I am definately impartial to keeping the block windsorish, but wouldn't be opposed to a cross-bread if it saved me big bucks somehow (don't shoot me). Thanks for taking the time out to read this!
Old 05-26-2003, 04:10 PM   #2
PKRWUD

Forget the car, build an engine. When it's finished, if you still have the '89, swap the engine. If you don't, it will be because you found a more worthwhile vehicle.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 10:07 PM   #3
TwiLighTBluEGT
Registered Member

If you like the car and if its in immaculate condition like you say it is, then by all means keep it. I would keep it my daily driver and save my money for a real 5.0. Theres nothing wrong with owning two stangs

Engine: FMS 65mm tb/spacer, C&L 73mm maf, MAC cai.

Drivetrain: Built AOD w/ Edge 2800rpm lockup converter, hardened 3-4 inner shaft, Trans-Go shift kit, B&M supercooler, FMS 3.73 gears & aluminum d/s, rebuilt traction lock.

Exhaust: BBK unequal length shorty headers, BBK o/r h-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers.

Chassis/suspension/brakes: Kenny Brown supersubs.

The rest is stock.
TwiLighTBluEGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 10:38 PM   #4
MustangNewb
Registered Member

You know that's not a half bad idea, fix the minor imperfections on the body, get some nice rims, a spoiler so my tail doesn't look like a Corolla, a mach 1 hood and I got a cool looking daily driving car and I can save up for a 5.0 LX or a GT for my project car. Maybe I'll even get ground effects for it.

Thanks Twilight, I'm gonna do that. Course it'll take longer to get the 5.0 cause I'll be sinking money into the body of the 4 cyl

Last edited by MustangNewb; 05-26-2003 at 11:55 PM..
MustangNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 01:15 PM   #5
302crew
Registered Member

i can do the 5.0 swap and probaly get you everything for a good price
Old 05-28-2003, 02:32 PM   #6
MustangNewb
Registered Member

How much are we talking about? Tranny, block and rear end included?