MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-07-2004, 01:40 AM   #21
silver50lx
Registered Member

i have no knowledge on this subject but a quick question ive heard that longtubes wont pass emmisions. i dont know if this is true or not or if it has to do with the cats on your h/x pipe. if anyone can help me out with this that would be great...thanks
silver50lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:08 AM   #22
crazypete
Registered Member

They'll pass if you go through the trouble of getting a pair with o2 sensor bungs and a short h-pipe with cats. $$$

Otherwise I do not believe they change the emissions profile that much.

Then again, here in MA, everything is illegal anyway. Just get a mechanic who doesnt open the hood.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 11:20 AM   #23
RDRZ
Registered Member

Crazypete - are emissions in MA hard to pass as well? I live in CA and I've heard that CA smog check is the hardest to pass out of all the states. Either way, the headers I have to get have to have the spot for the O2 sensor as well as a c.a.r.b. number for california. I have a mechanic who'll pass it without a c.a.r.b but I don't like to use him alot as I have other cars that need passing. If I can do this and keep it "smogable," it would be much better in the long run.
RDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 11:41 AM   #24
crazypete
Registered Member

As I hinted before, practically nothing is legal. I have seen holley carbs complete with egr and pcv nozzles stamped not legal for use on emissions controlled vehicles.

As for actually passing, if you have cats and o2 sensors, I do not believe anyone will give you trouble about it unless they dont like you to begin with. I cannot imagine the lovely state of california being filled with hotrods rodding around on stock exhaust. Think about it that way. The first thing to go on any mustang is usually the exhaust. Plenty of stangs in CA which means the shop guys are used to seeing lots of aftermarket exhaust.

I took my car to a ford dealer once and I got nitpicked on everything. I took it to a local shop where the guys have done a lot of installs for me before and they passed it to keep me happy and keep my business. Technically, I think the blue lightbulbs for the headlights are illegal here too but I see every 10th car driving around with them. It's all about who you go to.

I think the point of all these regulations is to give "the man" an excuse to stop anyone anytime. You dont have to take them all seriously and most mechanics dont.

UNLESS the inspections are done at state centers (RI I think does it that way). Then you'll have some official ignoramous looking at the bottom of your car and he'll see something shiny and fail you in all probability to cover his butt just in case.

Just my thoughts. I say go for it. You only live once. There has to be more than 1 cool mechanic in your area.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 02:31 PM   #25
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

I agree, nothing is legal, and there are more important problems then loud exhaust and xeon lights.. in my opinion on that who the ***K cares about the emissions.. Look at all the desiel semi's poluting the air and factories.. that out weights anything our cars will do. Find a shop that loves hot rods, and go there, you won't have a problem..
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote