MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-09-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
tsidewayz
Registered Member

Default Help with fuel system. Pump not running

Ok, here's the deal. I have a mildly mofdified 91 GT. It has been sitting for the last 7 years waiting for my son to turn 16. Well it almost time. For the first 6 years or so I would start it every couple of weeks. Then a bout a year ago I moved the car from one parking spot to another then let it sit for about 1 month. Tried to start it and nothing. The fuel pump wouldnt fire. I pulled out the pump and direct wired it to a battery. It turned on, no problem. I couldn't find anything wrong. I was able to get the pump to turn on, while in the tank, by grounding the light blue wire coming from the relay under the driver seat.

My question is what is that wire for and does that give any indication of what might be wrong. I have even replaced that relay under the seat.

Any help would be appreciated.

tsidewayz
Old 12-09-2005, 01:05 PM   #2
Joel5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: Help with fuel system. Pump not running

Sounds like the FP relay is not being activated by the ECM,...do you see the check engine light indicator turning on? Your problem could be caused by a bad EEC relay, which is located above the ECM behind the right kick panel. Since the car has been in storage for a long period of time, it is also possible that the problem is simply a bad ECM ground cable or connection. Check the small ground cable by the (-) terminal of the battery and make sure it's clean and making a good connection. Hope this helps.

1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops
NOW: 5.0L Stock SB, X303 Cam, 700 cfm DP Holley, 289 '66 Heads, 1.7 RR, Richmond Gear 4+1 Tranny, Centerforce DF, 2.73 Gears
WIP: 3.90 Gears, LS Overhaul, Adj. LCA's & UCA's (Granatelli), T-Top weather striping and rear braces bodywork
Joel5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote