MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

View Poll Results: Do we need a new Power Adder forum?
Yes! There's enough power adder question it would be heavily used and lighten the load in main tech forums too. 27 50.00%
No. I don't think it would be heavily used right now and the traffic isn't too bad still in the main tech forums. 18 33.33%
I'm undecided. Hard to tell yet, so give it some more time and we'll visit this question again later. 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. This poll is closed

Old 01-17-2002, 08:25 PM   #21
andy669
Registered Member

I think the 4.6 and 5.0 lumped together idea is a non-issue. Most people know what they are dealing with and know enough to separate the advice between the two. I think the new forum is a good idea. It could possibly attract several new faces, maybe a whole new group of power adder people that dont care for the separate Windsor and 4.6 forums.
andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 09:08 PM   #22
Mach 1
Registered Member

Its a great idea, do it!

Who would want to wade through a bunch of crap when looking for power adder advice?

The more specific the forum, the more you can find better quality people to answer the questions.

And also, between blowers, turbos, and nitrous, there is enough material to keep another forum busy.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 09:52 PM   #23
PKRWUD

I wish I had read the replies before casting my vote, because they have changed my mind. My first reaction was to do it, and that is how I voted, but now I'm not so sure. There really isn't that much traffic here as it is, and due to peoples time constraints, most can only view one or two forums at a time. Inevitably, that will lead to reduced traffic in the Windsor forum, which means less experience to share. Eventually, I think it would be a great idea. Maybe by the summer there will be enough traffic to justify it, but right now, I'm not so sure.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 10:53 PM   #24
Unit 5302
Registered Member

So what I'm seeing is a dedicated N20 forum, and Supercharger, and Stroker, and Turbo. The more specialized, the better.

Now, say you want to ask a question about which is best. You have to post in 5 forums. Also, I didn't say you couldn't wade through the topics and weed out the ones that don't apply, but that's exactly what sux about it for slow connection users. Opening up 5 topics, waiting for them to load, then finding out it relates to a windsor engine and not a mod engine would certainly frustrate the crap outta me.

I find it very easy to do a quick scroll through the topics in Windsor to find the ones that relate to strokers or N20, or superchargers, or turbos, etc. I do not find it easy to switch from BOL, to Windsor, to Classic, to SRC. There are obvious reasons for the seperation there.

I don't find there to be a significant difference between stroker engines and stock engines. As for forced induction, most of the same principles cross the boards here too. While they are very different about how they go about making power, the parts selection for the best results are often the same (save for camshafts). Having all the posts in a single forum IMHO likely improves traffic, keeps misinformation down, and improves the knowledge base of all our users. The more specialized you get, less the knowledge base there is to share.

More specialization has been less than stellar for some of our forums. Apperance, Built Ford Tough, Corner Carvers Delight, Club SVT, and Drag Racer aren't super active. Not to say they aren't good forums, I think they've accelerated in use as more new members come here, but how many more of the small forums do you really want to have where somebody posts in a larger forum saying they couldn't get the help they wanted in the smaller one?

I guess it's just my opinion.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 11:32 PM   #25
rbatson

I agree with you, too many forums. I personally have never been to any of the forums you listed but the "Built Ford Tough" forum. I made a post and I think someone replied.. I think. The only forums I care about(personally) would be the lounge, girls can too(I like the girls), street racing, Mod Motors and the Windsor forum. Those are the only places I've been since I've been here. I'm not saying the others aren't good forums.. I'm sure they are great, lots of info going back and forth.

All I'm saying is that, alot of us have strokers, nos, turbos, blowers or a combination of them. I'm not gonna make a post asking what timing would be best in the windsor forum.. who would answer?? If there was a forum for this type of thing, I'd personally feel better about making the post. I'd be more confidient in the replies. Alot of us have outgrown the windsor forum..

I actually felt guilty today about the earlier posts I made, thinking I was selfish wanting a dedicated forum. The thing is.. there are alot of us.. I realized that just reading the replies tonight.

I'm not saying we wouldn't come to the windsor forum, I'm just saying I honestly think it would help the site grow.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:04 AM   #26
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Just lump turbos/Nitrous/and superchargers together and get a moderator that knows whats up and it will be a touchdown period.

I think a power adders forum would attract people that really race there car at the track and want to go faster and faster.
This year I will be entering some of the money races at the track and I will need lots of help with trying to get consistency and reliability out of my nitrous system.

The less students in a class the more attention you get from the teacher.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 06:08 AM   #27
Five0
Registered Member

Like I said in my earlyer post, if there were some check boxes that you could check and then you could visit only those forums at the same time on the same page then I would be a lot happier about the new forum.
RHC Member #44
nochevy@hotmail.com

1991 Mustang LX
Dart iron eagle block, 4340 28oz 347 crank, 4340 h-beam rods, probe ultra light pistons canfield heads “race ported by Brent Frazier”, solid roller cam and lifters “custom grind”, kooks 1 7/8" race headers, and much more.

Engine built by Brent Frazier.
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 06:00 PM   #28
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

Yes definitely!! That is the only reason I go to the Corral. The all motor guys might not care much, but when you're trying to find power adder specific information, it takes FOREVER to scroll through pages of other tech questions. Big two thumbs up for a power adder forum here!
LS1.com takes it another step further and splits nitrous from forced induction which I also like a lot. It's easier to categorize (takes up a bit more space) in the start, and then you can find stuff easier.

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 12:05 AM   #29
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World

I believe it would be a good idea to have a "Power Adder" forum, and I believe there would be eanough users looking on it to keep it active.
Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302
More specialization has been less than stellar for some of our forums. Apperance, Built Ford Tough, Corner Carvers Delight, Club SVT, and Drag Racer aren't super active. Not to say they aren't good forums, I think they've accelerated in use as more new members come here, but how many more of the small forums do you really want to have where somebody posts in a larger forum saying they couldn't get the help they wanted in the smaller one?
I believe the reason these forums that are not active, are not active because not as many people are interested in them.

A lot of people are interested in "power adders" and would like to learn more. another suggestion I would have for this new forum would be to tell the difference between turbocharger vs supercharger like on this site http://members.tripod.com/tomak3/page10.html
1984 Bronco II, 36" Michelin Military Tires, 95 EFI 5.0, NP435 Tranny, NP208 Doubler, NP205 Transfer Case, Fill Size Solid Dana 44 Front End, WH Progressive Rate Rock Crawling Coils, Bronco 8.8 Rear, Skyjacker Softride Leafs, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Locker. Final Crawl Ratio Of 175:1

88 GT
Best 60ft. 2.181
Best ET 14.350
Best MPH 98.01
~WRECKED!!!!~

Last edited by BowTie Eater 5 Liter; 01-19-2002 at 08:51 PM..
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 08:13 AM   #30
crewzin
Registered Member

Default Mo Power Adder

Im with rbatson on this one. I still like the Mustang Works but find myself in the Corral for the tech side of things. They have some very good conversations on tech stuff because of the different boards like "Power Adder". The conversations are more advanced and technical. Focusing in on subjects makes it easier than sifting thru the bs. jmo. later.....
crewzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 10:15 AM   #31
Stang Runner
Registered Member

I must just be a simple Guy I dont go there becuase they have so many I dont like I will stay here no matter what But I like the way it is And I realy dont see that many Post that another is need. if there was more I would say yes.
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5 with a Pro 5.0 shifter
12.656@107.71MPH See It at www.T-racing.com/mustang.htm
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 03:10 PM   #32
StangFlyer
Founder

Ok, I waited while on purpose to respond to this thread after I started it. I wanted to see what kind of response and voting it got for a while. It seems that between those who said "NO", and those who where undecided, there is a greater majority on not adding this forum at this time. Therefore, at this time I'm not going to add another forum and we'll let things sit as is for a while longer and just revist this another time if it becomes more neccesary.

Thanks for all your input.
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 03:40 PM   #33
Coupe Devil

Thanks Dan. I think this topic has raised alot of good questions and I am glad you did ask our opinions before you just went and did. That shows you at acknowledge that we are here and you want the best for the site as a whole.

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 09:29 PM   #34
Five0
Registered Member

Hey dan I think that if you could have some buttons that you could select the rooms you wanted to visit and you could visit them all at one time that would be a great help for some one like me who is short on time.
Can you do this?

What does everyone else think of the idea?
RHC Member #44
nochevy@hotmail.com

1991 Mustang LX
Dart iron eagle block, 4340 28oz 347 crank, 4340 h-beam rods, probe ultra light pistons canfield heads “race ported by Brent Frazier”, solid roller cam and lifters “custom grind”, kooks 1 7/8" race headers, and much more.

Engine built by Brent Frazier.
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 10:50 PM   #35
StangFlyer
Founder

pony_power_90 - Exactly. That's why I posted a poll and asked for feedback on the existing forum it would mostly affect.

FiveO - I guess I get what you are saying, but VBulletin does not have that functionality built into it.
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 02:08 AM   #36
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I say go for it.

Go look at the Corral and check out how crowded their Windsor forum is. Post a topic and refresh constantly to watch it drop off the 1st page into the never to be read 2nd and 3rd pages. That is because they need more forums because their user base is so big. To me that makes the site undesirable to go for help because there are just too many people posting in the same forum. This site will be as bad some day.

As for other forums on here not getting the traffic they should that is more our fault that anything. If we (the readers) would utilize these forums it would make this site SO much better. I know I'm just as guilty as the next person when it comes to hanging in the Windsor and Lounge forums only, but I do try to sneak into the Corner Carver section to see what's going on every now and then. I'm also guilty of posting a topic in the Windsor forum just because I know it will get the most hits there. We can all help these new forums grow by posting our topics in the appropriate forums.

Anyway, I think a power adder forum would do good here.

Oh yeah, there's a couple typos in the forum descriptions in the forum list:
Performance Industry
A forum to [discussion the performance industry].

Appearance & Detailing
Discussion on appearance related topics, such as body work, hoods, [windgs], car care and detailing, etc...
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 03:10 AM   #37
Mach 1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BowTie Eater 5 Liter
I believe it would be a good idea to have a "Power Adder" forum, and I believe there would be eanough users looking on it to keep it active.

I believe the reason these forums that are not active, are not active because not as many people are interested in them.

A lot of people are interested in "power adders" and would like to learn more. another suggestion I would have for this new forum would be to tell the difference between turbocharger vs supercharger like on this site http://members.tripod.com/tomak3/page10.html

I would hope that if Dan does make the new Forum in the future, that you keep it to the more technical questions than "whats the difference between a supercharger and a turbo"...Thats the kind of extremely basic question that keeps knowledgeable people away, and over at the corrals forums for superior technical content.

This forum should be for advanced tuning issues and recommendations, not "what is a power adder" type questions imho..
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 10:06 PM   #38
rbatson

Just look at the 'Girls can too' forum. We have quite a few people here that otherwise would not be here. I think a nos/blower/stroker forum would do the same thing, maybe even more so.