MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-24-2002, 12:52 PM   #21
0h n0 5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustangbelle306

Until you've ridden, don't make a decision so hastily...and yes, you're MAJORLY stereotyping with that "ruff ryda" junk.

Truthfully, I hate 90% of the sportbikers around here (resort area). These dorks ride with wifebeaters and shorts to the shore, park the bike, and then stand next to it to get *** from retarded beach chicks...but for every sportbiker I see NOT wearing gear, I see 2 cruiser guys, Harley AND Jap cruisers. Sure, they are at less "risk" because the speeds and acceleration are lower, but let's get real: HUMAN FLESH vs pavement at 65 mph is the SAME...you ever fall off that Schwinn? You can scrape your knees bloody falling off a BICYCLE...imagine a scoot at highway speeds...

Mmkay...a deafingly loud, bright Kandy colored WCC is NOT neon and flashy, but a blue Kawasaki with absolutely no chrome or decals is? I really think you need to look more into both types of bikes before you make your assumptions. I may argue with Chris over silly stuff, but he has at least ridden both bikes, undoubtably been around thousands more...and so bases his choices/opinions off of that. Same idea as your art comment. ART...is anything YOU want to make it. A piece of plastic hunk can be as pretty, or as ugly as a hunk of metal: all depends what you can do with it, and what you think is attractive.

As for age, sportbikes aren't THAT new...they've been around for a decent while, and older isn't necessarily better...look at Joan
Rivers
true dat dere

i totally agree, its a beautiful thing to disagree..i applaud you for keepin yer head an not goin on a long swear filled rant about how Hd is soo ol skool an jap bikes are sooo IN.. i dunno, the v-twins jus seem much more neater it seems to trick out with fatter tires, exhaust, huge raked forks..etc.. an your right in that I have nothing to compare HD vs Sportbikes to as i have never ridden either. i owe it to myself to visit the other camp for an informed non biased analysis of both types. as for an introductory rider purchases, these are the only ones i can afford..

i jus know that deep down my whole personality has always been about more than "whats in trend", its been about history an respect to a long forgotten way of life. i was retro before it was in vogue. the music I listen to, the clothes i wear, my hobbies...its all about the ol skool. i play loud fast rock an roll, wear my only 2 pairs of beat the f up walmart jeans, an my ol chuck taylors. drive a heavy *** RWd v-8 mustang,

1994 GT 5.0l
0h n0 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 01:14 PM   #22
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Get the best of both worlds... a relatively inexpensive naked v twin jap bike Or there is the Honda Superhawk, a liter V twin that is clad in a half fairing, and can deafen you going down the road depending on choice of aftermarket pipe. There are endless choices, and I agree...a bike is a big purchase, so make it wisely!
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 01:47 PM   #23
PKRWUD

Quote:
...and older isn't necessarily better...look at Joan Rivers

NO!!!! Please say I don't have to!!!!

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 02:41 PM   #24
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Phew! I thought that one was going to meet nothing but dead silence That woman is as old as the Sphinx..I saw an episode of Hollywood Squares circa 1970s the other day, she was OLD then!!! Matt says she looks like a whippet on crack
Old 07-24-2002, 03:31 PM   #25
Coupe Devil

Wel lI want a harley F-150 Supercrew, a Harley Classic Glide, a Goldwing, and a CBR F4I so take that.....

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 04:08 PM   #26
0h n0 5.0
Registered Member

hey belle, jus wonderin how you like them 4:10's? i'm lookin for something to boost power, but also be reliable an inexpensive. a new gear set seems like a good place to start findin power.

i've heard conflicting stories that 4.10's are better for 5.0 autos,(5.0 mustangs an fords/SHM) but also that 3:73's are also good all around for 5.0s autos an sticks. i know that 3:73 are good for sticks but whats yalls(sic) feelin about the autos?. would i need to complete this new gear set up with a new trans range switch or get a b&m shift kit?, an how much wrench time am i lookin at.

1994 GT 5.0l
Old 07-24-2002, 05:06 PM   #27
PKRWUD

Depends. What's your goal? Where do you want to be? Is this always going to be a daily driver, with economy on the mind, or is this going to turn into a race car?

3.73's are great all around gears, but 4.10's are better for an automatic, especially with a mild torque convertor.

Then again, I'm not the one you asked, am I?

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 05:56 PM   #28
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Well, even after a paintjob, new motor, wheels etc... I've never been as excited over one single mod as I was when I first drove my car after the gear install

I do love the low end rush of my gears, but i hit 3000 rpms at around 70-75 mph (guessing, no speedo gear) and that really sucks on long trips. Also, 1st gear is basically NON-EXISTENT, I'm shifting seconds after leaving lights, etc. I have a feeling I'd be just as happy if not MORE content with a set of 3.73s. Bear in mind I'm yapping about a 5spd car. Only my V6 was an auto, and pffffffft if I was gonna put gears in that YACHT

My advice? Take Chris' advice Many others on this board would agree that 3.73s is probably the way to go for a good, all around streetable gear.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:37 PM   #29
0h n0 5.0
Registered Member

hey chris, doors open on responses, the more the merrier i'm jus lookin somthin better than stock, i trust my shop guys,when they tell me the car is in good shape, but i also know 111k miles is a lot of engine wear. if i was concerned about racing , no doubt i'd would have searched a lil more for an 80's lx gt notch or hatch(its the design, small/ light= good drag car.) cause thats the only serious performer imo that responds more to mild performance bolt ons an see's serious numbers drop with a lil wrench time an elbow grease. unfortunately, all the ones I ran across were either smashed beyond all get out, improperly modded, or exorbanant ragged out money pits the owner wanted too much for...this is my first car since my ol 5.0 crown vic an i was also lookin for reliablity an I knew that i wanted a 5.0.

this is my first nice car i've owned an i'm really tryin to be careful about what i do to her, i don't abuse her, cause i consider her an investment. cause I know i'll possibly have to resell her in the future if i go with a later model 4.6 or cobra would be even more rad. IMO a classified ad for a race ready car thats never been abused is a huge selling point., even though I know i'll never get back what i put into her on a re sell check.

the only way to get this aod boat to haul is hopin the other guy can't drive, rippin out stuff, an goin with a power adder or nitrous(but that in turn eventually compromises the integrity of the engines strength.)

jus lookin for somthin to spice her up, nice re sell features, a few lil goodies for a stang owner gettin started if i sell her.. anything than a costly teardown of the engine, drive train an suspension.

as for right now, i jus wanna show up some of these local 'maros an ricers that come lookin for a fight, nuttin but tail lights when they get their *** handed to them by the 5.0 mustang!

1994 GT 5.0l
Old 07-26-2002, 01:55 AM   #30
The Deuce
Registered Member

Now I've seen everything. All this commotion about Harley's and Honda's is making my head spin. I've ridden standards, cruisers, and sportbikes. Personally, I've met people so far gone on their bikes that they think any other model is a waste of time. Not just brand, etc.

Guys go to the hospital or the morgue from 74 all the time around here. I still ride it, always have, on everything. Maybe its the old guy in me, but I would rather have an old chief and a Norton Commando, than anything built right now. Shoot, that's a sport bike and a cruiser.

Harleys are great. Got their rep from old GI's and their dirt track mascot. Jap bikes copy what works in other markets. The original Superhawk was a direct copy of the 916. They actually bought one and took it apart, matching components along the way.

I could go on and on about this crap but I'll just say this. My next bike will be a Fatboy, and I plan on always having an Interceptor around. Maybe I have mulitple personalities.

Just don't give me no HD Cobra, thanks.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 05:56 AM   #31
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by The Deuce
Jap bikes copy what works in other markets. The original Superhawk was a direct copy of the 916. They actually bought one and took it apart, matching components along the way.
Hey if you gotta copy to improve and add more HP with a reasonable price tag, I'm all for it
Old 07-26-2002, 12:39 PM   #32
929PhoenixSquid
Registered Member

......course, the Superhawk 996 has more power, less weight, and is a lot more reliable....

SN95 block front and rear seats, Mac catback, BBK off-road H-pipe, Steeda castor camber plates, Steeda lowering springs, Tokico shocks/struts, Alpine/MBQuart/PPI audio mods...
929PhoenixSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 10:10 PM   #33
nickj8685
Registered Member

Location: Russellville MO, where men are men and sheep are scared

A $7,000 79 Suzuki? Just what makes this bike so special?
nickj8685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 09:05 AM   #34
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Maybe its one of those rotary Zooks.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:00 AM   #35
929PhoenixSquid
Registered Member

Quote:
Maybe its one of those rotary Zooks.

Prolly a limited edition racing bike from Europe. They fetch a high price tag, but have no real-world value (from a riding perspective).

Maybe they want to place it in their living room as a discussion piece. Guests come over and say, "Why the he-zell would you pay that much for an old POS?" Then you have a few hours to try to expain why you did.....

SN95 block front and rear seats, Mac catback, BBK off-road H-pipe, Steeda castor camber plates, Steeda lowering springs, Tokico shocks/struts, Alpine/MBQuart/PPI audio mods...
929PhoenixSquid is offline   Reply With Quote