MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-11-2004, 10:46 AM   #21
SleeperGT
Registered Member

Blake and Nitro,
A little sleep has helped my disposition now. After every upgrade I've done I've always headed to the track to see what improvements I'll get, and I hate to say almost everytime I end up with some amount of detonation somewhere in the run. The runs where the detonation is so little, that I'm not sure I'm even hearing it, I keep my foot in it to complete the run, however to ensure I don't wreck the motor I immediately put a gallon or two of race fuel in the car, depending upon how full the car already is with 93 octane and depending upon how bad the detonation is. My runs ALWAYS end up having slower mph (best single measure of hp, not ET) by a full 1 - 2 mph after the race fuel is added, though it always elliminates the detonation. 3 to 4 runs of 110 mph to 111 mph with no race fuel, add race fuel and the rest of the night is 108 mph to 109 mph, all with cool downs. Also when I first started racing and the car had no detonation, I tried the race fuel because it's gotta make the car run faster, I ended up with the same results. Though this was no scientific study, I have added race fuel too many times to strongly believe that it will make the car run slightly slower at the track. Strap a blower to your car and you too can have all the fun in the world becoming a detonation and gasoline expert. The only thing that ever gets things right is a tune (and I've got all kinds of opinions on that also, which I'll spare you).

One last comment also, is that I think Chevron gasoline is by far the best gasoline. In fact I have named my bad dyno tunes Chevron Tunes because the car only runs on Chevron premium without detonating. I put Shell or Amoco (which I think is the worst, car always detonates with Amoco) and I get detonation. Anywho, that's enough blathering on my part. Take care and good racing!
3.1" Pulley
Paxton Air-to-Air Aftercooler
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
70 mm AccuFab Throttlebody
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's
Steeda Lower Control Arms
358 rwhp (Mustang Dyno)

New Track Times Coming Soon
SleeperGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 11:54 AM   #22
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Sleeper:

I am an engineer, as such, I look at things differently. I have no experiencing racing. I did do some digging on the internet and found a number of technical data supporting running the lowest possible octane without knock. And stating that as cars age, the need for higher octane gas may increase. This makes it even more difficult to smake generalizations about results at the tarck. My experience with a new car at the track may be different than another's with and older car when changing fuel.

A few articles also indicated that adding higher octane fuel, gives you more of a margin for error to avoid knock...just don't go too high or performance is a loss. But they did not say what "too high" was.

The following terms: ping, knock, detonation ect.. all really refer to the same thing. But, in school, I was taught that these terms imply extent. Knock is worst than pinp...detonation is worst that knock. Like three guys at a bar, one is inebriated, one is drunk, and one is bombed. They are all drunk, but the terms imply "to what extent".

Some of the data that I found differentiated between ping and knock and others used the terms equally, hence the confusion. Anyway, I have learned a lot.

Best wishes and stomp on those Rice Burners!

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote