MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-18-2002, 10:55 PM   #1
spankaveli
Registered Member

Angry please help me fix my car :(

here's the deal. my cars running out of steam at approximately 4,000 rpm. seems to do it worse w/ the cold weather, although i'm not completely sure of that. it pulls damn hard to 4k where it will just lose power. thats at WOT. if i go half throttle it will go all the way to redline. if i unplug the MAF sensor the car will mess up midrange but at WOT high rpm the car will pull pretty hard.

mods in sig

what has been replaced: coil, rotor, cap, distributor, tfi module, plugs (.035 gap), wires, fuel pump, ect sensor, map sensor, maf sensor (stock one in there now), and i've rewired the maf conversion. map sensor doesn't have the vacuum hose on it and the hose it was T'd onto is plugged at the T.

can anyone help me ive relaced enough stuff to feed a small junk yard.

edit: i have a lifter on the driver side that taps occasionlly, its only done it 3 times within about 2 months. could that be the problem? someone suggested it might but that leaves the questio nas to why it pulls hard with the maf plugged in. ...

edit2: timing is set at 14 w/ the spout out and fuel pressure is at 40 w/ vacuum off right now although changing fuel pressure hasn't seemed to help with the problem. it did the other day (i increased it from 38 to 42) and it seemed to have fixed it but the problem was back the next morning and been doing it since.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:02 PM   #2
PKRWUD

Have you tried cleaning the MAF sensor hot wire?

Just out of curiosity, why such a small plug gap? You have the ignition to support a much wider gap.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 11:12 PM   #3
spankaveli
Registered Member

sorry, need to change my sig. i have stock replacement coil and stock replacement wires. the whole ignition system is stock.

edit: yeah, i used some electrical parts cleaner and a q-tip and cleaned the maf "wires" inside the housing
Old 10-19-2002, 08:56 PM   #4
RPM427
Registered Member

I was having the same problem when i was using the Nitrous. I swithed over to a MSD digital 6 and it has full power up to redline now. Check your igntion componets. Maybe its time for a new igntion?

The more probable cuase is the following: the engine might need some more fuel at the hi end. Before I did the heads/cam it was "runing outta steam" at the top of 4th. I bought an AFPR and bumped the pressure a bit. It cured the problem.

-1994 Ranger w/ 427cid windsor (daily beater)
check it out!
RPM427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 05:57 PM   #5
spankaveli
Registered Member

ttt