MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-23-2004, 11:15 AM   #1
mudchucker
Registered Member

Default hi everyone, question here

howdy everyone, i have a question that i am sure you can answer. I have been looking all over trying to find out how to find out what computer/ecm will work on my 1990 5.0. I am looking to upgrade to a Mustang Computer and i still have the speed density so i can't have the MAF computer. Where do i find a list of part #'s of computer;s that will work. I have found part #'s like 49L and 49P and even e6sf-12a650-m1b, but how do i know if these will work. Thanks everyone and sorry if i posted this in the wrong spot, but i can't get anyone to help.

THanks again

Aaron
mudchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 01:27 PM   #2
RBatson
Registered Member

I don't know what you have going on there.. I suspect you are trying to add some hp to a crown vic or thunderbird/cougar. The A9P code on the ecm means it came in an automatic, I believe. You can get the whole wiring harness with maf and computer from Jegs or Summit (or just about anywhere), these are cobra units. I don't know because I've never done it but, I've heard of many people using the auto ecm in the manual models.. supposidely they can feel a gain in performance. Can you use it in your application? I don't know, probably. I do know they use these cobra wiring harness kits, I mentioned, in some kit cars and old carburated mustangs. I actually wanted to buy an old 66 mustang vert that had been converted to efi.

Your not going to be able to change just the computer.
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 01:51 PM   #3
RBatson
Registered Member

Default Opps..

I just reread your question, I obviously misunderstood what you were asking. You want a speed density out of a mustang. I don't even know if there is a diffence. I really don't know how the car would run if there was a difference or if it would be worth it(I doubt it). Without knowing what you are doing and what car and what engine is in the car there is no telling. You have to let us in on what you have and what you intend to do. You will get alot more responses in the Windsor Forum, which this post will probably be moved to anyhow. I'm sure someone has done what you plan to do or atleast can shed some light on it.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:49 PM   #4
mudchucker
Registered Member

ok thanks. I will check in that other forum and add some more info.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:48 AM   #5
RBatson
Registered Member

Default Welcome to the site

My curiosity is getting the best of me. What do you have and what are you wanting to do? Are you just changing the ecm? Do you plan on changing any other parts in the engine?
Old 03-24-2004, 09:54 AM   #6
mudchucker
Registered Member

Well i have transplanted a 5.o from 1990 town car into a Jeep YJ. I have a 90 Crown Vic ECM and i am looking for ways to increase my performance. I have been told to increase performce the first and best thing to do is to change to a Mustang ECM. Then i can add chips or even other performance mods to the engine, such as, cams, thorttle bodies, injectors etc. I have found out that any ECM uit from a speed density 5.0 with a 60 pin processor should work. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. Any other advice for this is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 03-24-2004, 10:13 AM   #7
RBatson
Registered Member

Ok. Now we are getting somewhere. You need to either find a mass air unit out of a junk yard or off classifieds(not a bad idea) or order the kit I was talking about(around $500 last I checked). Speed density does not compensate for the modifications like heads, cam, intake.. sure some folks know how to tune a car but basically its not what you are wanting. You can run the MAF with a speed density motor, that does not matter. The MAF will learn the motor, that is why it is soo popular and they sell the kits. A speed density ecm is not what you want. The Maf unit is what those folks are telling you about. You need to get the MAF, maf ecm and the harness and your good as gold. Add heads, cam, intake.. whatever. Then unplug the battery, turn on the head lights to drain the system and hook it back up and drive around alittle with the motor searching until the ecm gives it what it needs. Damn, now I feel better.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:26 AM   #8
RBatson
Registered Member

I meant to add this... the mass air units are in all 5.0 cars from 89-93 and in the California 88 models(for pollution reasons). The kits you buy from the perfomance shops are all 93 Cobra kits, the mass air unit is bigger... 70mm vs 55mm(or thereabouts).
Old 03-24-2004, 10:42 AM   #9
mudchucker
Registered Member

ok excellent!! Thanks for your help!!
Old 03-24-2004, 10:57 AM   #10
RBatson
Registered Member

Smile

No problem.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:02 AM   #11
mudchucker
Registered Member

One more question for you. Is there any difference in the intak itself between the town car and the mustand? The manifold and the plenum. Is the porting the same or are there definite differences? Thanks again
Old 03-24-2004, 11:20 AM   #12
RBatson
Registered Member

If there are differences, its not worth $25. They are the same. Unless its a 93 cobra intake, big difference there.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:30 AM   #13
mudchucker
Registered Member

Will the 93 cobra intake fit onto a regular 302 block? Of course, i imagine i would have to change over to MAF then also right?
Old 03-24-2004, 11:38 AM   #14
RBatson
Registered Member

Yes it will fit, no problem. I have one in my garage, no its not for sale

Will the intake work without the MAF? I honestly don't know, I've never dealt with speed density. There are people that frequent here that have and know a great deal about it. It probably will, with some help. If all you want to do is change the intake then I think you can do it. If it acts up then you can get help in the Windsor Forum. More than just the intake and I think you are better off going to MAF.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:01 PM   #15
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

The non-HO intake don't flow as much. I would pick up a HO intake, they're only like 20-30 bucks on E-Bay.

-Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:04 PM   #16
RBatson
Registered Member

Josh, are you sure a 90 Lincoln didn't come with a HO? I think my grandparents crown vic did. I remember looking under the hood of a 90/91 towncar and I think it had a HO intake. I wouldn't bother.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:57 PM   #17
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

The Mustang the Lincoln Mark VII were the only cars that came with the 5.0 HO

The non-HO intake flows like ***. That's why everbody with a 86 5.0 upgrades to a 87+ intake.

-Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 10:32 AM   #18
RBatson
Registered Member

That rings a bell, regarding the Mark VII.

As far as the 86s, I don't remember there being a big deal about the intake but that doesn't mean anything.. I have never had to deal with it. I do know the heads on the 86s sucked.

As far as intakes, I've heard a 302 truck lower intake is alot bigger. Someone tried to talk me into getting a truck lower and box upper for my car but then I got a deal on a Holley instead.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:17 PM   #19
RBatson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163
The Mustang the Lincoln Mark VII were the only cars that came with the 5.0 HO
Ok, now that I think about it... I know some Cougars and Thunderbirds came with the HO.