MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-27-2000, 12:12 PM   #1
Latham99
Registered Member

Post 99-00 GT owners

What types of gains have you seen with the addition of an off-road h or x-pipe and catback? I'm starting to consider this as the next big thing. I know MAC makes some pretty good stuff, as well as Bassani. Any opinions on these??

------------------
1999 Chrome Yellow GT coupe 5 spd
Latham99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2000, 10:34 AM   #2
cravnpup
Registered Member

Hmmmm, I've been dealing with the same question... In terms of the best gains there are two options (that I've seen so far). 1. You can go with shorty unequals (I haven't seen any equals yet but that doesn't mean their not out there), a Bassani X-pipe, and a cat-back of your choice, or 2. You can opt for MAC or Bassani long-tube equals, a MAC or Bassani short H-pipe, and a cat-back of your choice.
Again, these are purely opinion based. I do not have any hard numbers or actual real world experience with the two options, but to me it seems like the two are nearly identical in terms of performance. For the 1st you are sacrificing performance in the headers, but gaining some with the X-pipe. For the 2nd you are gaining some with the headers, but sacrificing some with the H-pipe. For me the solution came in the form of ground clearance. I plan on lowering my stang an inch or two, and so I tossed the idea of the long tubes, and have decided to go with the shorty setup for my future mods.

I hope this helps.

------------------
2000 GT Conv. 5speed
Triple Black
Current Mods: K&N
Future Mods: Too Many to list
cravnpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2000, 04:04 PM   #3
Ripper
Registered Member

Smile

You'll get the most gains from the X or H pipe. A cat-back system is only going to give you a different exhaust note. The GTs have 4 catlytic converters which is why the pipe will give you best performance gain. I'm assuming the headers would not do much because you haven't done any motor work and you still have to flow through the stock converters. I'm personally going to go with the Bassani X-pipe.

------------------
1999 GT - Laser Red
K&N, Steeda pulleys, & Steeda strut tower brace
(Upcoming mods: subframes, Bassani X, & FMS 3.73s

[This message has been edited by Ripper (edited 08-08-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ripper (edited 08-08-2000).]
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote