MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Poll: Do you think SVT will strike gold with the new supercharged, 390HP 2003 Mustang Cobra
Poll Options
Do you think SVT will strike gold with the new supercharged, 390HP 2003 Mustang Cobra

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-29-2002, 01:49 PM   #1
StangFlyer
Founder

Question Do you think SVT will strike gold with the new supercharged, 390HP 2003 Mustang Cobra

The new Supercharged, 390 HP 2003 Cobra Mustang (Formerly know as the Mustang Terminator) will soon be unveiled at the February 2003 Chicago Auto Show. What are everyone's opinions on the new Supercharged DOHC 4.6L Mustang?

Here are some questions to ponder:

Do you think the HP or torque figures are under rated, as are the Lightnings?

Do you think SVT has dropped the base compression of the Cobra engine and is running compareable boost to the Lightning (8-9 psi) or do you think they've left it with higher compression and are running only 5-6 psi?

What do you think this beast will do for performance stats? (0-60, 1/4 miles, etc)?

What do you think the new Mustang will do to the performance gap (in stock trim any ways) between the Mustang Cobra and the Corvette, the Viper, the LS1, and other Muscle cars?
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 02:02 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

We all know what a DOHC Cobra with a supercharger does. The DOHC responds to boost like crazy. I personally believe Ford probably dropped the CR a little and is running higher boost. 390 is more than likely seriously underrated. Many DOHC Cobra's with boost make 400rwhp.

The Cobra will own the Vette, and close in on the Viper, perhaps hold with it.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 03:45 PM   #3
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I think that as long as the price is right, we'll see a successful car. It may even take Saleen, Roush and Steeda Customers!

I agree, even the SOHC engines with boost can put out 380-390 RWHP.

All I know is that I would rather buy a Cobra instead of a Saleen.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 05:29 PM   #4
Rebel79
News Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302
We all know what a DOHC Cobra with a supercharger does.
Think about this... we have yet to see a DOHC Cobra engine with a roots style blower, giving it near full boost almost instantly. I definately think traction is going to be a problem, especially with the IRS.
Rebel Racing. Home of Bay Area Mustangs
Rebel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 06:08 PM   #5
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

I think it will be sweet as long as they dont charge corvette prices for it (40-45k) Is this going to be the only engine in the cobra or is the NA version going to be an option also?
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 08:58 PM   #6
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

My guess is that this thing will have a sticker of at least $40K, then the local dealership here will tack on $10K markup to put it out of reach of the average person. They mark up '01 Cobras by $5K here, and the Cobra R was marked up $50K.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 09:10 PM   #7
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

I think it is definetly underated. 390hp for a dohc supercharged engine seems a little low. They probably underated it at 390hp so ti is rated under 400 hp for insurance reasons.If only they would put a live axle in it instead of the irs. I hate to say it but I don't think that many people buy Cobras for autocross and that more people use them to go down the strip.
I hope they produce it for under 35K. Even though i can't personally afford to own even a new GT i still would like toi see some of these cars on the road

JAMES
Old 01-29-2002, 10:24 PM   #8
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I seriously doubt it will own the vette the vette is a serious contender with the Z06 and the future models of the vette will make 450+ HP N/A....The Z06's and vipers run real close at my local track.

It will be overpriced and HP will be underrated a lil' bit, ...Anyways why would you pay 40+ thousand dollars for a mustang with a blower. Buy a GT and mod the hell out of it with ten grand smoke the cobra's *** and have ten grand left over.

The Vette and viper appeal to me cause they have there own personality and cannot be confused with anything else.

A blown cobra is a glorified mustang for twice the price..

No Flames JMO....
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 10:52 PM   #9
silverv6
Registered Member

I think is good they coming out with a more power ful cobra but this is just my opinion I think they should look on making the GT and the v6 faster. any ways in a month ill be owning a 96 GT 5speed. I think that because the v6 and z28 camaro are faster than the v6 and gt mustangs. I think ford should once and for all over power chevy

is it true that this is the last year for the Camaro and the Firebird?? I read that last year in a magazine, they said they were stoping production cuz they havent been selling for the past 3 or 4 years.
silverv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 11:03 PM   #10
91GTturbo
Registered Member

MT claimed the prices to be around $35K for a convertible so I would think a coupe would run you around $32K. Not to bad in my opinion.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:54 AM   #11
97snakedriver
Registered Member

If I had to take a wild guess I'd say they used the forged pistons straight out of the Lightning parts bin and some came up with some better rods. I would also guess the CR is dropped to somewheres just north of 9:1. 9.1:1 or somewhere in that neighborhood. High enough but not pushing it to account for crappy gas and the general misuse most cars see.

I also bet it dynos right around what its rated, but is down tuned quite a bit to get there; IE it runs rich and with little timing. IE, some tuning and maybe a bolt on two will knock it up considerably (450+ with out all this burned #7 piston crap, with just easy bolt on stuff).

Its nice in that it will finally end the "but F-bodies are faster" chip on the Mustang's shoulder and will finally have a descent transmission, but $35k I would want better then the FOX chassis. Suposity the DEW98 has been moved back a couple years...
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 03:56 AM   #12
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Its definatly going to be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Is the motor going to be the same heads/intake/cams wise as before? Or are they going to modify other things too.

Also I wonder how it will do on the topend with that roots blower.

Im going to bet at 6lbs of boost and aroun 8.8:1 compression.

I wonder though if I wouldnt rather have a 96-02 cobra with a S-Trim?

Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 01:07 PM   #13
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

If we are gonna compare an SVT cobra to the F-bodies why dont we throw in the Lingenfelter twin turbo vette as well.

They had a thing on speed vision about this Terminator they ran a similar car down the 1/4 mile and it pulled high 11's with slicks.

Compare apples to apples

cobra to vette/viper
mustang to f-bodies
Old 01-30-2002, 01:41 PM   #14
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Um, the current Model Cobra is not to be compared to the Corvette. Dont really see how it can be placed in the same bracket.

4 passenger car compared to a two passenger car?

Pony car Compared to a Sports Car?

The Cobra is in the same Bracket as the F-Body's. Price, market, insurance, and design (2 door 4 passenger sedan).

Well, not after this year though.

What I think most people here ment by the Cobra will own the vette is in Perfromance. Not in terms of direct market competition. I dont think Most Vette buyers will turn to the Cobra, just like most Cobra buyers wont turn to the Vette.

The car that will be comparable to the Vette and Viper is the GT40, if they make it. Thats fighting for the same audience and consumers.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 01:52 PM   #15
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Well...I'd NEVER EVER have a car payment (can't drive a car that doesn't belong FULLY to me ) so I definetely can't afford the car, but I think it will do pretty well as long as the price is not outrageous. Sorry if I missed it, but does it have forged internals?
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 03:01 PM   #16
Coupe Devil

I dont know about striking gold but they struck My wallet. I would love to have one but to much money.

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 03:18 PM   #17
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Quote:
Originally posted by 91GTturbo
MT claimed the prices to be around $35K for a convertible so I would think a coupe would run you around $32K. Not to bad in my opinion.
If I could get into one of these for $32k I would drive one off the dealer's lot the first day they are available.

A supercharged-DOHC 4.6 should be good for well over 390 hp. With some tuning and minor bolt-ons I would think that 450 hp could be easily reached. Hmmm, add some 4.10 gears and some lowering springs..... Anyone want to buy a 89 coupe? Make me an offer! j/k
5 speed 302-Cobra Intake-GT40p heads-TFS stage 1 cam-FRPP 1.6 roller rockers-3:73 gears-KYB shocks and struts-Eibach Pro-kit-HPM Mega-bite upper and lower control arms-FRPP aluminum driveshaft-16x8 Chrome Cobra Rs

R.H.C. #14
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 03:45 PM   #18
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Keeping the price in the low-mid 30's is the key. Too expensive and most people will choose the vette (I know they are in different classes).

I think the compression will remain where it is with 5-6 psi of boost.

Horsepower will probably be either right on or put out a little more than advertised. It better not fall short like in 99. I really don't think they would let that happen again though.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.
190 LPH fuel pump, 3-row radiator,
Maximum Motorsports full length subframes

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada(wife's car)
2005 Ford Taurus SEL (company ride)

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS !!!!
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 05:55 PM   #19
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercury
Um, the current Model Cobra is not to be compared to the Corvette. Dont really see how it can be placed in the same bracket.

4 passenger car compared to a two passenger car?

Pony car Compared to a Sports Car?

The Cobra is in the same Bracket as the F-Body's. Price, market, insurance, and design (2 door 4 passenger sedan).

Well, not after this year though.

What I think most people here ment by the Cobra will own the vette is in Perfromance. Not in terms of direct market competition. I dont think Most Vette buyers will turn to the Cobra, just like most Cobra buyers wont turn to the Vette.

The car that will be comparable to the Vette and Viper is the GT40, if they make it. Thats fighting for the same audience and consumers.
The topic is about the new cobra coming out not the current one......and I hope your not trying to say a cobra with a blower is a family car.

Trust me it will be 40,000+ and thats just too much for a dressed up mustang..I think alot of people will think like me and get a new GT for half the price and blow the doors off the cobra for about ten grand less than the price off a cobra.
Old 01-30-2002, 07:27 PM   #20
GONZO99TA
Registered Member

i think ford is on the right track with slapping a blower onto the cobra. i think it should be an option though.
i'm actually surprised that ford decided to up the power on the cobra now that the f bod is history. was expecting ford to just let the cobra go "as is" till the next restyle, since it has no direct competition anymore.
and here is a link to the mt article for those that have not read it yet.
http://www.mustangworld.com/pst/ubb...ic&f=3&t=049121

oh and what i got from the article was the hint at pricing was to start at just under $35k. they did not say the convert pictured was going to be $35k.

hmmmm, that link don't seem to wanna work on this board. it works over at ls1.com.

Last edited by GONZO99TA; 01-30-2002 at 07:33 PM..
GONZO99TA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: