MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-06-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
4barrel
Mustang Rookie

Default Mustang Newbie

Hey guys. I've waited since I was 15 years old to get a mustang. I'm 23 now, and growing up poor it's been hard to watch all my friends have the car I want. I work for Toyota now which means Ole Dad has a bankroll! This past weekend, I bought Hailey. She's a 1989 Mustang GT 5 speed. White with a black and gray interior and a sun roof. The odometer reads 72,xxx and it could have been flipped over but who knows? The speedometer is smooth, it doesn't jump so there is a possibility that this is the actual mileage. The original vin labels are still under the hood, and on the inner quarter panels. The floor and trunk pan is perfect, so I'm assuming the car has never been wrecked. It's completely stock* other than glass packs and a GT Grant steering wheel. I hear a 1989 car is mass air. Mine is speed density. Ha, personally I don't know what to look for, but one of my friends who knows told me. It also has headlight and tail light covers, along with vent shades, a solar wing and a hood bra. The power locks don't work, and the passenger window switch on the drivers door doesn't work.

I'm just an avid gear head. I'm here on Mustang Works to learn as much about my car as I can, meet friends in the Mustang world, and maybe even be a help to someone else.

I never knew the feeling I would have when I finally got the car. It's almost like a fraternity. Every Mustang that I pass waives at me, and vice versa. There are so many different Mustangs and types of parts. I love it!

* I don't know where to start with my car. At first I wanted to go with looks, then performance. I don't know though. Today I got some news that pissed me off. I thought the car seemed a little slow to be a GT even if it was stock. My friend found out from another friend who knows the car lot I got the car from, that the engine in my car is a Thunderbird 5.0 with a mustang intake. I've bought there before, my dad who is a head mechanic at the local Chevrolet dealer helps them out constantly with their GM trade ins, plus I "thought" the guy running the lot was a friend of mine. I thought surely they would tell me everything about the car. I would have still got the car, but they didn't have to hold the details out on me. Oh well when I put a real engine in that thing and bust the owners rumpus at the track, I'll feel much better. Until then, it's non-stop until I get the car where I want it. And when she's done, the hood will not come up to show what is under there. She'll still be running a "stock Thunderbird 302" even if its idling their teeth out.

Anyways, anyone have any suggestions or comments? They're fully welcome.

Last edited by 4barrel; 04-06-2005 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: To eliminate a double post.
4barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:11 AM   #2
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

Default Re: Mustang Newbie

welcome to mworks man - congrats on your new car
Fat0eknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 07:24 AM   #3
tmoss
Registered Member

Welcome, the power windows and locks may be just the rocker switches are worn out, it's very common. the T-bird engine is why the car is SD - it was MAF originally.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:03 AM   #4
StrokedStang
Registered Member

Welcome. Congratulations on your purchase. Don't be discouraged everyone works on a budget. Take your time and do what you can yourself. I've had mine for over 5 years now and i'm still not done yet.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Welcome!
And dont feel bad, I'm on my 4th and 5th Stangs, and am just now getting to a point where I can mod them
Figure out what you want, and go for it.
(and I wouldnt hold the TB motor against the folks you got it from yet, it could have been the prev owner that converted it, and not mentioned it. Though I woud've hoped a paid wrench could have spotted the dispartey)

Just my .02
J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:49 PM   #6
4barrel
Mustang Rookie

I suppose theres nothin to worry about. The engine will be replaced, even if it were the mustang engine. The mechanic was a GM dealership man with no Ford experience. I can't hold it against him. The way I found out about the TB engine was a friend of the mine who is also a friend of the salesman that sold me the car. So the car lot knew about the engine change. It had been changed before the car was traded in. So, a good stroker will have to replace it. Muahahahaha!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/822269

4barrel is offline   Reply With Quote