MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Built Ford Tough
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-20-2006, 03:06 PM   #1
spdrcrxxx
Registered Member

Default AOD shifting probs, HELP!!

i have a 1993 ford mustang motor and tranny in a 1990 ford f150. i am having problem with WOT shifting being too early, 1-2 and 2-3 are both at 4000 no matter how i adjust the TV. right now i have it set too high (more pull at lower throttle input) and it does good around town and all. i should also mention that the engine is no longer fuel injected but has the proper TV cable brackets installed. TV is adjusted to the point where the tranny wont shift into OD until around 55, so i know it should be shifting at WOT later than 4000. it shifts at 4000 even if i put i slight amount of slack in the TV cable at idle. i have checked the throttle for full travel and TV lever on tranny for full travel in relation to the throttle input. at part throttle first thing in the morning i have seen it go as high as 4500 for the 1-2 shift but cant repeat that with full throttle. is it possible that a shift kit is causing this? i am not real sure if the tranny has a shift kit but i do know that it has recently been built by a reputable (in my experience) tranny shop. also i wasn't sure if the truck gear ratio of 3.06:1 as opposed to the mustang 3.55:1 (and also lighter) could have an effect on this.
spdrcrxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:08 AM   #2
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default Re: AOD shifting probs, HELP!!

When my AOD is cold it shifts sometimes a little different then when it is warmed up, this is normal due to the temp of the fluid.

Your AOD is always going to shift into over drive sooner (example:4,000 rpms) then the 2nd and 3rd gear shifts (ex: 4,500). The AOD will actually shifts into 2nd gear at the highest rpm, with the 3rd gear shift shifting at a rpm close to that, and the over drive will be substantially lower.

Here is your problem- You should not need to do wide open throttle shifts into AOD. The transmission was not designed for that, and it WILL burn the over drive out of the transmission. The AOD is designed to let you have a nice cruising gear, but in stock from will cause a lot of heat and wear if you are racing in and out of the over drive gear.

A shift kit will help you put the shift points where you want them for the other two shifts. I really like the Bauman shift kit, lets you decide where you want the shift and how firm. MY shift points are usually around 5,500, 5,250…and then I hold it in third thru he end of the quarter.

Good luck,
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:04 PM   #3
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

Default Re: AOD shifting probs, HELP!!

know about the aod shuffle?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: