MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-01-2001, 04:16 PM   #1
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Post whats wrong with my t-5?

damn thing wont shift, i have to force it into gear? this sux in traffic, yea im still whining about my clutch, like i said in previous post: i have the clutch sitting in my house, gonna have it installed thurs or friday, but my tranny is getting harder to shift, and those noises sound even uglier, it feels like my cable is super stretched, and it wont adjust anymore, could my t-5 be broke? or am i just in need of the clutch, throw out, ect...

But every gear is getting harder to get in gear, and in 4th gr i dont hear the "clicking noise" i suspect that may be the throwout bearing, which has supported many burnouts...any thoughts?
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 06:52 PM   #2
97cobracpe
Registered Member

My T-5 used to do that. It ended up being a streched clutch cable. My clutch wouldn't disengage fully, and made it really hard to shift. I got me an adjustable Ford clutch cable and my problems were gone.
97cobracpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 08:27 PM   #3
oldman
Registered Member

THis is a little out there but last year when the 89 started doing the same thing, we found that the bellhousing bolts had loosened up enough to open a gap of about 1/8 inch when you smushed the clutch pedal and this is plenty enough to cause the hard shifting. We noticed purely by accident and luckily we fixed it before something really bad happened. I know I'm probably the only person in the world this could happen to but it's a thought.

[This message has been edited by oldman (edited 07-01-2001).]
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 10:29 AM   #4
LX5liter
dude5l

I would have to agree with a worn /stretched cable. Does it go into gear O.K. when you first start it?

------------------
B.R.
L.X. 5.0 coupe
Cruise control,power mirrors,...and Thats it!
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 07:15 PM   #5
stangbang
Registered Member

Does it shift okay when the engine is off? If it does it's your clutch cable.If it doesn't you probably have bent forks. If you replace the cable I would highly recommend getting an aftermarket clutch quadrant. the stock unit is self adjusting, but if you like to speed shift like me every time you stab the clutch it will grab a little too much cable and stretch it over time.
stangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 07:16 PM   #6
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Good question hmmm maybe i should go try real quick, actually, it seems not as hard when i first start it, but im usually parked on an incline, i really havent been driving it, im afraid i'll screw something up worse thnx for the help, but the noise sounds pretty bad, definately a cluth, or throwout problem.... i hope.

I will keep posted, car is going to Tx jam thursday or friday for an installation, with firewall adjuster, hope that shuts up the noise, car does not pop out of gear, so im assuming t-5 is ok.
Old 07-02-2001, 07:35 PM   #7
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Ok, just tried shifting it with the motor off, it did shift good, much better than when it's running, i feel better now thanx, that steeda quadrant is going in ASAP, well i have to wait till after the 4th, theyre booked up building pure race cars.

now maybe i can can get a good shifter, pro 5.0, or ripper cuz i took out the hurst, it sucked.

------------------
90 lx coupe: 175k miles, steeda water pump pully, hurst shifter, Mac cold air fenderwell, accel supercoil, ADS chip, aluminum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs.
Best time: 13.9116(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph: 98.17
Best 60': 1.9607

next mods: subframes, mac h-pipe
Old 07-03-2001, 07:23 PM   #8
91evilstang
Registered Member

Wink

I have been told by a transmission shop that your shift forks cant bend because of the grade of cast aluminum they are made of.They said that they just break not bend and you half to be he-maning the shifter to break them.

------------------
91GT Flowmaster 2 chambers,off road H pipe,mac equalength headers,F303 cam,high lift valve springs ,svo 1.6 roller rockers,16*timing,410's,BBK cold air kit,hurst shifter, Pullys,World class T5 MSD 6al box. Ran 13.5@101 with stock headers and air box.
91evilstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 10:01 PM   #9
Lexicon
Registered Member

Replace the Clutch and get an adjustable linkage. You should see the problem disappear. While you at it, add a Aluminum Driveshaft for a great improvement.
Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 03:44 PM   #10
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

I already have the aluminum driveshaft, one of my first mods, dont know why, i should have got subframe connectors first, but it's nice to have,

And i appreciate everyones help, i counting down the days till friday, when i can drive it with a clutch that doesnt disengage right off the floor then make noises.

It sux, i was about to drive down and get my h-pipe, but my clutch started this problem, so thats on hold....lack of funds.