MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-07-2002, 01:13 AM   #1
Rosco
Registered Member

Default Hatch Noise

Is there anyway at all to tighten up the hatch at all? I've noticed even more now since i've gotten my mufflers put on that it'll rattle and rattle and shake. It's actually more the right side then the left. Honestly I can actually pull lightly on the back right side and it'll move up about 3/4". It's gettin really really annoying exspecialy over bumps. Guys got any ideas?
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 01:23 AM   #2
TMASTER
Registered Member

Post check

Have you replaced the plastic bushing for the striker? Also does it have the rubber bumps that position the trunk? Check to see if your weatherstripping is wore out. Check your hinges also see if there alighned correctly. These could all cause noise. Its a hatchback, most hatchbacks are gates for noise, why do you think Fords only making Trunks on there mustangs now
TMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 01:23 AM   #3
jj_jonathon
Trisket

Industrial strength glue.

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 11:04 AM   #4
Rosco
Registered Member

Lol...stupid hatches...yeah the rubber is there...not really sure what i should do about aligning though. I've noticed something else now too. The whole hatch moves up and down, when it's set in. The round thingy ( i have no idea what it's called ) that the hatch locks to..Seems like it should be moved down...either that or the lock piece on the hatch itself isn't holding it all the way down.. Any ideas what to look for or do?
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Old 11-07-2002, 12:55 PM   #5
jj_jonathon
Trisket

Well obviously you dont like the adhesive idea, so just bolt the thing shut and use some caulk to seal it....and while youre at it, use some glue...

...anyways....was the thing ever in an accident? even just a little one that might have bent the frame a little? that fubars verts badly...our 90GT's top comes down crooked....takes soem effort to latch the left side and the windows dont line up with the top 100%...doesnt have to be a large accident either....

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 02:14 PM   #6
Rosco
Registered Member

No it's actually never been in an accident. I'll hafto look at it when i take it off the road. I might actually have some time then. Yeah...unfortunatly I don't think my sound system helps out at all with possibly moving it around.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:37 PM   #7
Agent_4573
Registered Member

That round thing should be adjustable. Just loosen it up with a hex head/star head wrench i forget what kind of wrench it is. Then it should just slide down a little. I remember i adjusted the one on my passenger door when i replaced that cuz it wasn't shutting all the way. A new set of hinges might help to, i know mine are wearing out, I'm just too lazy to buy new ones.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 10:04 PM   #8
Comatose
Registered Member

The hatch striker is not only adjustable up/down, but also left/right. It might take several adjustments to get the hatch to shut tight w/o any squeaks. Slowly close the hatch and watch carefully for any movement left/right, if there is any movement, adjust accordingly.

I had to move the striker down and left to get the hatch to shut tight on my 86'.

Later,

Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT

K&N Filter, Removed Air Silencer, Black Magic Fan, 65mm Explorer TB, 110lph BBK Fuel Pump, F/M Force II Cat -Back, O/R h-pipe, U/D's Timing@14*

1986 Mustang LX SSP--new project car

AOD, 3.27's, Dumps, 238k miles
Comatose is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: