MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-20-2003, 05:06 AM   #1
mmacdone
Registered Member

Question Cleaning, polishing, waxing question

I've been using Meguires products for a while now, so I had to stock up on some more of their products lately. I purchased Deep Crystal Car Wash, their Cleaner / Wax, and a bottle of Deep Crystal Polish at a local auto parts store. Here's my question: If I wash and then use the cleaner / wax, should I then use the polish immediately after using the cleaner / wax or could I wait a day or so to use the polish? (Of course when I use the polish, I would wash the car again before applying). Has anyone used these multiple process cleaner / polishes like what I'm talking about? If so, what did you think of the results? It doesn't say you have to use them like this, but it suggests after using the cleaner / wax, to follow up with the polish.

Thanks,

Mike
2000 GT
Old 05-23-2003, 02:57 PM   #2
Mass Stang
Registered Member

I use the Mothers three phase system. If you wash and use the cleaner. You have basicly stripped the body down to nothing (No protection). Its best if you use the polish right away, then wax over that cause polish can be washed off. polish is for looks, wax is protection. Hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2003, 04:38 PM   #3
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mass Stang
Its best if you use the polish right away, then wax over that cause polish can be washed off. polish is for looks, wax is protection. Hope this helps.
Polish AND wax can be washed off. Wax is more durable so it will take more washes to break it down but it will still wear down. The polish won't wash off with one wash or if you quick detailed it.

To answer the original question:

After you use the cleaner, you don't have to immediately apply the polish. The cleaner will strip the old wax/polish off and give you a clean surface to work with. If you want to wait a day, just give the car a QD before applying the polish. After the polish, you can apply the wax. There's no need to wash in between the cleaner-polish step or the polish-wax step. I used to use the Meguires 3-step process a few years ago and really liked the results. They are made into a 3 step process for a reason. They work well together.

After waxing, just re-apply the wax when it wears down (6-8 weeks) and you'll keep your car looking great!

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote