MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-05-2002, 10:17 AM   #1
Coupe Devil

Default ATTN PKRWUD: Got a BAD MISS

Ok, I had a miss starting to come up recently so I figured it was time for a tune up. I figured that the motor still ahd the stock plugs and wires ( and I was correct ) So i bought a set of Autolite ( stock replacement ) plugs, an Accel cap and Rotor ( with Brass inserts ) and a set of universal ( the kind that you cut the ends to length and install the ends) Accel 8mm plug wires. Get it all installed and go for a test drive last night.. Miss is still there but not as evident. Used to only miss alittle under a load. ( driving hard ) and that was gone for the most part last night so I say COOL. This morning I leave for work and it runs like a dying mule, I dont get it. I didnt do anything to it lst night after I drove it. The miss is much worse now and happens all the time unless you are really into the throttle.. What do you guys think. Do I need to go get some regualr ole plug wires? Any ideas, think it might be fuel related or is it in the firing like I think?

Need Help fast...

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator

Last edited by Coupe Devil; 08-05-2002 at 07:00 PM..
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 12:58 PM   #2
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

You could check fuel pressure. I would definitly check your firing order. Also check to make sure that all the connections on the plugs and the cap are tight and that the plugs are tight. I just did a tune up with a Performance distributors ignition kit and i found that one of the plugs was in only acouple threads. I just got some wire seperators and found that a plug wire and come off the plug. I had a bad miss thru the driving range. Also check your coil. It could be shot. Check the resistance between the primary terminals, secondary terminals. Hope this helps.
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 01:27 PM   #3
Coupe Devil

I checked all the connections.. they look fine. I got some wire seprators with the kit.. As you know, there is not perfect way to route the wires so they arent crossed. I dont think its jumping fire though.. I drove the truck on lunch today. Stioll mmissed just not as bad.. How do I check the fuel pressure? It has not adjustable regulator.. I was thinkin about getting one for it but am leary now. I jsut need it fixed fast..

Bradley

Old 08-05-2002, 03:26 PM   #4
Coupe Devil

Also in the next phase of hte tune up, I am going to change the fuel filter this afternoon and see if that helps.

Bradley

Old 08-05-2002, 08:53 PM   #5
Fostang
Registered Member

Brad I think it's time you pushed it off the nearest mountain. Or that good old FOR SALE sign always works for me LOL

No actually could it be a bad TFI? Or Stator?

Sal
89'GT-Supercharged,Heads,Cam,Intake,TB,MAF,power pipe,headers,offroad exhaust,black bullits.
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 08:48 AM   #6
Coupe Devil

Ok folks.. I figured out what it was.. First off it wasnt missing. There was a BAD exhasut leak.. it was bad enough to make the truck run bad but the location sounded like a miss. It was actually the " Smog Tube "( I guess thats what its called ) that goes between the back of both heads and has the valve thingy in the middle... Well tthat valve had a slight hole in it.. I was looking around under the hood and reached to the back of the engine and broke it off completely... Then it REALLY got bad. So I put a new smog pipe on and were close to good as new.. Still got just a little bit of hesitation but its alot better.

Bradley