MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-28-2001, 12:03 AM   #1
I hate Rice
Registered Member

Arrow Upper and Lower intake manifold

I have a question, which is more restrictive the upper or the lower intake manifold. Which one would give me a better boost if I replace it, or do they really work together.

Thanks.

------------------
97 Mustang GT Convertible

K&N filter
No silencer
Sidewinder 5000 Alarm
I hate Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 07:26 AM   #2
I hate Rice
Registered Member

Another question, would there be a significant gain if I put a 96-98 cobra intake on. They seem to be a little easier to get? Is there any aftermarket intake that works really well?

------------------
97 Mustang GT Convertible

K&N filter
No silencer
Sidewinder 5000 Alarm
Old 08-28-2001, 10:13 AM   #3
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

The restriction is in the heads. Its not worth the time or effort to do the intake w/o doing the heads. If you want good N/A power, replacing the heads is a must.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 12:55 PM   #4
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

You can't use the Cobra intake with the GT heads anyways. They are not interchangable. Also it's not practicle to try to change the GT motor into the 4v DOHC of the Cobra either. The heads are quite restrictive on the GT. But so is are the upper/lower intakes. One thing that really hurts the GT in torque is the freakin' box upper intake. I'm not sure of Ford's reasoning for using a box upper intake instead of a runner intake to make torque like the 5.0. The box or even short runner intakes put your hp up higher in the rpm's and will also decrease torque output. That's why the modular motor like the upper rpm's so much and don't make much torque down low. Let alone the fact that the lower intakes are PLASTIC!! Then there's the very restrictive heads.....

There isn't hardly any selection for intakes. And the ones that are there both the upper and lower are replaced I believe. Has the intake recall been done on your stang? The 96-97 stang's had a known problem with the lower intake cracking on the front part of the intake behind the area of the alternator. There's a recall about it but Ford won't replace them untill AFTER it blows. Mine went out and I had to have it towed about 30 miles to get back home. Not too happy. It was replaced with a 98 lower GT intake.
------------------
1994 Red SVT Lightning #2019

[This message has been edited by 96GTS (edited 08-28-2001).]
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 11:52 PM   #5
I hate Rice
Registered Member

how can I find out if my lower intake has been replaced and if it hasnt, once it breaks what should i replace it with
Old 08-30-2001, 04:25 PM   #6
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

You can call Ford or go to your local dealership and they can run you VIN to see if the recall's been done. When it blows Ford will replace it free of charge. If you don't want that intake then you'll have to fork over money for an aftermarket or 99 up one.

------------------
1994 Red SVT Lightning #2019
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote