MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-23-2000, 11:18 AM   #1
sgrn
Registered Member

Angry Air Intake Whistling Noise?!

Just bought a 2000 Mustang GT a couple weeks ago. At this time of purchase I was noticing a high pitched constant whistling coming from the front end when the car got up around 50-70mph.

The dealer told me this has to do with the Air Intake and how they changed it from metal to plastic and it will make this sound and it is 'normal' for the 1999-2000 Mustangs and that Ford had no fix for this.

I had the dealer ride in the car and he was able to hear this noise and agreed with me that it was louder than what would be considered 'normal'.

This noise seemed to go away when you rolled the window down so I attributed it to just a
leaking seal around the windshield and had the dealer give me in writing noting the problem.

Well I had the windshield replaced and the dealer told me it fixed the problem. Well I pick the car up and 2 miles down the highway same problem. So now before I take it back I
decided to do some research and checking and this is what I 'think' is going on.

When is is VERY windy outside you can hear this noise around 40mph.

If the wind is very still outside you will not hear this noise. I found this out yesterday morning I got up and drove it. It was rainy but no wind. I noticed a couple hoses coming of the intake were not cinched all the way up but figured this wasn't the fix. But I couldn't get the car to make the noise even at 90mph. But later that day the wind picked up and the noise returned.

If you get the car up to around 80-90mph the noise seems to go away.

You can also hear this noise at times when the car is around 30-40mph but it's not
CONSTANT it just 'squeaks' here and there.

Once again this is a very high pitched noise and for someone that doesn't hear high pitches it may not be noticable but for most people it is very noticable and you have to crank the radio or roll down the windows to not hear it when driving 50-70mph.

The sound does seem to go away when you crack a window but Instead of it being an air leak
I think it just goes away because the lower pitched sounds of the wind blowing drown it out.

So I at this point I'm sort of buying the problem being the air intake. If this is the case I can handle the occasional 'squeak' but
this constant whistle is getting on my nerves.

Anyone hear or have this problem with a 99-2000 GT?

Anyone hear of any dealers saying the same thing?

Comments? Suggestions?!

Thanks in advance!
sgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2000, 05:52 PM   #2
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Keep taking it back and make them figure it out and fix it. I don't know what it is. Especially since I can't hear what you're hearing. Sorry, wish I could help. If they keep screwing around and not getting it fixed make them give you a new car. Check the lemon law for your state. Alot of times if you take the car in at least 3 times and it still doesn't get fixed after being worked on those 3 times you can claim the car as a lemon and get a new one from the dealer.

------------------
FOR SALE: 1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, 48,000 miles. $11,500 http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?388

[This message has been edited by 96GTS (edited 10-23-2000).]
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2000, 07:30 PM   #3
Ripper
Registered Member

Unhappy

Sorry, you've got me stumped. I have not had this problem.

------------------
1999 GT - Laser Red
K&N, Steeda pulleys, & Steeda strut tower brace
(Upcoming mods: subframes (bought), Bassani X, & FMS 3.73s
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2000, 08:38 PM   #4
LilDeuceCoupe
Registered Member

Thumbs up

its ok man, mine does this too, since ive done major top secret ninja mods to my air intake, MAF sensor, and other top secret stuff i cant talk about now, along with my ram air, the air intake whine is loud enough that people ask if its supercharged. its quiet at idle but makes the noise at anything over 1/4 throttle doesent it? did you remove the air silencer/restrictor? the intake puts out more noise when the silencer is removed.
if it sounds like a vac cleaner this is normal. Death to Ricers!

------------------
2000 GT, custom ram-air,
K&N, Thrush Glasspacks-
& 100 shot of NOS...
LilDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2000, 09:46 AM   #5
sgrn
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback!

Actually after posting around a few boards on the net and passing a few emails off and getting some insight I decided before I take it back to the dealer I was going to figure out what was wrong with it first.

Anyway to cut it short the problem turned out to be the passenger side window. I took it to the car wash and ran the jets over the molding all around the car to test for any major leaks. After this I took it for a spin and WOAH! No noise!!! In fact it kept quiet for a whole day! <Until the molding dried I would guess> It's a nice relief! I also here the 'whine' from the intake but that's not even noticable to me unless I'm listening real hard.

sgrn is offline   Reply With Quote