MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-30-2004, 02:44 AM   #1
qwikhuh
Registered Member

Unhappy new fuel pump...regulator too???

I think my fuel pump is about to go out on me. The plugs are a little white so I cleaned the maf, dumped injector cleaner in her and gave her a tune up. I installed a guage on the shrader valve and the pressure jumps initially when I get on the throttle but when I hold the rpm it dives back down to about 33 psi which is below what it is at idle. At idle it is about 36-37 psi with vac., and without vac. it is 44 psi. 19# injectors. Sounds to me like the pump can't keep the flow. Also the pump is loud and I don't know what flow/make/etc. the pump is. I can hear it over my flowmasters that dump under the rear seat. Here is my question. I want to get a 190lph pump. Do I also need to get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, or will the stock regulator suffice. I talked to a guy at summit racing and he said that anything over factory 88lph flow you need an adjustable regulator. Is he feeding me a line of crap trying to sell me another 100 bucks or is he right. Any help would be appreciated soon cause I don't wanna be stuck with a dead pump.
BBK equal shorties, off-road h pipe, flowmasters, BBK cold air, underdrive pullies, pro 5.0 shifter, Ram clutch, no air pump, proform e-fan, fms alum. driveshaft, 3.73's, msd coil, fms upper control arms, 180 thermo, 255lph pump.
qwikhuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:30 AM   #2
go4it
Registered Member

The regulator would be a good thing to have. That new and bigger pump will be pushing more fuel so you will want a means to adjust it.
93GT, B-50 Forged 327, S-trim, SFMU, TFS TW heads, TFS stage 2 cam, Ported Cobra intake, AFM powerpipe, PRO-M 75mm massair, 75mm throttle body, 42lb.inj. 1 5/8 headers, 2 1/2 h-pipe and exhaust, 2 chamber Flowmasters, 3.55 gears, Elder.timing gears, Black Magic fan, FMS aluminum radiator, MSD6al/BTM, MSD coil, MSD shift light, subframe connectors, A-pillar gauges, Hurst shifter, C4, 3500 stall, 130amp alt., 73mm calipars.

2001 Red Lightning #913
2004 F150 FX4
go4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 07:21 PM   #3
Scrapla
Registered Member

I second that, a FPR ( Fuel Pressure Regulator ) is a nice upgrade and will help take advantage of that new pump also comes in handy with any future mods, Aeromotive makes an afordable one and ive heard great things about it so I say get one.

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:33 AM   #4
qwikhuh
Registered Member

let me rephrase the question. Is an adj. fuel pressure reg. a must have when you get a higher flowing pump like a 190 or 255? I don't quite have the money this week for a reg. and pump, but I do have the money for the pump.
BBK equal shorties, off-road h pipe, flowmasters, BBK cold air, underdrive pullies, pro 5.0 shifter, Ram clutch, no air pump, proform e-fan, fms alum. driveshaft, 3.73's, msd coil, fms upper control arms, 180 thermo, 255lph pump.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:35 AM   #5
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

They're nice to have, but you don't NEED one.

My 93 coupe has a 255lph pump and the stock regultor and it runs fine. I'm headed down to JMS in Mobile AL for a couple of dyno runs Monday. I'll let you know how the air/fuel mixture looks.

-Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:19 AM   #6
qwikhuh
Registered Member

I have heard from a lot of people that most all fuel pumps are made by the same company, so I just bought a summit 255 pump online. Hopefully this will fix my fuel problems and give me back the lack of power that this car seems to have right now. I figure that it should fix it. I mean it was running less fuel pressure at mid to high rpm's than it was running at idle. Makes sense why the car runs really good when you are just cruising along, but when you get on it the car just doesn't seem to have the get up it should. My wallets gettin thin, but it's worth every penny. I found Kirban fuel pressure regulators for 70 bucks plus shipping. Anyone know if these are a good FPR?
Old 07-01-2004, 01:26 AM   #7
tireburner163

Quote:
Originally posted by qwikhuh
I found Kirban fuel pressure regulators for 70 bucks plus shipping. Anyone know if these are a good FPR?
Better than a good regulator, more of a kick-ass regulator in my opinion.

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 07-01-2004, 08:42 AM   #8
LX5liter
dude5l

The only problem with the Kirban I have is I wish it would have had a port off it to hook up a fuel pressure gauge. Other than that it's great!

Brad R.
1992 L.X. 5.0 coupe
MODS: A few little bolt ons
New Best time ...11.60 @ 128 mph @ 2000+ ft altitude.

Rice Haters Club member #39

Users rides #2542
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:46 AM   #9
qwikhuh
Registered Member

I've already got an accel guage on the schrader valve, so it sounds like Kirban is the way to go. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:33 PM   #10
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163
They're nice to have, but you don't NEED one.

My 93 coupe has a 255lph pump and the stock regultor and it runs fine. I'm headed down to JMS in Mobile AL for a couple of dyno runs Monday. I'll let you know how the air/fuel mixture looks.

Josh, I know you already know this, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyways. For no more than an adjustable FPR cost, you should probably pick one up before you hit the dyno. If you are going to tune with the dyno, an adjustable FPR is a must, IMO.

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:48 PM   #11
tireburner163

Quote:
Originally posted by Hethj7
Josh, I know you already know this, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyways. For no more than an adjustable FPR cost, you should probably pick one up before you hit the dyno. If you are going to tune with the dyno, an adjustable FPR is a must, IMO.

I just haven't gotten around to picking one up yet. I've got too much stuff to buy for my LX hatch to really bother fooling around with the notch much. I'm mainly just headed down to JMS to hang out with a bunch of my friends that are going down and I though while I was down there I might as well back her up on the rollers. I could really care less about dyno tuning my basicly stock coupe, I just kinda know how much power she's laying down.

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 07-02-2004, 12:47 PM   #12
qwikhuh
Registered Member

As I suspected the Summit fuel 255lph fuel pump is made by walbro. I figured it would be, like about all oxygen sensors are made by bosch. Walbro is printed right on the side. I got it in less than 48 hours though, as I always do from summit. Got it before Sat., so the pump is going in tomorrow.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:11 PM   #13
qwikhuh
Registered Member

I got the pump 255lph pump installed today. The fuel pressure is just fine. It was a pain to install. I found out why when I pulled the old pump. It was a factory ford 95lph. The tank had never been dropped, so needless to say it was crusty and fun. The interior of the tank was good though. The old pump filter had a tear in it, so anything that went into the tank went directly to the pump and the pump was vibrating so bad in the fuel pump assembly that it started wearing grooves in the fuel pump itself. The new pump is so much more quiet. I can't hear it over my flowmasters unlike the old ford pump. The car still has an original factory pressure regulator and like I said before the pressure is fine. A Kirban AFPR will be on the way soon. No more dropped pressure like before. Tomorrow I am going to set the timing. Thanks again kids for all the help.

Erik
Old 07-03-2004, 06:19 PM   #14
whitepony
Registered Member

this might be a stupid question but where is the shrader valve??

thanks
mike
whitepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 09:03 AM   #15
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by whitepony
this might be a stupid question but where is the shrader valve??

thanks
mike
Look on your return fuel line down near the #1 header. You should see a service port. This is where a lot of people put their fuel pressure guages.

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 09:39 AM   #16
whitepony
Registered Member

of ok the i know where u mean now then they just run a small hose to a guages inside the car???

sorry to but in on the post qwikhuh!!
whitepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 01:14 PM   #17
qwikhuh
Registered Member

That is where I put my accel pressure guage. Be careful when you are installing it and keep a good handle on the small washer that fits between the schrader valve and the fuel pressure guage. I dropped mine and spent about 20 minutes looking under the car for it. I was real smart and installed my guage at night right after I got home from work. I was creeping around looking for it with a flashlight forever.