MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-09-2005, 09:25 AM   #1
StangFamily
Registered Member

Default Paint Questions

I'm preparing to paint the interior of my 67 FB. I am trying to decide which paint to use Acrylic Enamel or Acrylic Lacquer. I'm not sure what the difference is nor what is safest for a beginner(my first attempt at paint).

Also, what type of paint was originally used in the stangs?

Thanks
StangFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:29 AM   #2
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Default Re: Paint Questions

The original interior paint was acrylic lacquer. You can get the correct colors premixed in spray cans at any Mustang Supply store. It is a dull finish and is put on in thin coats so it does not fill in the grain in the metal textured doors. You should remove the old paint first on the doors, lacquer thinner on a rag works well, but steel wool works better. Be sure to wear gloves and if the car has nice paint be sure to cover well so that lacquer thinner does not drip on your paint, it will take it off too. When you get done, get a clean rag and wipe down with wax and grease remover (or enamel reducer) and let dry, then you are ready to paint. Keep the paint flowing, dont stay in one spot. I paint from one end to the other in a staight line and overlap. Start the spray off the car so you dont get the round wet spots. Good Luck!

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 06:44 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

Good advice from Orange97GTVert. the only thing that I would add is not to sand the textured surfaces, just use the laquer thinner and steel wool as previously mentioned. Sand paper removes some of the texture and makes it not look right after painting.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:16 PM   #4
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

If the door panels have heavy paint on them, it may be a good idea to use a drill with a rotary wire brush, those metal textured doors look great when prepped right!

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Old 01-10-2005, 09:24 PM   #5
StangFamily
Registered Member

Thanks for the information so far. Do you know anyone that sells the correct paint in quarts? What would I ask for if I visited a paint supplier? Some friends have recommeded that I use a single stage enamel. What do you'll think?

66 Coupe - 289/2V Burgandy/Parchment

67 FB - 289/2V Work In Progress
StangFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:21 PM   #6
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Enamel is too thick, it will fill in the textured metal. It also runs. Some Mustang Parts Suppliers may have it in quarts, but I'm not sure. If you will post the color codes I can look up the color #, but it may be an old number. Most any automotive paint co. can mix it.

Old 01-11-2005, 09:09 AM   #7
Kisner
Registered Member

When I restored my 68, I carefully sanded everything with fine steel wool (000) and used Duplicolor Engine Enamel (black low gloss). Sprayed 2 thin coats so as not to fill in the texture and it came out perfect. Looks virtually identical to the original. Have used that particular paint for years, will not run (unless you go crazy with it), and dries to a very hard durable finish.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote