MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-03-2000, 01:15 PM   #1
colin2000gt
Registered Member

Post Mods for 2000 GT convertible

Hey everybody...

This is my first post here. I just bought a new 2000 Mustang GT convertible. I've been doing some research on the internet to see what people recommend for them and I've devised a bit of a plan. So far I have just added a K&N and removed the air silencer. This is the order in which I plan on building it up (I'm not looking for a 12 second car... just something that will run in the 13s and won't break the budget since I am making 5 years of payments on this baby)

1) 3.73 gears
2) Bassani X Pipe
3) Bassani Cat Back
4) Superchip

That's about all I plan on doing to it... Superchips claims that their chip adds about 30hp. Anyone have any experience with one of those chips? Also who is the best gear manufacturer to go with?

Thanks,
Colin
colin2000gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2000, 05:48 PM   #2
T_Bone
Registered Member

From what I've heard, at least for Mustangs, chips don't actually live up to their claims as far as hp and torque.
As far as chip manufacturers go, Superchips seems to be good, as well as, hypertech. If you really want the chip to make a noticeable difference, you need a dyno tuned chip. Some people actually claim to have lost power after adding a chip that wasn't dyno programmed.
My advice...skip the chip and go for underdrive pulleys. At least until you add some kind of boost which requires an aftermarket chip for the full potential...just my opinion.
Also, if your adding the cat-back for power, don't waste your time. It's only worth 2-4 hp, I'd guess. The h-pipe alone will add noticeable power and a louder sound. If you still want a different tone after the h-pipe, then go for the cat-back.
Get an aftermarket short throw shifter such as a Pro-5.0, or Steeda Tri-Ax(if it's a Manual...you didn't mention). So, I would change the list to look something like this...
1. 3:73's for stick, 4:10's for Auto
2. X or H pipe
3. short throw shifter
4. pulleys
5. Cold air intake/MAF

Hope this helps. Good Luck and welcome to the Forum.

------------------
T-Bones '96GT

'96 GT 5-speed
Roush Cold Air Kit w/ K&N, 80MM Mass Air, Mac Cat-Back, Mac Pro Chamber H-Pipe, FMS 3.73's, FMS 70MM TB, March U/D Pulleys, Steeda Tri-Ax.
T_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2000, 06:40 PM   #3
colin2000gt
Registered Member

Thanks for the information... I thought about underdrive pulleys but I am hesitating because I live in AZ and I need all the cooling power I can get. Slowing down the water pump doesn't seem like the best idea. I have heard great things about those Steeda shifters... I will definitely be picking one of those up too (it IS a manual). That list sounds good... only question would be advantages or disadvantages of x pipe vs. h pipe.

Thanks,
Colin
Old 09-03-2000, 11:24 PM   #4
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Cool

Welcome to the Mustang community!

TBone has a good list for what you're looking for....

As far as the underdrive pullies go, I live in Dallas using the Ford Motorsport pullies.
We've been over a hundred every day for the past three months (105 today), and I've had no problems. You will notice the battery re-charge guage get a bit low if you sit in stop and go traffic for a while, but that's about it.

Non-Dyno tuned chips are a bad idea in my opinion, and hardly ever deliver the numbers they quote on our modular engines.

3.73 gears and a good shifter go hand in hand. You can practically kick the Steeda tri-ax from 2nd to 3rd...

The easiest way to think of the X versus H pipe debat is this:
Generally, an H pipe will deliver a bit more low end torque than an X pipe, while the X pipe will deliver a bit more HP in the high end. It's all about your style of driving...

In my opinion, An after-market cat-back system on 99-00 GTs are waste of cash unless you're looking for a different sound. The stock cat-backs flow quite well for near stock applications...

Hope this helps...

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103
"Traction Impaired" or "Nitto Needy"

"They think they can make fuel from horse manure.... Now, I don't know if your car will be able to get 30 miles to the gallon, but it's sure gonna put a stop to siphoning."
- Billie Holliday
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2000, 12:25 PM   #5
colin2000gt
Registered Member

Thanks guys, that was a lot of helpful information. Since everyone complains about the modular engine's lack of low end torque and I don't normally beat the crap out of my car... I'm thinking the H pipe sounds like the way to go. I'll give those pulleys a shot... I have heard your accessories actually last longer because they are not working as hard? So gears, shifter, pulleys, and exhaust... sounds good.

Thanks again,
Colin

2000 gt convertible
(Still working on the link)
Old 09-05-2000, 01:42 PM   #6
cravnpup
Registered Member

Let me just add a little to that list.

1. BBK or MAC Longtube headers and H-pipe
2. Cat-back
3. Pullies
4. 3.73 Gears
5. Aluminum Driveshaft
6. WMS velocity tube with 87mm MAF
7. Short throw shifter

That's pretty much what my grocerie list looks like as of right now. The future is looking like suspension and brake upgrades, and then a blower...

------------------
2000 GT Conv. 5speed
Triple Black
Current Mods: K&N, Mobile 1
ET: 14.6@99.8 (Bogged)
Upcoming Mods: BBK Longtubes, BBK H-pipe w/cats, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, and much much more
cravnpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2000, 04:24 PM   #7
v8powered
Registered Member

Lightbulb

I have a 99 GT and I have done some mods t my car. The Magnaflow cat-back, Bassani X-Pipe, and Pulleys did the most. Steeda pulleys are the best, MAC are **** for the 99-00. I also put in a Hurst short throw shifter. I installed a K&N and took the screen off the intake pipe after the filter because it lets much more air in. The exhaust system (cat-back and X-Pipe) did the most and gave me a hell of a lot of low end torque. The Magnalfow offers one of the most horsepower gains, along with the bassani cat back (but I got the Magnaflow b/c less $$$). I had Borlas on a 97 Mustang and they droned and drove me nuts at 2000 rpms. The Magnaflow system does not drone, sounds bad *** and gives good HP and Torque gain. I understand about 10 HP. If you just want sound (which is dumb, Flowmaster is it. Otherwise use the good ones. Also, Maganflow has a million mile warranty like Borla and they are mirror finshed mufflers and tips, and the tips are 3.5 inches which look huge and sweet. The pulleys I felt too. Hope it all helped. E-mail me at V8Powered@aol.com if you have questions, I have a lot of sources for info and help and maybe can help you with deals or let you know where I got mine.
v8powered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2000, 09:42 PM   #8
colin2000gt
Registered Member

OK wow I didn't expect so many responses. It seems like the H pipe would deliver more of what I am looking for (low end torque), but the most popular replacement seems to be the Bassani X pipe. Does anyone have experience with both? I really don't want to shell out a bunch of $$$ for one of these and not be happy with the result.

Thanks, Colin
Old 09-06-2000, 09:48 AM   #9
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Cool

OK, I think its time to get a bit into this a bit more.

Anytime you open the exhaust using after-market pieces, you will gain hp, but you will lose some torque. It all has to do with the loss of back-pressure in the system.

A near stock engine would not run very well with a 3 in. diameter pipe from the h-pipe back. You're just not putting out enough power, and the lack of back-pressure would take away some torque numbers.

The 5.0 started to shine after the install of a new H-pipe and cat-back, due to the design of the push-rod engine and the exhaust system.

The 4.6 is a different beast. Its an engine that loves the high revs, and can really pull in the upper tach with a few mods.

When you pull that restrictive h-pipe with 6 cats off, you WILL notice a small decrease in torque on the low end, but you will also notice a new chunk of power up high. That's why the 3.73 gears are so important, they will give you a "bite" that you've been missing, as you'll be able to use more of your power band, and you'll be in it more often. An h-pipe will retain more of that torque after those restrictive cats go away, as an x-pipe will give you more up top. Like I said, its a matter of taste.

The 4.6 is not your uncle's old 5.0, and you can't drive it like one either. Take the car and use it where it wants to be, high on the tach...

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103
"Traction Impaired" or "Nitto Needy"

"They think they can make fuel from horse manure.... Now, I don't know if your car will be able to get 30 miles to the gallon, but it's sure gonna put a stop to siphoning."
- Billie Holliday
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2000, 09:52 PM   #10
colin2000gt
Registered Member

OK... I think I got it now. It seems to make sense that if I am installing 3.73 gears which will keep the engine in a higher rpm range anyway then it would make sense to match that to an x pipe which will give me more power within that same band. Thank you everyone for all of your help... I think I finally know exactly how I want to set her up. I'll let you know how the first run down the strip goes!

Colin
Old 09-07-2000, 06:58 PM   #11
ThePhantom
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by colin2000gt:
Hey everybody...

(I'm not looking for a 12 second car... just something that will run in the 13s and won't break the budget since I am making 5 years of payments on this baby)

1) 3.73 gears
2) Bassani X Pipe
3) Bassani Cat Back
4) Superchip

That's about all I plan on doing to it... Superchips claims that their chip adds about 30hp. Anyone have any experience with one of those chips? Also who is the best gear manufacturer to go with?
Welcome Colin. If you are going to get an s/c in the future don't do the gears- you will spin your tires way too much.

Bassani X-pipe? It's good. If legal in your area, do the MAC ProChamber...mean HP and Torque gains!

Bassani Cat-Back? Way too overpriced, grab yourself a MagnaFlow straight through system.
Again, good HP and Torque gains!

Superchips is worth it! It does nothing for the car. Trust me, it didn't do anything for me.

Good luck!

------------------

MODS: MAC Short-Shifter * MM caster/camber plates * MM full-length subframes * GW lower control arms * Bisltein Saleen N2 shocks & struts * FRPP aluminum offset rack bushings * Eibach 1.5" pro springs * Flowmaster 40-series (2-chamber) * Custom cat-back exhaust * Bassani X-pipe w/ hi-flo cats * CDC light bar * MW spoiler mod * 17 x 9 Cobra Rs * Superchips Chip (custom tuned) * Steeda Underdrive Pulleys * Steeda front and rear (adjustable) sway bars * Lojack and other security shiz * BBK 70MM TB * Chromium Tint * Aluminum Billet Grille * 35th side scoops * 35th bezel * 35th hood scoop *

SOON TO COME: Vortech V-2 * JE or Probe Pistons and Rods * Cobra or SH Crankshaft * Pro-M 87MM MAF * Steeda Strut Tower Brace * Shaved Emblems * 6- or 4-PT Roll Cage * Recaro/Daytona Racing Seats * Rear Seat Delete * Racing Hart C-5 18x9 front and 18x10 rear *
ThePhantom is offline   Reply With Quote