MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-28-2002, 11:56 AM   #1
spyrojoe
Registered Member

Default Exhaust debate...

I just got an '02 GT. It's bone stock and I'm about to change the exhaust. I don't want to go Flowmaster (like evryone does). I'd like to go Bassanni or Borla, but I've never heard either of these on a 99-02 GT. Any suggestions?
spyrojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 12:27 PM   #2
96GTfanatic
Registered Member

Why not Flowmaster? Just because most people have that?

Next Mod: 2003 Cobra (not any time soon)
96GTfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 10:55 AM   #3
spyrojoe
Registered Member

Pretty much. Almost everyone I know that has a Mustang (or any musclecar, for that matter) has Flowmasters. I've been thinking Mac, but it's a little to dry sounding.
spyrojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 04:08 PM   #4
96GTfanatic
Registered Member

Theres a reason everyone has flowmaster...because they're the best. why not get the best for your car?

Next Mod: 2003 Cobra (not any time soon)
96GTfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 04:37 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

It's debatable what muffler is 'the best'. Any good straight through muffler design will make more horsepower than a flowmaster on a stang, although it's only a couple of horsepower difference unless we are talking about a racecar. It all comes down to what sound you like. I personally don't like the low-mid-rpm interior drone that you get with a chambered muffler like the flowmaster. On my '79 Pace Car with the American Thunder catback, it seems to be loudest inside at exactly my freeway cruising rpms, and it actually has given me a headache before on a long drive
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 09:41 PM   #6
Rally
Registered Member

I know that they don't make models for the Mustangs, but a friend of mine with a Vette has a Corsa exhaust. It is a real Jeckel and Hyde! Nice sound at low rpms, nothing obnoxious, but when you get on it...it is pretty loud, you can really tell! It sounds like a race car at these higher rpms. I like that dual personality in an exhaust. When you dust someone off, they can hear the difference! Is there anything like that for the Mustang?
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 11:28 AM   #7
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

Uhh..Ummmm

www.magnaflow.com

COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 03:07 PM   #8
Rally
Registered Member

That's what I am thinking too... When I go catback, I'm definitely going with Magnaflows! The more reports I hear about them, the more I want them! I like stealthy power.

K&N...Tri-ax...Steeda pullies...
Old 03-05-2002, 03:42 PM   #9
BLKSTLN
Registered Member

Default exhaust debate

Yes, everyone goes with flowmasters. Sorry to sound like a parent but if everyone drove their mustang off of a cliff would you do it also? Don't get me wrong flowmasters sound great but if you want more horespower and torque, look into an X-pipe. I have a MAC X-pipe running into the MAC catback 2 1/2 into 3inch pipes. They don't have that rumble like the flowmasters but they sound great. And when you get on it you'll turn more heads than a tennis match! Look into it and check the dynos, I think you'll be happy. I am!
BLKSTLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 03:46 PM   #10
BLKSTLN
Registered Member

P.S. If you can afford the Bassani's or Borla, then go for it brutha!!! Bassani has a great X-pipe!
BLKSTLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 07:47 PM   #11
Rally
Registered Member

Actually, I was initially thinking of Dr. Gas or Bassani for my x-pipe (with cats) and Magnaflows for the catback... But you like the MAC setup blkstln? Hmmm. I'll have to look into it.

Old 03-06-2002, 09:54 AM   #12
SLOW 97
Registered Member

The best setup for power is a Bassani X-Pipe with any kind of straight through (Non-Chambered) muffler design like Bassani's after cat systems or Magnaflows. I personally like the oldschool Flowmaster sound but it doesn't make the power that these do. If you use chambered mufflers get an H-Pipe. If get an X-Pipe though you should use straight-through mufflers because they work better wih X-Pipes and make power at high RPM's.
Ripped off a BLISTERING 15.37@90MPH
With a 2.21 60ft
Just Installed- K&N Air Filter
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
-Flowmaster A/T or Magnapack Cat-Back
SLOW 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 04:22 PM   #13
Rally
Registered Member

Cool. Thanks SLOW97. It looks like my original proposition will work great...x-pipe/Magnaflows... I will keep an open mind as well.

Have you heard anything about Dr. Gas? There was a post some time back about the location of the crossover improving power. I believe if is was closer to the transmission, rather than rearward, it made more power. Dr. Gas's x-pipes were supposed to have this construction. But about build quality and reliability...Does anyone have any opinions about Dr. Gas?

Does Bassani has better reliability with their cats now? I have heard reports of their cats failing. Is this still true?

Old 03-26-2002, 12:34 AM   #14
StangGT2002

Everyone buys flowmaster because it is cheap in price. I have an 02 GT and I have the Bassani cat back system(Baffles removed). It isn't extremely loud and annoying like flowmaster, it still sounds awesome though. Also, Bassani is much better quality than flowmaster. Performance gains were good as well. True, Bassani is expensive but there is a good reason for it. Next for me is the Bassani X pipe with high flow cats.
Old 03-26-2002, 06:22 PM   #15
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I just had some Magnaflows welded in. With the long tube headers and H-pipe with hi-flow cats, the car has a nice deep muscle-car tone to it and sounds pretty raspy at full throttle, without droning too much.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 01:57 PM   #16
stylin99
Registered Member

Sound is always a personal opinion, but the Flowmasters have always been the classic deep rumble that people want for a mustang. I've heard lots of different setups and although there are plenty of awesome sounding stangs out there, I always come back to the Flowmaster. If you want a soundclip of Flowmaster and Mac Prochamber Hpipe together, check out the soundclip in my signature. I absolutely love the way it sounds and I get tons of compliments, no negative remarks at all.

SAE dyno: 337hp/452tq
1/4mi - on street tires: 12.88 @ 111mph[b]
UNnaturally aspirated
Modifications: 100 shot Nitrous (wet), 3.73s, Prochamber, Flowmasters, Mac CAI, Pro50 Shifter, SPEC Stage2 Clutch & Flywheel, Steeda Pulleys, 17" Ultralights, Steeda Hood, Sport Springs, & STB, Tokico 5way Shocks/Struts, UPR trunk mounted Battery Box, Aluminum Driveshaft, Steeda Sidewinder graphics, Billet Grill, brushed aluminum dash kit, Custom Rear Seat Delete kit, Autometer dual 'A' pillar gauge pod w/nitrous gauge & fuel press gauge,SS Bumper inserts, MGW interior accessories, sequential turn signals, & more.
stylin99 is offline   Reply With Quote