MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-08-2003, 08:45 AM   #1
Beanhead
Registered Member

Default How easy is it to install 3.73 gears?

I have to replace my pinion seal, and I figured while I'm in there, I might as well replace the gear and pinion if it's easy enough. Is it easy enough? Or do I need several specialized tools and 5 hours? LOL
Old 10-08-2003, 09:24 AM   #2
crazypete
Registered Member

(warning! nonstandard methods below!)

IF and only if you get an FMS gearset, it's fairly easy. The ford gearsets are supposedly all machined to have the same depth. What I did was pop the back cover, take the retaining pin out. Then I put the car back on the ground and I used the resistence of the car and parking brake to hold it in place while I loosened the ring gear bolts. You have to lift the back end and rotate the wheels a few times to get them all. Then you pop the driveshaft and using a huge ( 1 1/16?) socket, go after the pinion bolt and remove it with the car providing resistence again. Then lift, pop the c clips and pull the axles. Pull the differential out and save the shims and remember where everything came from! With FMS gearsets, you can simply reuse everything (unless it's worn). Get a dead blow mallet and WHACK the pinion. It'll take a bunch of pounding to get it to come out. Have a shop transfer the bearing to your new gearset using the existing shims on the pinion and pound it back into the axle. Everyone will tell you to replace the crush sleeve but you need herculean strength to get the new one to crush. I reused the crush sleeve as well. Pound the ring gear off the differential and use the oven bake trick to get the new ring gear on. Loc tight it and replace it, push the axles back and reinstall everything so the car can hold the ipnion for you. Get your pinion nut and tighten it till you have elimanated the wobbling effect and get ready for a hernia. Tighten it until it feels solid and gives a light resistence when you try to spin it. This will take at minimum a breaker bar. Reattach the driveshaft and take it for a careful spin! Problems will show up on deceleration. The only variable here is the pinion nut. If it howls, tighten the pinion nut till it goes away. See? No tools necessary. I used this method to go from 3.08 to 3.73 and have been driving around since last september on them with no noise whatsoever.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 09:41 AM   #3
b055
Registered Member

BSBSBS

FMS gears are crap.. and i'm just waiting for a flame on this but go ahead and ask me to back up my statement!!!!
Old 10-08-2003, 10:05 AM   #4
Beanhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by b055
BSBSBS

FMS gears are crap.. and i'm just waiting for a flame on this but go ahead and ask me to back up my statement!!!!
Well, I should hear both sides of the coin...
Old 10-08-2003, 10:24 AM   #5
USMC302
Registered Member

That's true, there are ways of doing it yourself, I recommend getting it installed proffesionally just to be sure of the backlash and shims and all are done right. It's better to have it done right the first time than to have fun doing it twice.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:35 AM   #6
Beanhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by USMC302
That's true, there are ways of doing it yourself, I recommend getting it installed proffesionally just to be sure of the backlash and shims and all are done right. It's better to have it done right the first time than to have fun doing it twice.
Yeah, I've heard that more than once myself. So far, I think I'm gonna stick to replacing my pinion seal...

Old 10-08-2003, 11:03 AM   #7
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Quote:
Originally posted by b055
BSBSBS

STFU you bastard, I've got FMS gears They're fine unless your making mucho power and beating the hell out of them (ie, TimeBomb)

Brad put my gears in using the method of reusing the old pinion shims. It worked pretty good.

Just make sure to stick the pinion gear in the freezer for a few days first.

-Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 11:07 AM   #8
stang_racer20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazypete
(warning! nonstandard methods below!)

IF and only if you get an FMS gearset, it's fairly easy. The ford gearsets are supposedly all machined to have the same depth. What I did was pop the back cover, take the retaining pin out. Then I put the car back on the ground and I used the resistence of the car and parking brake to hold it in place while I loosened the ring gear bolts. You have to lift the back end and rotate the wheels a few times to get them all. Then you pop the driveshaft and using a huge ( 1 1/16?) socket, go after the pinion bolt and remove it with the car providing resistence again. Then lift, pop the c clips and pull the axles. Pull the differential out and save the shims and remember where everything came from! With FMS gearsets, you can simply reuse everything (unless it's worn). Get a dead blow mallet and WHACK the pinion. It'll take a bunch of pounding to get it to come out. Have a shop transfer the bearing to your new gearset using the existing shims on the pinion and pound it back into the axle. Everyone will tell you to replace the crush sleeve but you need herculean strength to get the new one to crush. I reused the crush sleeve as well. Pound the ring gear off the differential and use the oven bake trick to get the new ring gear on. Loc tight it and replace it, push the axles back and reinstall everything so the car can hold the ipnion for you. Get your pinion nut and tighten it till you have elimanated the wobbling effect and get ready for a hernia. Tighten it until it feels solid and gives a light resistence when you try to spin it. This will take at minimum a breaker bar. Reattach the driveshaft and take it for a careful spin! Problems will show up on deceleration. The only variable here is the pinion nut. If it howls, tighten the pinion nut till it goes away. See? No tools necessary. I used this method to go from 3.08 to 3.73 and have been driving around since last september on them with no noise whatsoever.

u had it mostly right except for checking the backlash and wear pattern which is the most critical part. yes the original shims for fms gears should work(they did on mine), but make sure they work before you drive it! And just a word of advice for you crazypete, not replacing your crush sleeve was a BIG no no! You'll see the difference in the long run when your gears bust within a few years.
92 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker(Forged Steel Crank/Rods-Balanced, Forged Aluminum Dished Pistons), Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads w/ Stage 3 port/polish, 80mm C&L MAF, FMS 30# Inj., BBK AFPR, Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam, Trick Flow 1.6R Rockers, BBK E.L. Headers, Flowmaster Cat-Back, MAC CAI, FMS Pulleys, Griffin Alum. Radiator, MSD Pro-Billet Distributor; AOD, Dynamic 3300 Lockup Converter, B & M Super Cooler, B&M Ratchet Shifter; 3:73 gears.
stang_racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 01:07 PM   #9
crazypete
Registered Member

Now the crush sleeve just creates some backward pressure on the pinion while the pinion nut creates forward pressure, right? So if I get the pinion nut to the exact same tightness as it originally was, the crush sleeve should be doing it's job. Here was my mentality: if I do it wrong, I drop the rear end and have someone fix it. By the way, I dont own any air tools, so I have to work with mallets and breaker bars and crushing a crush sleeve sounded like it was out of the arm power range of this lowly programmer =P. But it worked (i.e., I got lucky). Even on engine braking at highway speeds, the gear doesnt make a peep. The driveshaft is ready to shatter and fly out of the car but thats a different issue. Hey if it all blows up.......4.30's!!!
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
Old 10-08-2003, 03:12 PM   #10
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Quote:
Hey if it all blows up.......4.30's!!!
Yeah...or a driveshaft sticking through your back seat floorboard.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 03:24 PM   #11
crazypete
Registered Member

if my driveshaft breaks....

POLEVAULT!!!

It'll be fun, I've never flipped a car before =P

Good thing I dont have any bumpers to throw off the center of gravity. If one day I suddenly stop posting then you'll all know pete went went down with the ship!
Old 10-08-2003, 03:24 PM   #12
USMC302
Registered Member

Yeah, a driveshaft loop is cheap and well worth it
Old 10-08-2003, 03:29 PM   #13
crazypete
Registered Member

No, it's the stock driveshaft. They cant handle gearswaps and end up vibrating because the driveshaft now has to spin 3.73/2.73 = 36% percent faster at the same speeds. You could produce the same DS vibration by driving a stock 2.73 equipped mustang 75/.64 = 116 mph! Even then, the vibration damper thingy hanging off the pumpkin will probably help.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:19 PM   #14
b055
Registered Member

i've installed a lot of gears in my time.. FMS are the worst one's as far as problems i've had.. i've had 3 sent to me that were missing teeth from the factory.. and one sent to me that the ring gear wasnt tapped GREAT QUALITY HUH???????????? is that all????????? NO i've busted 2 sets of FMS gears in a million pieces.. no precision gears yet.. and precision has never sent me a busted up gear or one that wasnt tapped for bolts..
Old 10-08-2003, 09:19 PM   #15
andy669
Registered Member

That crush sleeve is a PITA. I replaced mine with a solid spacer from Ratech. I reused a crush sleeve once (because I had no other choice) and it loosened up.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 11:26 PM   #16
pedley
Registered Member

Default crush sleeve??

ok what the heck is a crush sleeve?
i have a set of 3:73's in my car but i didnt put them in. so there for i have never done a gear swap
so plez bare with me i am new to the gear swaping issues!

just thought i'd ask cuz i was wounding
thanks
pedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 12:47 AM   #17
Scrapla
Registered Member

I would just that done at a shop its not thate expensive and I got mine done at a local shop and also while you have the rear end apart its a good time to look at the wheel bearings and axles to see if they need to be replaced which was the case on mine and I got it done in one shot I also wish I would of gotten the after market pumpkin cover, just my .02

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 02:03 AM   #18
stang_racer20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andy669
That crush sleeve is a PITA. I replaced mine with a solid spacer from Ratech. I reused a crush sleeve once (because I had no other choice) and it loosened up.

Andy
exactly. somebody back me up if im right but the crush sleeve(a new one) serves 2 purposes connected to each other.

1.) Maintain proper torque with the pinion nut.
2.) Hold pinion gear back so it does not move back and forth
92 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker(Forged Steel Crank/Rods-Balanced, Forged Aluminum Dished Pistons), Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads w/ Stage 3 port/polish, 80mm C&L MAF, FMS 30# Inj., BBK AFPR, Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam, Trick Flow 1.6R Rockers, BBK E.L. Headers, Flowmaster Cat-Back, MAC CAI, FMS Pulleys, Griffin Alum. Radiator, MSD Pro-Billet Distributor; AOD, Dynamic 3300 Lockup Converter, B & M Super Cooler, B&M Ratchet Shifter; 3:73 gears.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:10 AM   #19
stang_racer20
Registered Member

Default Re: crush sleeve??

Quote:
Originally posted by pedley
ok what the heck is a crush sleeve?
i have a set of 3:73's in my car but i didnt put them in. so there for i have never done a gear swap
so plez bare with me i am new to the gear swaping issues!

just thought i'd ask cuz i was wounding
thanks
the crush sleeve goes between the pinion nut and the pinion gear. check the pic out
Attached Images
File Type: bmp crush sleeve.bmp (249.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-09-2003, 02:13 AM   #20
stang_racer20
Registered Member

Default Re: Re: crush sleeve??

Quote:
Originally posted by stang_racer20
the crush sleeve goes between the pinion nut and the pinion gear. check the pic out
!@#$, did that pic even work?