MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2002, 02:14 PM   #1
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Question Repairing the Rust on the bottom lip of my hatch. Any tips or Suggestions????

I have some rust that started about a year ago along the bottom of the lip on the hatch on my 91 GT. I have finally gotten around to fixing it and have the hatch removed from the car and in the house(I'm fixing it in the basement). The spoiler is also removed except I have to find the wiring disconnect for the 3rd brake light. That is the only disassembly left to do.

I plan on using a dremel and removing all of the rust I can. The rust isn't too bad, but is accelerating rapidly. It is on the outside of the bottom lip and on the inside of that lip as well. After the rust is removed I am going to have to prep it for a small amount of bondo. I have never used bondo before and want to do this right the first time, so any tips in this department are helpful. I have all the sandpaper to smooth out the bondo and eventually wet sand the paint after I spray some on. That is another thing. I will be using duplicolor spray paint from a can to cover up the primer. Does that sound like a good idea? I do not have access to a professional spray paint system. Also, is a normal rust protector type primer a good choice to use to put on top of the body filler?

I plan on researching this some more on-line, but I figured I would ask you guys to get your opinion. I'm hoping to have this done within the next 30 days maiximum, because that is when it will be time for my car to come out of storage.

Any info is welcomed.

Thanks
-Jeff-

P.S. Mr. 5 0, I realize that this post probably belongs in the Appearance and Detailing forum, but I think it will wither and die in there and the windsor forum sees a lot more traffic. So, I would appreciate if it can stay here, however, I will understand if you move it. Thanks
190 LPH fuel pump, 3-row radiator,
Maximum Motorsports full length subframes

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada(wife's car)
2005 Ford Taurus SEL (company ride)

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS !!!!

Last edited by MTU 50; 03-12-2002 at 02:24 PM..
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote