MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-18-2003, 11:53 PM   #1
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Default best clutch and setup?

well my original clutch with 118k is on her way out, god bless her soul.

1)whats a good clutch to pickup, this is a street driven stock 90 Gt but I would like a quality clutch that will launch nice and take some abuse. any ideas?

2) and i also figure i should do the following as well:
Pressure Plate
Throwout Bearing (is orig alum? should get a steel replacement?)
Pilot Bearing
Rear Main Oil Seal
change tranny fluid (redlin synthetic atf)

3) flywheel - resurface or replace? since its the orig clutch, i doubt the flywheel has ever been touched.

4) also, thinkin bout getting:
clutch cable
adj quad
firewall adjuster
- any brand preferences for the 3 and are they necessary or just a good idea? thanks in advance.
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 12:08 AM   #2
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

As far as i've been told and from my personal experience, FMS King Cobra sounds like a good deal for your setup. Either that or a stage one SPEC. However, just to let you know, someone told me that the king cobra and the autozone clutches are not only made by the same people, but have the same pressure plate pressure, so who knows.

You definately need a new pressure plate, throw out bearing (don't think the material matters much) pilot bearing, disk, and you should get the flywheel surfaced. Rear main seal would be a good idea, and a fluid change would be good. (I change mine every three months or so)

Anyway, firewall adjusters are handy, new cable would be good, and a quadrant, but you don't really need them. I like the stock quadrant a lot, you just can't slam the hell out of the clutch and expect it to hold long. Don't know which brand is the best. Well, anyway, hope that helps. Good luck.

1984 LX Hatch
306 w/ TRW forged flat toppers, Comp Cams Magnum 292H, GT40P heads w/ 3 angle valve job, .550 lift springs, Angus Racing Roller Rockers, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 4150 650cfm carb, MAC 1 5/8 Long Tubes, Single Chamber Flowmasters, 91' T5 w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, Turbo Coupe 8.8 Rear w/ 3.55 gears, QA1 Motorsports tubular K member, no interior except steering wheel and seat.
Coming soon: 6 or 8 point cage, Fuel Cell, Weld Draglites
QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 09:55 AM   #3
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

thanks for the info quantum, anyone else with an opinion of a good clutch? how about the Ram kevlar?
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 10:38 AM   #4
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

For your setup the Ford Racing King Cobra clutch package is more than enough. I'm running it on my 331 and love it.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 10:40 AM   #5
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

I had a centerforce dual friction in my car and it kicked ***. Soft pedal feel, and it held the power very well. Most times if you get a clutch kit it will come with the throwout bearing so theres the pressure plate,. disk, and throwout out of the way. Changing the fluid is always a good idea. Definately get the flywheel resurfaced. As far as clutch cable goes the stock one will usually be fine unless its worn out then you can just replace that. I personally got a bbk adjustable setup and it works. I cant honestly tell you any difference between the stocker and this one though. Except now i have to crawl under the car to adjust it.