MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-22-2002, 05:10 PM   #1
mak375
Registered Member

Default Next?

I have a blk 94 cobra, cold air induction with a k&n, 3.73 gears, bassani x-pipe, flowmaster catback, rear upper and lower control arms, subframe connectors, and i am ordering headers.

I need help deciding what brand headers to get, and should i go equal or unequal length?

Also i am not sure where to go next. This is my daily driver, however now that i am up at school it sits in my garage for a week or two at a time. And i am looking for a beater so i can keep my miles down and keep my cobra looking nice all the time.

unfortunatly because i am a college student and right now i have no job until the summer, and even then i will not have much cash, i cannot afford stuff like a supercharger.
mak375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 06:54 PM   #2
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

I've heard that the equal lenght shorties arent really worth the hassel and money over the unequal lenght ones. So I'd reccomend the BBK unequal shorties. I've had mine for over 3 years with no problems at all, and you can still see some of the chrome through the burnt orange and blues

Have you considered pulleys? they're a great bang for the buck. your charging system should be fine since you have a SN95.

Since you can let the car sit. Why not pull the heads off and port the crap out of them. Those heads can be made to flow incredibly well. If you dont want to port them yourself then pull them off and have them ported professionally for a few hundred. It'll be well worth it.

since you'll have most of the motor torn down to do that anyway, why not throw a cam in there as the same time. The Trick Flow stage 1 would do nice and it's pretty cheap.

good luck
Old 03-22-2002, 07:06 PM   #3
mak375
Registered Member

Well i dont know jack about cars, and i would be afraid to do any of this myself. my one friends is goin to help me put on the headers. i was thinking of getting my intake proffesionally ported. Where could i get this done, and where might i look to find somewhere to have my heads ported?
steeda tri-ax, flowmaster catback, bassani x-pipe w/ high flow cats, MAC headers, ported and polished intake, trick flow twisted wedge heads, e303 cam, rear upper and lower control arms cold air induction w/ k&n air filter subframe connectors, underdrive pullies, MT ET streets, clear corners, chrome cobra r wheels
Old 03-23-2002, 04:31 AM   #4
Casper5.0
Registered Member

If i were you i would do the small stuff first. Get a bigger mass air, i was amazed how much my pro-m 75 mm bullet and my homemade cold air induction helped out. A 65 mm throttle body as well will help, the 94's came with a 60. Pulleys will help just a little bit, if you can find a used set grab em, the 94-95 cobras have an underdriven crank pulley from the factory. A cam would really wake your car up, but your would have to pull a good part of the motor apart, and if you were gonna do that then head porting could also be beneficial. As for the intake porting it's not worth it unless you're going to port your heads, the cobra intake works pretty well with the stock gt40 heads. You could get an FRPP extender as the CPU's in the cobras suck from the factory. Hope this gives you some ideas.

RYAN
94 cobra, steeda tri-ax, bbk longtubes, dr. gas x pipe, eec tuner, ultra flo's, 65 mm tb, underdrives, 75 mm MAF, homemade CAI, steeda #19 cam, Steeda LCA's, 3.73's, subframes

13.7 @ 103.03 before cam and gears
Casper5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 02:46 PM   #5
mak375
Registered Member

I have looked into the computer thing, and it seems like most people have varied opinions on the subject as to what i should do to fix it. Also, most suggestions for this seem rather expensive.

you would suggest a pro m 75mm bullet mass air?

what do you think of the Cobra SS hood?
steeda tri-ax, flowmaster catback, bassani x-pipe w/ high flow cats, MAC headers, ported and polished intake, trick flow twisted wedge heads, e303 cam, rear upper and lower control arms cold air induction w/ k&n air filter subframe connectors, underdrive pullies, MT ET streets, clear corners, chrome cobra r wheels
Old 03-23-2002, 04:11 PM   #6
SkadonyaCA
Registered Member

I have unequal shorties on my stang, love them, the engine has a very nice sound to it now too. They are BBK bought them from Summit for about $150.

The cheapest way to get a much better and much bigger maf is to go with ford's lightning maf. I put an 80mm on my car. If you get a discount at ford you can get them for under $100.

Amanda
Ford racing springs; KYB gas adjust shocks/struts; Intake (undecided); Approx. 12 degree timing; GT-40 P heads (ported); GT-40 P headers (ported); Cobra Rockers; 65 mm Throttle body; EGR spacer; 80 mm Lightning MAF; 3.55 Ford Racing Gears; CustomChip; B&M high stall torque converter; tranny cooler; fuel pressure regulator and gauge; 175 Amp Alternator; 2000 watt Audiobahn/panasonic soundsystem; CD w/Changer, 2 - 10" Aluminum Subs; audiobahn 1 farad capacitor; Dual Cut-outs just past the primary Cats; MAC cold air induction; Reverse Indiglo guages; 9mm Wires; Window tint; underdrive pulleys
_ ___________________ _
2001 Silver GT Convert. Automatic Black top
SkadonyaCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 12:46 PM   #7
mak375
Registered Member

My one friend said that a a bigger mass air wouldnt do much and since i am on a somewhat tight budget, that it wouldnt be worth it.

I ordered unequal shorty headers.

If i was to want to get my car charged later on (either super or turbo) what would that mean in terms of what i should get upgraded to perpare and what would be useless cause it would have to be removed to put in the charger?

Also would i need a new hood to give my engine more room if i had a charger?

Finally pullies and cams...what brand and where can i get them for a decent price?
Old 03-25-2002, 04:26 PM   #8
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

no you wont have to buy a new hood for a "charger" as you put it.
But since you say you dont know jack about cars, then you should stay away from any sort of power adder.

Yes some are very reliable, but sooner or later theres gonna be atleast some blown head gastets and maybe some worse damage. So you'll end up spending a TON of money to have all this work done.

I believe one of the cheapest priced brands of pulleys is ASP. I got mine for around $80.

As for the cam, its all in what you plan to do with the car. The absolute best cam will be a custom ground one specifically for your combiation. But those can get rather expensive.
I'd suggest doing some research and find out what cam works well with the GT40 iron heads and Cobra intake that you already have. I'd suspect the Trick Flow stage 1 (like I said before) to be a pretty good one, especially for the price.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:11 PM   #9
mak375
Registered Member

Porting stuff seems to me like it would give minimal preformance aid, for the cost.

anyone have any estimates on my ETA after the headers?
i am running nitto extreme radials, since my car is mostly a daily driver
Old 03-27-2002, 11:35 PM   #10
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I think that you could hit 13's. @ 100+mph
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote