MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-12-2001, 08:18 PM   #1
The Red Baron
Registered Member

Exclamation New to Mustangs and Need Info!!!

Alright,

I'm not a Mustang guy (VW guy) BUT my younger brother is wanting to get a Stang.

My parents are dead opposed to this because of what I have gone through in my GTI (tickets, repairs, etc.)

Also they are concerned with safety, yadda, yadda.

I just want to try and help my bro out because he thinks our parents are trying to shut him down.

So if you guys can help me out, I'm trying to gather info on what to look out for on a 1987 Mustang 5.0 fastback (I think, the ones with the trunks). The motor is stock and has 210,000km on it. Or about 130,000miles.

Is there anything to look out for? Are these cars notorious for anything in particluar (repairs, faulty stuff).

anyways, any info appreciated.

Thanks!!!
The Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 08:22 PM   #2
The Red Baron
Registered Member

BTW, the price is $4000 cand, or about $2,500 usd.

thanks again
Old 11-12-2001, 10:06 PM   #3
stanger8172
Registered Member

I don't know of any probs with the '87 fastback. Just look for good oil pressure, at least 50. When you test drive it whip it around to see if everything seems tight (especially the torque boxes which are in the rear end above the rear control arms. The factory tack welds them and they can break loose)
'91 LX convertible , T-5, Centerforce Dual Friction, MSD Blaster Coil, FR 9MM wires, 13* timing, 1.6rr, ported/polished/milled stock heads, 1.94/1.60 stainless valves, March Performance Pulleys, K&N panel, 1"spacer, BBK shorties, 2 1/2" off road H, Summit 2 1/2" catback
stanger8172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 11:33 PM   #4
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Thumbs up

IMO They're pretty decent cars, Look for one that hasn't been beaten to death, and you have to know that they are speed density, which means that it's not Mass air, so if you throw big power adders to it (heads, cam, blower...) it might not run well. I believe the ones you're refferring to are called Notchbacks. Good luck and let us know what you find!
Old 11-13-2001, 12:20 AM   #5
dinomite
The Dude

ya, notchback. It is a sports car, so as has been said previous, look to see if its been beaten up. There aren't any major things to look out for, but as with any used car look for ANY leaks at all. For 2,500, with 130k on the clock, this car should be in pretty good shape; perfect mechanically, and pretty good on the interior/exterior.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:21 AM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The fastback is to hatchback as notchback is to coupe. The last Mustang fastback rolled off the line in 1978. The Mustang II was technically a "fastback" because the lock was not located in the decklid itself.

Anyways, the 5.0 engine is very reliable, and even if it has 130,000mi on it, as long as it has been reasonably taken care of, it will go quite a while longer. The chassis shouldn't pose any problems at all. The torque boxes are usually only suspect when they have been abused with slicks.

The transmission, if it's beat might be a little weak at 130k. Is he looking for the manual, or automatic?

As far as safety, the cars are very safe in a collision. I should know. Everybody walked away from an accident I was in some years back, about a 60mph head on with an Impala SS vs my little 88LX 2.3L Stang.

The cars are notorious for high insurance rates, and being a very poor choice for a first car, generally. There is a ton of power under the hood, and it can get people into a lot of trouble. While the car is very much catchable, you can always exceed your abilities with a car having well over 200hp. Think 1/4 mile in the mid 14's@100mph bone stock.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 01:28 AM   #7
bosco
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Unit 5302

The cars are notorious for high insurance rates, and being a very poor choice for a first car, generally. There is a ton of power under the hood, and it can get people into a lot of trouble

ill second that, there so light wieght and fun to drive with a few upgrades, its hard to hold back sometimes, especially when there is someone else around looking for trouble, not to dicourage you from gettin the car, they really are good cars, ive had a truck, and a camaro before this stang, and im considering getting another stang soon, there good cars
'87 coupe, 308, world product windsor jr. heads, comp cams 220@.050/.512 @110 deg., roller cam,crane full roller rockers, 4bbl 600cfm holly carb,1 inch spacer, wiend aluminum intake, pullies, msd distributer/ignition, 1 5/8 bbk shorties, off road h-pipe 2 chamber flows, 3.73 posi rear end, P.S.T control arms, steeda tri-ax shifter, t-5, auto meter guages, and more to come (hopefully )
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 08:44 AM   #8
The Red Baron
Registered Member

Thanks guys!