MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-29-2001, 01:07 PM   #1
Coupe Devil

Post Who else does there own work? - Long Rant

Just wondering who else does all the work on their stang or other car? I've noticed here lately that everyone wants to know how much something costs to have installed. Granted I realize that many people dont have the time or place to do alot of the work they have done by someone else. It just seems more gratifing to me when I do the work myself and it comes out right. I have had to redo some things from time to time but have learned what not to do the next time. I guess I just like workin on stuff so thats why I do it, and the cost is usually not worth it to me.

I'm not saying that everyone should do their own work, but I know people that have really nice fast cars that dont know a damn thing about what they have. I have talked to people about cars and all they can say is "Thats what the mechanic suggested I get". I guess I just get angry when all these other people have nice things that momy and daddy bought for them and they didnt deserve or appreciate. I am not asking for a flame war but suppose I'll get one here so I'm sorry in advance just had to let off a little steam.

------------------
'93 lx notch 4 banger (drive it to work currently), Using the 306, 8.8 posi, 4.10's, summit rear cover, elec. fan, cowl hood, wieand stealth intake, Heddman 1-3/4 long tubes, holley 650 d.p.carb., built c-?, e-303, full autometer guages, msd box, mallory unilite dist, and coil, roll cage, summit seat, subs, 15x10's in the back with slicks, skinnies up front, custom dash, all in use for 1988 Hatch Drag Car. Heres my site.
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/ponypower
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 06:13 PM   #2
Stang Runner
Registered Member

I with you on that people with a fast car and know not a thing about what a wate of the car!! I do my work on my cars and about 4 other people. Heck I Charge about $50 day to work on cars as long as it is not to hard

------------------
Engine: Steal Mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, Home ported Lower Intake, No power steering, No A/C
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5z,

Real power STUFF I Have and will put some time: Mac cold intake, 70MM TB, Valve covers (COOL ONES)255 Fuel pump NOS Dry 75HP, AFR 165 58cc, GT-40 Intake.
Next to get: Rocker Arms,Cam,Injectors 24, What might I need???See It at www.computerconquest.com
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 06:55 PM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Cool

I work on my car because I can't afford to have other people work on it

I don't know why just because somebody has a fast car they should be persecuted for not doing the work on it to get it that way. People like John Force and Billy Glidden don't do the work to their cars either.

As long as they don't run their mouth off incorrectly, I have no problems.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 07:15 PM   #4
1980convertible
THE Member..hehe

Cool

I did all the work on my 1980 comverible..right from the body and paint to swapping the 4.2L for a 5.0L. I am now working on my 1979 coupe and I know that this time I think I will leave the paint to the pros. Even though my 80 turned out beautiful , I don't want to spend another 7 weeks perfecting the block sanding. HEHE

Jeremy
1980convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 07:56 PM   #5
TJR
Registered Member

The only parts that I didn't install myself were the 3.73 gear, clutch, and exhaust (on the car when I bought it). Everything else I did myself with a little help from my dad and a couple message boards (Mustang Works & The Corral).

------------------
1989 lx notch
89,000 miles
5-speed, bolt-ons, 3.73, TFS TWs, TFS Track Heat, TFS Stage 1 cam
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 08:02 PM   #6
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

I think you'll find that most people on this board do their own work. I have done all the work on my car (with help from family and friends, of course) except putting in the rear gear.
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 08:15 PM   #7
Coupe Devil

Ok let me dig a little deeper. There are a "FEW" things that I will leave to a pro like the paint. It is so easy to mess up a quality paint job. I understand that there are certain things that are out of reach for anyone less than professionals. I was more pointing this post towards those that will pay someone to change the plug wires, or change a fuse because the window wont go down or the horn wont blow. There are many things that I couldn't have done with out this board or friends. My point is "It perterbs me greatly when someone automatically assumes that just because it is a car they can't fix it, or if they want to do something aftermarket they take it somewhere". Even if it is a radio installation. I guess I just get angry at the little stuff.

------------------
'93 lx notch 4 banger (drive it to work currently), Using the 306, 8.8 posi, 4.10's, summit rear cover, elec. fan, cowl hood, wieand stealth intake, Heddman 1-3/4 long tubes, holley 650 d.p.carb., built c-?, e-303, full autometer guages, msd box, mallory unilite dist, and coil, roll cage, summit seat, subs, 15x10's in the back with slicks, skinnies up front, custom dash, all in use for 1988 Hatch Drag Car. Heres my site.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:58 PM   #8
speedemon
Registered Member

Its hard to get Mustangs in your blood till you,ve left some blood on your Mustang.[busted knuckles]The only thing I would let someone else do is paint.Even though I have done a couple of decent jobs myself.The 97Gt I'm not so sure about but am looking forward to learning about it as soon as the warrantee is done.

------------------
97 Mustang GT.Bone stock.I have owned 6 other Mustangs.Nothing newer than 1971.
speedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 09:03 PM   #9
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Thumbs up

I feel ya. My father in law is hesitant to work on the Gt or the Cobra, when it comes to down and dirty stuff. He's been contimplating building a 351 or a 331, and so on. He doesn't realize that I have built more motors than I care to count and that I have enough knowledge to do the job, and do it right.

I've been trying to talk him in to being a silent partner, or a hands on partner, with me and open up some sort of shop. He just lacks the confidence it takes to do it. Hell, when the motor finally let go in the GT, I begged him to let me tear it down and inspect it. He finally let me go through it, and when I did he was there to look over my shoulder, not that it's a bad thing.

I've had people ask me how much I would charge them to put on a cold air intake. Same with doing a break job, oil change, tire rotation, waxing, detailing, you name it. It makes me sad for the owners car, but if it makes my wallet any deeper, all the better, right?

Later.
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 09:35 PM   #10
Stang Runner
Registered Member

pony_power_90 painting is not that hard I saved about 1800 by doing it myself. And People cant belive I did it myself and it was the frist thing I have done. Next car will be perfect!!!!!!!! I painted so panles 15 times or more A LOT of Time!!!!!!!!! I panle took about 3 Qt to do Alot of time!

------------------
Engine: Steal Mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, Home ported Lower Intake, No power steering, No A/C
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5z,

Real power STUFF I Have and will put some time: Mac cold intake, 70MM TB, Valve covers (COOL ONES)255 Fuel pump NOS Dry 75HP, AFR 165 58cc, GT-40 Intake.
Next to get: Rocker Arms,Cam,Injectors 24, What might I need???See It at www.computerconquest.com
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 09:51 PM   #11
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

***I guess I just get angry when all these other people have nice things that momy and daddy bought for them and they didnt deserve or appreciate.

You know everyone(like you) assumes just because people(particulary younger people) have nice things, parents pay for it. That's some BS if I've ever heard it. The grass is always greener on the other side, huh? Man just be happy with what you have, and take pride in your car, and quit bit*hing. But I guess everyone bitc*hes a little about stupid things. So tell us what happened? Come on, something had to happen for you to be venting like this. Let it all out, it will make you feel better.

***I was more pointing this post towards those that will pay someone to change the plug wires, or change a fuse because the window wont go down or the horn wont blow.

An idiot could do those things. Someone actually pays to have someone change their plug wires? Hmmmm....not I.

------------------
-1989 GT, not stock.

-2000 Camaro SS-A4,
13.4's bone stock.

-1989 Chevy S-10, EX. Cab-383(500+hp on motor), tubbed, trick flow heads, trick flow pistons, etc... autometer phantom gauges, "built" 700R4, roll cage, lexan back window, corbeau seats, R.H.S. 5 harnesses, Fuel cell, convo pro wheels, 15x14's with 29x18.5 M/T'S on back, 15x4's on front, nitrous, and so much more!
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 11:33 PM   #12
347MOM
Registered Member

CREWZIN AND I DO ALL OF OUR OWN WORK!! I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH BY DOING IT THAT WAY. I LOVE GETTING UNDER THE HOOD OF MY CAR AND PIDDLING, TO ME IT IS RELAXING.

------------------
347's '91 BLOWN AND STROKED DARK GREEN CONV. MUSTANG

Girls can too's August "Mare of the Month"
347MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 01:24 AM   #13
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

I do all my own work besides transmission and rear end work. I honestly don't trust anyone to work on it. Unfortunately, all the horror stories I've heard makes me very wary to bring it anywhere!

And besides, I take pride in getting compliments and knowing I did it all!

------------------
Joe! 1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.58@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:www.joe4speed.com
99 Ninja ZX-6R:10.32@135mph!
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS 16.40@88.8mph
joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 09:10 AM   #14
69fastback
IRAQ VET

I agree something must have happened to get mad. I do hate the same stuff though. Yes there are ppl that pay to get there spark plugs and stuff like that changed pretty sad I know. I don't do all the work on my car there are things that i would not attempt to do, but most of it is done by my father and I.
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 09:27 AM   #15
drudis

I do ALL my own work. Hell, I even CREATED my own t-arm/panhard suspension from a bunch of steel I bought by the pound!
Welded my own cage, and subframes.
Installed the Tremec TKO.
Installed the Vortec S-trim.
Installed the Griggs K-member....
(too cheap, and I like to do ALL my own work).

------------------
Darius Rudis
Roadracer: Home built t-arm/panhard suspension powered by an S-trimmed motor :-)
My Mustang Page
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 11:34 AM   #16
Coupe Devil

Youre all right when you say something must have happened. I have a good friend that has a really nice 96 {cough} Chevrolet Truck. Its real nice with leather and all the goodies. We are both still in college to be engineers and he wont stop braggin about that damn truck. People ask him how he got such a nice truck and he tells them he worked hard for it. He did. To bad tht he doesnt have to pay his car insurance, cell phone bill, or medical insurance. He makes more money than I do at my job but cant figure out why I am always broke. maybe its because I have a life that requires I pay bills. His father gives him gas money and money to run around on the weekends with us. I got real mad this weekend. He woundnt drive down a gravel driveway at another freinds house because he didnt want to get the truck dirty. He said his dad would ***** at him for having a dirty truck. OK I have a solution. WASH IT. He is restoring a 65 coupe with a 351 and top-loader 4 speed but cant work on it because his dad isnt around to watch him much. He is paying for the car and everything but cant seem to do anything without asking daddy first. It just pisses me off that he is so oblivious to the real world and how he will feel when he moves out and has to pay his own bills and cant drive that fancy new truck......

Ahhh much better now. Thank you very much.

Now I dont expect an 80 year old man to work on his car much but if your able, take some pride in your investment and do the work yourself. I am going to attempt the paint on the drag car. It's not a showcar so if I F it up it's not a big deal. Oh and "stangrunner" where I am from if a young person has something nice, mommy and daddy DID buy it for them. I have worked very hard and carried multiple jobs at one time to have the car that I have now and go to college full time doing it. I know that the people ON THIS BOARD work hard for the things they have. I dont believe they would be here if they didnt. They would find somewhere else to brag about what they have. And how lucky they are to have those things. I consider myself much more fortunate because my father taught me a good work ethic not bought me a new truck. I can provide for a family and take care of myself, all these others can do is go ask mommy for a new car every other year because they want one. I am building the drag car by myself except for a few friends that want to help me. I not bragging in saying I have the skill to do it all but It makes me fell good to wax someone and know that I made that happen not because I just wrote a check for it. Thank you and good bye.

------------------
Old 10-30-2001, 04:44 PM   #17
Rev
Registered Member

I did almost everything myself on my car. The only things I didn't do were the long block build, the C-4, and the rear axle rebuild.

The paint and body I did myself. I don't recommend that though. It took me 6 months of weekends and $1500 in materials. My wife felt so sorry for me when I was stripping (chemically) the body down to bare metal that she put on rubber gloves and actually came out in the driveway and helped me.

This is to illustrate that some things are better left to professionals. That's what I would do on the major paint and body work if I had it to do over again. On the other hand, I spent $1500 instead of $6000 that I didn't have available and I did get it done.

Suspension, steering, brakes, interior I did all that myself and no reason not to.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.

[This message has been edited by Rev (edited 10-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Rev (edited 10-30-2001).]
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 05:12 PM   #18
84LX89GT
Mustangs

The only time i have a problem with someone who has any kind of car about not doing the work (stock or modified) is when they start acting like they're done all the work or know more than they obviously know, when it's a proven fact that all their simple stuff like oil changes, belt changes, tune-ups let alone big stuff was done by someone else and without them showing the interest or effort to do it themselves.
I personally find it enjoyable to work on my car because of the satisfaction of fixing it right. The first time i ever did a timing chain (engine work requiring the engine to be partially taken apart) was on my '84 LX, and i even diagnosed it myself and not just guessing/throwing parts at it. When that thing fired up i had the biggest smile on my face. The cover didn't leak after i did it either, even using the cork gasket and silicone.
My point is i take satisfaction in knowing i've accomplished something that took time to do and was interesting, and when people say, "Yeah, well i rebuilt my Brand XXX big block and put it in Brand XXX car" and you know that their dad or someone did it for them and they mention nothing about someone helping them....that kinda pisses me off. Other than that i don't really care.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
my LX
'89 Mustang GT
my GT

[This message has been edited by 84LX89GT (edited 10-30-2001).]
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 05:16 PM   #19
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation

pony_power_90:

I have no problem with anyone who pays to have car work done - if - they don't try to take credit for having a fast car that they did little or nothing to build, much less plan. That is not cool.

Many of the fantastic Mustangs featured in the magazines are pro-built but at least most of time the owner carefully planned out the mods and directed the build-up, which is fine with me. His car, his plan, his money.

Now, for the guy who buys an already-built fast 'Stang and claims it as his when it's really someone else's project built by someone else and planned by someone else, then I might have a problem with that guy.

Frankly, I've only met one or two people like that over the years. Most owners of fast Mustangs either did everything themselves, did most everything (body work scares a lot of folks) or bought a stock 'Stang, planned out the mods and then paid to have the work done by a pro, but know what their car has, how it works and why it's there. That's cool.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 05:26 PM   #20
Rev
Registered Member

Hey 84LX89GT, I'm with you. I do something almost every weekend to repair/tune/improve the function of my '66. It's a never ending thing for me.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with paying to have your oil changed if you don't have time to do it yourself or just don't want to.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote