MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-22-2004, 05:31 PM   #1
Dave_mustang_50
Registered Member

Default How to hook up? (tires)

Its almost supercharger time, and its got me wondering why im even putting the blower on. I have the stock poney wheels with nittos right now and traction is kinda pathetic. I`m thinking of mini tubs and a nice wide street tire that would last longer than the nittos, and hook like crack. I saw the tires on a viper and it got me thinking. Anyway, This is my daily driver and doesnt see the track so What ever I do has to be street friendly.
Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks for replies

Sold 92 Rag Top GT
Procharged & intercooled DSS 331 LC
Holley Systemax 2 Intake, Edelbrock RPM Heads,E 303 ,blow thru air meter, race bypass, 42 pph injectors,65mm tb,1.7 rr, Mac long tube headers w/off road H pipe, Force 2 catback, TKO,Pro 5.0, K&N, Alum DS,3 core radiator, subframe connectors,3.73`s, Nitto DR`s and a Heavy Foot.
Dave_mustang_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 05:55 PM   #2
FordFastGirl5.0
Registered Member

I was just wondering about nitto tires too I was thinking about getting some on my new cobra wheels, but if you say that nittos don't last that long and dont have much traction then I might have to find something else too, but Im not sure whats better out there. If you find some that are supposed to be good let me know. If I find some Ill let you know
holly upper/lower intake, timing chains, F303 cam, 24lb fuel injectors, 75mm mass air meter, underdrive pulleys, 3:73 gears, BBK C.A.I., BBK long tube headers, Off road H-pipe, 17" cobra R's, 2800 stall yet to come.......
FordFastGirl5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 06:18 PM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

If you are looking for good traction with a street tire then you are going to have to do suspension mods.

Sub frame connectors
control arms
springs shocks
etc.

Nitto and BFG drag radials dont last very long as a street tire and they wont hook any better than a street tire unless you heat them up and I doubt you are going to do that on the street anyways so whats the point.

Spend your money on suspension mods and it wont matter what tire you run.

Just my 2 cents.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 06:34 PM   #4
420nitro
Registered Member

I agree with Dark5.0
When it comes to tires,....stickey tires just don't last. If you think that Nittos and BF Goodrich don't last long enough then try to hook up with normal tires. The way to do this, is by spending time & money with your chassis and suspension components. But understand that you can only go so far, before nothing will work except for some sort of drag tire or road race tire. Then its all on how good you can drive.
Good luck
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 06:48 PM   #5
Simi Stang

Default tires

Nittos...from what I've heard do not grip near as good as BFG drag radials. I used to have drag radials and they hook real well. With the psi. at around 20-25psi. I could launch at about 3,000 rpms and not spin much at all. But all drag radials are only good for supposedly 5,000 miles. I drove mine for at least 10K though. They were completely bald when they finally stopped hooking up for me and I had to ditch them. I really got my money's worth. For how long I drove them like that...I'm surprised I never got a fix it ticket for bald tires. Then again my car is '90 GT and is lowered some...so the ground effects kind of cover up the tire...unlike on the LX.
Personally I wouldn't go mini tub. I'd get BFG drag radials for the street. But don't drive them in the rain...it could be suicide. I speak from experience on that one. If you don't want the drag radials then just go with a 255 Z-rated tire. A 255 tire is about 10 inches wide. That should help you hook up fairly decent. But a lot comes into play when you are talking about traction. Like subframe connectors, shocks, upper/lower control arms...etc. You could always slap on some traction bars. I run the Lakewoods and they work great.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:54 PM   #6
Dave_mustang_50
Registered Member

Dark_5.0 I do have suspension mods, there just not in my sig.

FordFastGirl5.0 Dont get me wrong, they make a nice difference and I loved them when I had just over 300rwhp. I dont know how much power your making, but if its around 300, I`d say tryem. The nittos are the best tire ive had in the rain too.

My main thought is to mini tub the car and drop some monster tires out back. I know there are alot of high powered(500 hp or so) cars on this board. How do you all hook up on the street?

Sold 92 Rag Top GT
Holley Systemax 2 Intake, Edelbrock RPM Heads,E 303 ,blow thru air meter, race bypass, 42 pph injectors,65mm tb,1.7 rr, Mac long tube headers w/off road H pipe, Force 2 catback, TKO,Pro 5.0, K&N, Alum DS,3 core radiator, subframe connectors,3.73`s, Nitto DR`s and a Heavy Foot.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:25 PM   #7
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave_mustang_50

My main thought is to mini tub the car and drop some monster tires out back. I know there are alot of high powered(500 hp or so) cars on this board. How do you all hook up on the street?
The tires I run are Mickey Thompson 28x10.5 drag slicks on the street! (9 sec. car on spray & low 10's off spray)
Good luck on your tires
Old 01-22-2004, 09:00 PM   #8
andy669
Registered Member

Dave, if minitubbing isnt out of the question you could always just section the inners and run a BFG 325-50 or the new M/T drag radial. While youre at it, you could shorten the rearend up and run a 3 7/8 backspace wheel. A few racers have gone 8 teens doing just that.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 02:18 PM   #9
Simi Stang

Default huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by 420nitro
The tires I run are Mickey Thompson 28x10.5 drag slicks on the street! (9 sec. car on spray & low 10's off spray)
Good luck on your tires
Uhhh...ok??
Old 01-23-2004, 03:15 PM   #10
420nitro
Registered Member

Default Re: huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by Simi Stang
Uhhh...ok??
YEP!
I run Drag Slicks on the street! And since I moved into my new town I see alot of people doing the same thing! Don't get me wrong I don't drive the car 40-50 miles away or anything like that. If I had to go far I will just go in my truck. If needed then I will bring the car on the trailer. The car doesn't see enough street duty to off set the expense of another set of d.o.t drag slicks!

If I wanted to, I could most likey put Dots on it and race it at a D.O.T race but that is not my intrest at this point in time.
(plus there would be alot more suspension work needed like a mini-tub and such.)

Dennis
Old 01-23-2004, 04:04 PM   #11
Simi Stang

Default whoa

Wow...that's nuts. You actually see other people driving around on drag slicks?! You must have some pretty lenient law enforcement around there.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:17 PM   #12
420nitro
Registered Member

Default Re: whoa

Quote:
Wow...that's nuts. You actually see other people driving around on drag slicks?! You must have some pretty lenient law enforcement around there.
Yea it seems to be a race oriented town. I have several police officers living around me!!! A detective, patrol man, and a couple of troopers! They are all pretty cool! The key is to have RESPECT and not drive like an a**hole. I have kids and my kids play with there kids. If I want to jump on it I will take it out on the back country roads and not in the sub-division. There is one guy who has a new Cobra and drives like a Dick. He gets messed with even in his own little beater. Its like, you don't shyte where you sleep,.. kind of thing.
But even when I lived in Orlando, they did the same thing.
Dennis
Old 01-23-2004, 04:18 PM   #13
420nitro
Registered Member

Default Re: whoa

Quote:
Yea it seems to be a race oriented town. I have several police officers living around me!!! A detective, patrol man, and a couple of troopers! They are all pretty cool! The key is to have RESPECT and not drive like an a**hole. I have kids and my kids play with there kids. If I want to jump on it I will take it out on the back country roads and not in the sub-division. There is one guy who has a new Cobra and drives like a Dick. He gets messed with even in his own little beater. Its like, you don't shyte where you sleep,.. kind of thing.
But even when I lived in Orlando, they did the same thing.
Dennis
Old 01-23-2004, 04:32 PM   #14
420nitro
Registered Member

One other thing, the cops are the least of my concerns! What worries me the most is some drunk or idoit hitting my car after all the blood, time and money I have in it!
Another reason why it doesn't see that much street duty!!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2004, 06:58 PM   #15
420nitro
Registered Member

Hey Dave_Mustang_50,
I feel your pain man. Look when I had a basically the same set up.(306, twisted wedge heads, custom blower grind cam, GT-40 intake with a 14 pound ATI procharger,Tremec trans and 4.10 gears) (YES 4.10 GEARS!)I drove on factory 5 star pony wheels with 245/50/16 BF Goodrich Comp VR-4's.
Yes traction was a joke!!! I just knew that I had to baby it until it was half-way into 3rd. I couldn't even jump on it untill it had slicks on it. I did not want drag radials because of the same reason (didn't last).
So at that point it became how good I could drive the car. When it came down to a race for money, you bet the car had slicks on it, otherwise I wouldn't even bother.
Hope this helps.. I wasn't trying to be a smart *** by no means with the prior replys but after almost losing the car a couple of times, slicks were the easiest thing to do. And know with the new combo, traction seems to be the problem again for me, with the slicks on!!!
So go fiqure
Old 01-23-2004, 07:39 PM   #16
Dave_mustang_50
Registered Member

420nitro - My big thing is it has to be streetable. That means even in the rain. The last week and next week i`m driving north of orlando for work. Thats a 2 hour ride 1 way! Just curious though, how did you like your old combo? Its very similar to what mine will be. Also, what size injectors did you run at 14lbs?
Thanks

Sold 92 Rag Top GT
Old 01-23-2004, 07:50 PM   #17
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
420nitro - My big thing is it has to be streetable. That means even in the rain. The last week and next week i`m driving north of orlando for work. Thats a 2 hour ride 1 way! Just curious though, how did you like your old combo? Its very similar to what mine will be. Also, what size injectors did you run at 14lbs?
Thanks
42 pounders with no FMU. And a cartech stageII fuel system.

I did not like it! Alot of driveabilty issues!!! Car was a lot of work, just to drive it!! It seemed that it only wanted to be at idle or W.O.T, no in between. Where I bought it from were a**holes after the big purchase,... and ATI Tech wasn't any better. After a little time I snapped the crank and split the block in half!
Hopefully you won't have the same issues.
Good luck with yours
Old 01-24-2004, 07:42 AM   #18
Dave_mustang_50
Registered Member

420nitro - Damn, that sucks. Did your 306 have a main support or was it a regular 302 block? Great info on injectors, I already bought the svo 42`s and am not planning on an fmu either.
As far as procharger goes, they have been great to me so far. I bought the blower used off ebay under warranty. They inspected/tested and certified it for 60 bucks. Then sent it back to me with another box of oil.
Thanks for the info on driveability probs. Maybe thats why Idle Wild told me they would need the car for 7-10 days to tune it. I just thought they wanted to see me drive the wifes vdub longer. J/K

Sold 92 Rag Top GT
Old 01-24-2004, 08:48 AM   #19
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
420nitro - Damn, that sucks. Did your 306 have a main support or was it a regular 302 block? Great info on injectors, I already bought the svo 42`s and am not planning on an fmu either.
As far as procharger goes, they have been great to me so far. I bought the blower used off ebay under warranty. They inspected/tested and certified it for 60 bucks. Then sent it back to me with another box of oil.
Thanks for the info on driveability probs. Maybe thats why Idle Wild told me they would need the car for 7-10 days to tune it. I just thought they wanted to see me drive the wifes vdub longer. J/K
yea it had a main support on it.
I think it needed a custom chip or DFI. The issue was that I purchased the blower when it first cam out and everybody was running a Vortech instead. Nobody had enough info or experance with the ATI unit to tune it correctley. Times have changed now and hopefully you shoudn't have any issues.
good luck