MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-13-2001, 12:44 PM   #1
ponypower
Registered Member

Post what the ****, i can't find the prob

ok, everything is new it only has 250 miles and runs great. but the check engine light comes on. ran the codes, 33 and 34, yea big help. it runs great then when i stop and put it in PARK, yes it is an AOD, it idles up and down once or twice, then dies. when i restart it, it does the up and down then dies. i've checked everything i know of, any help would be great. oh yea after an hour or so it starts and runs fine till it goes in park again.

306, cobra u/l, 70mm, 73mm MAF, 4.99/5.10 custom cam, worked E7's, EGR ports blocked in intake, no vacuum to egr valve, autolite 24's.

that's all i can think of. THANKS
ponypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 03:54 PM   #2
Capri306

Quote:
ran the codes, 33 and 34, yea big help.
Uh, yeah actually that IS a big help. 33 means EGR valve opening not detected, and 34 means EVP voltage above closed limit. This is due to the fact you've disabled the EGR system. Not cool since it's going to limit your timing now, and you're going to lose some mileage if that's a concern. As to why it's dying like that is probably a different issue, since EGR is only used during cruising (hence most ppl leave it on). I'd try cleaning out the IAB thoroughly with a spray cleaner & toothbrush (old one unless you like that flavor ). Then check to see if the EGR valve is clean and the pintle is seated properly, and that the valve is fastened down and not leaking into the manifold. Other than that, resetting idle parameters are the only other thing I can think of, unless you have some ungodly vacuum leak somewhere. Good luck.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch

[This message has been edited by Capri306 (edited 03-13-2001).]
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 12:34 PM   #3
ponypower
Registered Member

ok thanks i will check all that stuff out. i ran the codes again today and got a 33 and 41. this was after a computer reset and another drive for about 20-30 min. this 41 has me a little worried, it is lean condition continuous. so i have some concern about this. i am not really worried about thwe EGR thing, i know it is not functioning properly, i plugged the hole and unhooeked the vacuum.
the car only see's weekend duties now, really only test drives on the roadm, the rest is track time. thanks
ponypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 12:38 AM   #4
PeTr0
Registered Member

You might want to consider hooking up the EGR and see what problems remain. As far as that lean condition check the oxygen sensors and see what they are doing(cross counts or not) What if the computer is not getting those hydrocarbons from the EGR it is expecting??? Could that cause a lean condition or would it automatically compensate.

------------------
Red 1993 Gt- flowmasters,BBK Shortie Headers, BBK Hi-Flow H-Pipe, BBK cold air induction w/K&N, Pro 5.0 shifer, 130 amp alt., underdrives,pioneer cd player and kicker component speakers, Kenwood Excelon amp, 2 12" subs in the hatch,firehawk sz50 all around, timing bumped to 13 deg., ADS Superchip, and mobil 1 oil lubing the 302.
PeTr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 01:55 AM   #5
Capri306

Disabling EGR would cause a richer condition, everything else being the same. All the oxygen sensor does is detect how much actual O2 is in the exhaust, and it STILL sounds like a vacuum leak to me...or mebbe a bad EGO or connection to it. Either case, check 'em out. There's a lot more that could be causing this "lean" condition on the one sensor (odd that it's just one not both, eh?), but check the connections for now, and make sure the EGO ground is connected where it's supposed to be!!!

It may be a good investment to get an MSD box, since EGR and timing are closely related. Now that the EGR's disabled, you would benefit from a separate ignition system. Good luck finding the problem!

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote