MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-06-2002, 10:34 AM   #1
dragstang86
Registered Member

Default MAF ???'s

I want your guys opinion on whether it is worth getting a new MAF for my car or not. Ive never really checked in to them and dont know much about them. That is one of the few bolt ons that i dont have and dont know if i would gain anything noticable by buying one. How much of a gain would i see and do i have to change injectors and would it drop my gas mileage much further?

gt-40p heads
cobra intake - ported lower
e303 cam
roller rockers
70mm throttle body
bbk fender well intake
shorties
x pipe
flowmasters
pullies
c4 tranny 3500 stall
373 gears
aluminum driveshaft
lightened flywheel
msd ignition
orange injectors - (19 lbs right?)

thanks for your help,
bryan

90lx
86 coupe
dragstang86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 02:00 PM   #2
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Personally I think you would gain alot from a MAF with the modifications you've done.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 04:57 PM   #3
DRASTiK
Registered Member

you've got a 70mm throttle body. Do you also have the 70mm EGR spacer right behind it? If so, then yes I think a MAF would be worth the purchase for you. And yes, orange injectors are 19lbs.

You don't have to change injector size, however if you planned on doing it any time soon, then now is the time to do it because your MAF must be calibrated to whatever size your injectors are. I use a C&L 73mm MAF. The sample tube inside of it can be changed easily if injectors are changed. Most of the other brands require you to send them off and have them recalibrated if you change injector sizes. With the C&L setup, basically all you're buying is the outer shell. Then you put your stock ford sensor in it and you're done. If you change injector size, then you just spend 20 bucks on a new tube for your C&L. It's a very convenient product.

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 05:08 PM   #4
dragstang86
Registered Member

Thanks for your help...Do you think it would be beneficial to put 24 lb. injectors in my car with my current mods? Yes i do have the 70mm egr spacer. What type of gains do you think i may get from the MAF? Right now i have no mph at all. 13.30 @ 99mph with a 1.75 60ft. and thats leaving from an idle for traction purposes so i have can come up on the convertor and hook i can easily have a 1.6 somethin 60ft which is a 60ft quicker than your average mid 13 second car. The car seems to be running rich but i hope that this MAF might be able to give the boost that i need. What ya guys think?

thanks again for your help,
bryan

90lx
86 coupe
Old 10-07-2002, 06:44 PM   #5
Simi Stang

Default MAF??

Yes, you definitely need to "complete the total package" with opening up your air intake. You have all these mods to your motor that increase the amount of air and fuel that you are burning. So you are basically choking your engine of air right now with the stock MAF in there. Is that what you have? I'd imagine that would boost your mph some. Just putting a bigger MAF on a relatively stock 302 would not benefit the motor enough to actually "feel" the difference. But in your case...since your motor's intake of air is being somewhat choked, I think you will feel the difference and see the difference on the time slips. I'd go with a C&L 73mm for your application. Let us know if it helps boost that mph.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:01 PM   #6
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

stock injectors support up to 300hp i believe, maybe someone else can check that for me - John
Old 10-07-2002, 08:05 PM   #7
dragstang86
Registered Member

thanks for your help..im gonna go ahead and get the 73mm MAF. I just need to decide now whether to go with the 24 lb injectors or stick with the 19's. What do u guys think. My mods are listed on the first post. And yes I have to stock MAF on it right now.

thanks alot,
bryan

90lx
86 coupe
Old 10-11-2002, 12:22 PM   #8
Simi Stang

Default injectors

Yes, I'd use the 24lb. injectors. You are probably over the 300hp. mark.
Old 10-12-2002, 01:24 AM   #9
DRASTiK
Registered Member

I suggest 24's also

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 01:16 PM   #10
jruppert
Registered Member

I have a question in relation to the topic. I have a '94 GT with similar mods as the first guy. GT-40P heads (ported and polished), e-303 cam, edelbrock upper and lower, 70mm tbody, 77mm pro-m, 24lb injecters, tremec tko, 3.73 gears, and recently added underdrive pullies. Anyway, not too long ago my Pro-M took a dump on me. It started making the cats run extremely hot and started smoking. I ran codes and said that my MAF was running below expected min. voltage. I sent the MAF back to have them take a look at it and possible recal. At the time I bought this MAF I didnt realize that you could use the C&L and change the sample tube. So what do u guys think?? If Pro-M comes back and says that I need to replace the sensor at my cost should I do so or should I just invest in a C&L with the sample tube for 24lb. Pro-M claims that if its their fault, they will take care of it. Now I know they claim this but you know how it is, its never their fault. I am not sure what they will charge for the repair but from what I understand you can buy a new C&L for $190 or so. Let me know what you guys think.
jruppert is offline   Reply With Quote