MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-20-2002, 09:44 PM   #1
Ponycar_302
Registered Member

Angry Transmission problems

About a year ago I installed a new T-5 World Class in my 85 GT. I had some vibrations in the shifter. Last month the vibrations got really bad so I installed an aluminum drive shaft. (I didn't want to go through the hassle of balancing it and replacing U joints.) The vibrations, for the most part, are gone. Now my tranny is making noises. The noises are a constant whine, and what sounds like loose metal somewhere in there. Could I have screwed up the tranny with an improperly balanced driveshaft? Perhaps my driving style has trashed it. I've been known to hammer through the gears and I'm a little heavy on the accelorator sometimes, especially since I beefed up the motor some. I seriously doubt the modifications to the engine have exceeded the torque rating on the T-5 though.

I'm going to replace the tranny (probably sooner than later). Is it safe to go with the T-5 again, or should I upgrade to the Tremec? One last question; If I upgrade to the Tremec what modifications are required to make the cross member work?

Before you start sending emails asking for a date, the woman in the pic is not me! lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg michelle car 3.jpg (78.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 02-20-2002, 11:51 PM   #2
chris91LX
Registered Member

Can I get her phone number?

I replaced my T-5 with a WC or z or whatever you want to call it 2 years ago and wish i would have gone with a tremec or a TKO. I just upped my power also but the trans has been shaky for quite a while, and it only has like 12000 miles on it. Granted i have a tendency to drive like an idiot and have missed a few gears in my day, but i don't think the T5 is worth replacing unless your on a tight budget. You got the cash upgrade. I'm waiting for mine to take a dump and I'll be going with a TKO or maybe a T56
125 shot - 12.04 @ 113 1.59 60'
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 03:10 PM   #3
Tony Frank
Registered Member

well first off, do you have an aftermarket shifter, when i instaled mine it is tighter so you can hear the gears in the interior, it gets louder when you push the shifter to the side, and for the tremmec i have heard bad things about them, there was a earlier post that had this argument and many said that the t5 was worthy of 11 sec passes.

1985 Mustang GT 19,000 ORIGINAL miles, E-303 cam, edelbrock performer RPM intake, holley 600 cfm carb, MAC headers, windage tray, 8.8 rear end with 4.10 gears, 4"cowl hood, 5lug conversion, 04 Mach1 wheels.

http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?1501
Tony Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 04:31 PM   #4
Ponycar_302
Registered Member

Chris,
Thanks for the response. I think I'll go for the upgrade whenever I get the cash, but it's T-5's for now.

Tony,
The first thing I did was install a B&M Ripper in it the day I bought it.

Thanks for the responses guys.