MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-15-2002, 09:10 AM   #1
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Angry Long weekend...car problems

Well, it's funny how things work....you know, when you start out to complete a project that should be straight forward and simple, and it turns out to be a big mess.

This weekend I installed underdrive pullies and the Lentech valve body.

The underdrive pullies went on without a hitch. With a new stock belt and the alternator moved as far outboard as it would move on its supports, the belt tensioner reads well within range.

Next, we jack the car up and put it on stands and begin taking out the valve body. We basically got to the point where we had the pan off when we had to double time it back to the house (we were at a neighbors barn about 5 miles down the road) in order to take shelter from some wicked storms that blew up. We had a about 5 reported tornados within a 40 mile radius and a crap-load of hail in places. I've got some pics of the cloud base that parked itself directly over the barn where my car was, but luckily nothing made it all the way to the ground.

Anyway, we go back out that night and end up getting the suburban buried in a ditch running full of water...filled up the drivers side to the level of the seat with water...so we walked the half mile left to the barn and worked on the car (we pulled the suburban out about 10:30 that night with my neighbors tractor).

Everything went smoothly. We got the holes drilled and everything wired up, and the valve body bolted up nicely. There is a torque sequence for the valve body bolts, so I pulled out the torque wrench and started tightening them down. I kept going, and all of the sudden I felt the bolt give. I immediately got out from under the car and put the torque wrench in a vise to test it. Guess what. Yep, you guessed it. The torque wrench wasn't breaking. So, I had partially stripped one of the bolt holes. It still held torque, however, so I completed tightening all of the bolts with a wregular ratchet.

As I was double checking all 25 bolts, I happened to place the ratchet on one of the bolts I had tightened with the torque wrench. I gave it a simply turn to make sure it was tigh, and SNAP. I broke the damned thing in half. I was pretty disgusted now, so I bolted everything back up so I could drive it out the next day when the roads dried up. I leveled the fluids and we went home.

Sunday afternoon, I go back to get my car out of Michael's barn, and as I walk through the door, the floor of the barn is covered in a nice shiney puddle of transmission fluid. ****#$&!*!!! As I had to pull the pan again to strighten a kink in the gasket, I decided to go ahead and fix the problems I had created Saturday. I went to town to get a new bolt to replace the broken one, and then I went to work. We got everything torqued up fine, and on the stripped bolt, I used a little silicone just to make sure the bolt didn't back out. All the bolts held torque, and I put the pan on and filled her up.

The test drive went fine; all the air worked out of the valve body and it was shifting nicely. I made 5-6 hard runs to 100+ mph. Hey, if it's going to break, might as well break it now. Everything was fine other than my radiator boiling over. Anyway, I drive back up to Amarillo. The temperature is fine. No problems in town. No drips from the transmission. So I park the car, and started talking to my neighbor in her Explorer which was parked next to me. We had been talking for a while when I look over and notice a nice big puddle of transmission fluid slowly spreading from under my car. ***@&%@#$((!!!! I crawled under and it was leaking from the gasket again. I got my ratchet and tightened it down as best I could. I think I slowed the leak, but I don't know how much fluid I lost over night.

I just got through taking a test that I didn't study for, and I've got three assignments due tomorrow which I haven't started yet, and my parents are coming up tonight....oy...what-a freaking weekend.

Since I can't work on my car at my appartments, I'm just gonna take the thing to a shop and have them put it on a lift and fix the gasket and fill it back up. Should be loads of fun. Good thing my guns are at home, cause if anybody pissed me off today, it would be very tempting to, pardon my ebonics, bust a cap in their ***.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 11:29 AM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation Car hassles

Silver_Pilate:

I know how you feel, as do most of people on this forum and you have our understanding and sympathy. We've all been there - one way or another.

People don't believe me when I tell them that working on cars can bring a grown man to tears in minutes.

I've seen mechanics with 20 years experience scream and throw wrenches after trying to fix something for the tenth time and it just won't come!

Anyway, at least you know what the problem is and it's repairable. A lot worse when you can't find the problem at all. I'm sure this will all be fine in a day or two.

Of course, we tend to forget when things go our way.

I had a small collant leak that appeared to be from the water pump gasket and I assumed that I would have to replace it (PITA) - but on closer inspection it turned out to be a very slightly loose bolt that a quick turn of the hand wrench tightened and the leak disappeared. Alright!

I'll try to remember that the next time I have some seemingly insurmountable car problem that drives me crazy, but I probably won't. I think the ratio is ten good things to one bad in order to even it out.

Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 11:46 AM   #3
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Sounds kinda like me, I had to ride around with tranny fluid till I found all the leaks, it's all good now. But I was going through a quart a day.

I traiced it to both the rear main seal on the tranny, and the oil pan.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 12:09 PM   #4
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Well, I took it to the tranny shop to get it up in the air and take a look. When I checked the fluid level before going over, it ended up being only a quart low. I topped it off and drove all the way across town. They put it up, took a look, checked the bolts, drove it around....no leaks. I guess what I did last night solved the problem. Maybe it won't all leak out on me again, huh?

Now I just have to get a better water pump...or put the stock pulley back on. It's been running a little warm when I get on it in stop and go driving.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 12:12 PM   #5
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

If money wasn't a prob, u could get one of those electric pumps, but I think the stock pulley should work, there is a reason why they choose that size.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote