MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-15-2003, 09:58 PM   #1
ac97gt
Registered Member

Default transmission problems?

if i try to shift gears quickly (like as fast as i can, and even a little bit slower) it will grind, then go into gear. its almost like my synchros are going? im going to check/change the fluid this weekend, im not sure when it was last checked/changed. is there something else i should look for too? i have only noticed it doing it from 1st to 2nd, and from 2nd to 3rd, and again, only when shifted quickly. i notice it mostly when im getting on it, because thats when you shift the fastest, but even cruising slowly through a parking lot, if i shift real fast from 1st to 2nd, it will give a nice grind, but be in gear. im sure this is bad for it, right? (i mean it cant be good for it). if its not the fluid, and its, say, the synchros, how much would that cost to fix, and how much damage would i cause by not fixing and continuing to drive like it is? i dont know alot about transmissions, but i do know that its embarassing to get on it and have gears grind

btw if i just shift normal granny speed everything is ok.

any ideas/suggestions/info? thanks guys.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 01:12 PM   #2
RBatson
Registered Member

I don't know much about it either but I'd be looking at the clutch.
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 04:56 AM   #3
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

I'm no transmission expert, but sounds like synchros to me too, and like Rick said, maybe the clutch. How many miles are on it? You should try posting this in the tech forums! You'll probably get some answers there!
Old 09-20-2003, 01:43 PM   #4
ac97gt
Registered Member

yeah i was going to post in the modular forum, but this forum gets 10x more traffic, and the tranny isnt limited to modular cars.

as an added note to this problem, if i drive on the highway for an hour and get the tranny nice and warm, i cant get the problem to happen no matter how hard and fast i shift, what could possible cause this? how could the tranny being real warm make the problem completely go away. is it the fluid? im so busy this weekend im not gonna get to look at the fluid maybe some day this week.

oh yeah, there is 105k on the car and i have no reason to believe the tranny was ever changed or rebuilt.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 02:15 AM   #5
GT40FIED 331

Sounds like worn synchros to me...but then again I haven't been paying attention to trannys for the last couple years.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:19 AM   #6
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Same thing happened to me (mine was on the 2-3 shift), and I let it go it got worse and then<bang>..., I ended up having the tranny rebuilt. I would take it to a shop now, and save yourself the trouble later on.

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 10:12 PM   #7
82 GT
Import Slayer

I would have to almost bet it's your synchros. On my '88GT, I know for sure the 2nd gear synchros are shot. I get the same little grind when I shift fast from 2-3 just like you do but only when everything is still cold. I was thinking that maybe it was because I was hitting 3rd just a tad bit before I had the clutch all the way to the floor but I ruled that out because I can hit 3rd hard after it's warmed up.
So I think 3rd gear synchros are on their way out too.
I double clutch everytime now between 1-2 because those synchros are definatly shot but they will still grind if I'm on it hard.

I would think if you clutch was going bad that you would start having trouble getting it into gears and you would also notice the clutch slipping.
You're probably in the same boat as I am......... The 3rd gear synchros are going bad and the clutch wouldn't hurt being replaced.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote