MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-10-2001, 12:23 PM   #1
LT1 Z28
Registered Member

Post GM Guy gains respect for Mustang!

Well, Sunday night I was cruising with Mike in the Civic and as I was driving him home, I see that familiar green GT fly by on Riverside. I had to get up to 140 to catch up!

So we are bored and Seb offers to test drive his car. Mike goes first with me as a passenger. That thing is fast!

Anway, I go second. I will compare the GT with what I know best, the Z28 LT1 (93-97). Here is my review:

My first impression was the seating position. It is clear that the mustang gives a very comfortable easy to live with seating position. I found the seats very confortable and the accessories easy to reach. Other than the cheap pull lights switch, the interior is tastefully done. I am not surprised that the Mustang oversells the F-Bodies. It is much easier to live with on a daily basis.

The power is very surprising. There is no doubt in my mind that Ford growsly under-rated the GT at 260 HP. The powerband is wide and acceleration is smooth and progressive. Unlike an LT1 with low end brute torque, the Mustang is easy to launch and redlines at 6500rpm which is 700 more than a stock LT1.

The transmission feels good and was fairly easy to powershift. I was able to powershift 3rd gear whitout too much trouble. However, I prefer the T-56 by a long shot. The throws were about the same but the T-56 is a world class transmission.

The body is very tight and rigid. So much that it makes the car feel lighter than it really is. The stopping is very powerfull and even. The car is only about 200lbs lighter than an F-Body but it feels a LOT lighter.

As far as the looks is concerned, it is very subjective but the new GT's grew on me over time. I still prefer the more intimidating look of an LT1.

The sound, what can I say about the sound but that there is nothing like a true dual exhaust! The mustangs always had the best sounding exhaust since GM put a single on the F-Bodies. But for a stock car, the new GT's have a great sound and are not too muffled like the older fox bodied stangs.

Am I converted? Not really, I still prefer the looks of the F-Body but for an everyday, go to work car, the Mustang is a great choice. I would not be ashamed at all to own one.

Thank you for reading this!

Marc
LT1 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 12:36 PM   #2
69fastback
IRAQ VET

Marc it is nice to actually see an objective review for once. Most of everything u ever see are from ford guys or gm guys or just magazines writers that already know what they are going to write before they even drive the car. That was cool. I have only had the opertunity to drive a 99 auto gt so can't make to many comments. Have never driven an f-body either. It is nice to see someone be objective for once.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 5.4 xlt mark III
BUCKLE UP. SUCK IT IN.
Objects in the mirror are about to disappear...
QUICKLY!!!!!!

69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 01:19 PM   #3
LT1 Z28
Registered Member

Thanks. I am not a corporate ***** and I don't have blind faith in GM. If Ford comes out with a product I prefer (I really like the Focus ZX-3 for example) I will be more than happy to put my money where I get the most value.

I guess I am pissed off at GM for killing the F-Body! Maybe if they had advertised the thing to begin with!
Old 07-10-2001, 08:03 PM   #4
Mach 1
Registered Member

Welcome to the other side...I see more and more GM guys driving Fords everyday. Sooner or later everybody comes to thier senses.....

No offense, just have a strong dislike of GM products, and Im glad you liked the stang, maybe youll buy one next time around.
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 11:04 PM   #5
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Good review, I have yet to drive a new Stang, but they seem pretty nice!

------------------
Joe! 1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.58@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:www.joe4speed.com
99 Ninja ZX-6R:10.32@135mph!
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS 16.40@88.8mph
joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 09:41 AM   #6
LT1 Z28
Registered Member

If I could get a 2000+ GT for the same price of a 1993-95 LT1, I would seriously consider it. But for now, the best value is the LT1. If I wanted a car that my girlfriend would want to drive any day, I would get new Mustang. But my LT1 will be all mine!