MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-29-1999, 07:19 PM   #1
DADS67
Registered Member

Question won't charge

I have a 289 '67 that is driving me crazy with electrical problem..specificaly charging the battery. The car will run with a dead battery (does this mean the alternator is OK?) I have charged the battery, but when I shut the engine off..no juice. I have changed the regulator. No charging. I placed an after market Ammeter. No change + or -. I have established power out of the alternator. I seem to have power from the solenoid back to the battery. The guy I bought the (as is) car from sais he put a new alternator in after someone switched the cables of the battery and fried the alternator and battery. Is it possible soimething else burned? I think I have traced allthe wires. Like I say, the car runs great, starts easy, but no charge goes back into the battery. Could it be as simple as a bad battery? (the battery drops about 75% after each strt and re charges VERY quickly). Thanks.
DADS67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-1999, 09:45 AM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

It sounds like you've done alot of troubleshooting but one easy way to check if the battery is recieving a charge is to just get a voltmeter and check the voltage on the battery posts while the car is runing. With no load you should see about 14 volts and then turn on the lights and blower and whatever else you can and the voltage should be at least 12.5 volts preferably 13.
If this checks out your battery should stay charged. Give me a little more help when you said "no juice" does that mean it won't turn over?

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-1999, 09:08 AM   #3
Dark Knight
Registered Member

yeah, get the battery checked..sometimes they wont take a charge...and it doesnt cost anything to get it checked... ;-)

------------------
84 convt,'95 302, performer
3.55's, underdrives shorties
and a '68 stang that WAS nasty ;-)

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-1999, 05:30 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

Places like Auto-Zone will check battery, alternator, and regulator in the parking lot at no charge. They know you will probably buy the needed part from them. Has worked for me many times.

Rev
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote