MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-08-2001, 04:52 AM   #1
DemonGT
Registered Member

Post Header Install

well its not summer hear yet but its coming soon...i have my long tubes and catback and the h pipe is on the way...could some of you guys give me some tips and advise on how the install will go with my Mac long tubes..car is a '91 GT...what will i have to remove etc.

------------------
'91 GT,91K,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Aiwa deck,power acoustic amp,2 12" pianeers,UPDATE: Just got my Mac long tube headers and Cat-back

Future Mods:3.73's,Pro 5.0,Shifter knob,FMS 9mm wires
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 10:06 AM   #2
Green92LX
Registered Member

Probably have to jack the motor up to sneak those babies in there...maybe take out your starter and play with your steering too. I just swapped a set from an 88 GT to a 90 GT...they went on the 88 like butter two years ago, but we had to lift the motor up a few inches in the 90 to sneak them in.

------------------
1992 5.0 LX, V-1 S-Trim @8LBS, Edelbrock 6037 Heads, Cobra Intake,E-303, 1.6 Roller Rockers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP w/ 24 lb injectors,MSD 6A and BTM, BBK equal length shorties, offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers, Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors, Ponies w/ 225/50 Nittos, Dark Green w/ 93 Cobra Spoiler

Daily driver: 89 Coupe with 207K plus, BBK shorties,offroad h-pipe,2-chamber flowmasters with dumps
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 10:06 AM   #3
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

You will have to remove the steering shaft and loosen the motor mounts. Also, since you are removing the whole system get your hands on a SawzAll and cut the old exhaust out of there. It'll save you a lot of time and bloody knuckles.

PASSENGER SIDE:
The passenger side went in from the top.
We had to remove the throttle body to give us enough swing to work the header into position. We also had to slide the header in, raise the motor up, slide it in some more, lower motor, slide it some more, raise moter, etc. Once this one goes in you'll be celebrating. We didn't have to remove the starter (THANK GOD!). Just remember... when you get the motor jacked up high enough it will slide either way to give you a little more room.

DRIVER'S SIDE:
The driver's side went in from the bottom.
More room to work, but the steering shaft is a pain. Especially when you have to put it back in. Have some swivel adapters for your sockets handy and one of those stubby ratchets. Other than that, it's cake. You'll be celebrating after you get the steering shaft back in as well.

Good luck! And let me know how it goes!

Oh yeah, have some friends over for moral support and backup wrench crankers. It's definately not a one man job, but probably can be done by yourself if need be.
------------------
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here

[This message has been edited by 2FastLX (edited 03-08-2001).]
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 04:11 PM   #4
tomazzzo
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Dont forget about those pesky 02s. Ive heard some guys say you can reroute the wiring to reach the o2s at the end of the long tubes, but I could not figure it out. I ordered some extensions from www.downsford.com. had to cut a tab on the connectors to get them to match, then just tie wrap the wiring together out of the way.

I ended up replacing my o2s, they had 100k miles on them and were tripping the check engine light.

good luck.

------------------
Thomas Monahan
Shreveport, La.

93Reef Blue GT
BBK Ceramic Long Tubes
Flowmaster 2ch system
Pro 5.0 Shifter

tomazzzo is offline   Reply With Quote