MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-27-2002, 04:13 AM   #1
stangsrule
Registered Member

Default Correct Method For Aiming Headlights?

I installed new lights (all 6 in the front) and now they need adjusted. I know I could just eyeball it but wanted to do it right. Remember reading an article on the correct steps to follow but that was a long time ago and I can't remember what it said now... Anybody know? I know you put marks on a wall or door and use those to adjust your lights to, but don't know how high, how far apart how far from and all that stuff.... Any help would be appreciated!!!
92GT Lowered with Ebiach's and Koni's, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, lower G-brace and jacking rails. BBK upper and lower control arms, polyurethane bushings all around and Ken Bell blower, ram-air, 80mm mass air, SMC Alky Injection kit, J&S Knock Gaurd, TwEECer RT and a bunch of other stuff!
stangsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 05:06 AM   #2
Mach 1
Registered Member

The best way is to take it to a mechanic. They have a special tool that is used to adjust/aim headlights properly.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 06:52 AM   #3
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by Mach 1
The best way is to take it to a mechanic. They have a special tool that is used to adjust/aim headlights properly.
No kidding. I considered becoming Calif. certified in headlamp adjustments and brake adjusting (the two main credentials for okaying junk yard rebuilts!), and I sent away for the free state manuals. The headlamp adjusting manual is 77 pages!!!

Gnarly.

Measure the center of your headlight to the ground. Park on a flat, smooth surface, facing a wall, parked exactly 25 feet away. Make 2 marks on the wall inline with your car, at the same height as your headlamp centerline, and draw a horizontal line the width of your car, on the wall, connecting these points.

Set a deep socket on the exact center of your hood, close to the grille. Place another one in the exact center of your trunk. Stand behind the car, and look through the windows so that you can line up both sockets. Mark the wall where that line would hit it. Make this line go from the ground to 4 feet above the ground.

Measure the distance from the socket on your hood to the center of each headlamp, and go to the wall, and make coresponding marks, relative to the existing lines on the wall. You should end up with a pair of crosses on the wall that are roughly in the same place as your headlamps are.

Turn on your low beams. You want each one to sit so it's upper most part of the beam is below the horizontal lines in the crosses, and so that it is two inches to the right of the crosses vertical lines.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 11:15 PM   #4
stangsrule
Registered Member

Thanks for the replys... I want to try it myself though it does sound like a major PITA Oh well, will give it a shot. Thanks again!
92GT Lowered with Ebiach's and Koni's, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, lower G-brace and jacking rails. BBK upper and lower control arms, polyurethane bushings all around and Ken Bell blower, ram-air, 80mm mass air, SMC Alky Injection kit, J&S Knock Gaurd, TwEECer RT and a bunch of other stuff!
stangsrule is offline   Reply With Quote